Sign in to follow this  
monty67t

Game Froze

Hey guys, how's it going? Tonight I was playing a mission on our dedicated server with no addons, just default BIS stuff. We started engaging the enemy and I jumped up to move and my game completely froze. I couldn't alt+tab out, I could do anything, I had to reboot.

SYSTEM:

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775  

Mushkin 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

EVGA 8800GTX w/768MB RAM

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

arma.RPT

No point in selection zamerny.

No alive in 10000

note: Minidump has been generated into the file C:\Documents and Settings\RICHARD\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA\arma.mdmp

===FROZEN====>>>>>>BEG

Version 1.12.5252

Fault address:  0042B2DD 01:0002A2DD C:\Program Files\Atari\ArmA\beta\arma.exe

Prev. code bytes: 7E 2A EB 04 8B 4C 24 18 8B 01 8B 48 10 8B 04 B9

Fault code bytes: 85 C0 74 05 8D 48 18 EB 02 33 C9 51 50 E8 11 00

Any ideas on what this means? Any information is greatly appreciated.

monty67t

I got the same tonight.

Froze solid, waited about 20 min, no option but to "Hard Boot".

You might notice about 1 month ago same issues posted without reply!

One thing I did notice tonight was the CPU usage went from dual to flipping between max on 1 and 2 (back and forth) and my 2 gig of ram went to 100%.

Also, I noticed that there was a huge amount of data being transfered as my "Internet Connection Icon" was flashing rapidly.

weird

help.gif

Well, it happened to me again tonight. Someone has to have information about this. Please let me know if you do.

I have come across similar problems caused by some video card drivers... wich driver are you using?

I am currently on 174.74 (XP32bit) and i believe this driver is good and stable for Arma (havent played all that much tbh).

Ive been getting freezes as well.

Ive tried just about everything on my side to fix it.

Removed CPU/GPU overclocks, (even though Ive stress tested CPU=Orthos+TAT, GPU=Atitool). Ran AtiTool Artifact scanner for about 6 and a half hours no errors(with overclock). Ran orthos Blend priority 8 for 8 and a half  hours no errors or warnings(with overclock). Ran memtest+86 for like 9  hours, 27 consecutive passes without errors. (not overclocked).

Tried different drivers, 174.74, 174.93, 171.33, 171.23, 175.51 currently on 175.16 freeezing there as well. Uninstalled BE. Updated DX. Sound Drivers.

My temps are within normal ranges so I dont believe its overheating. Even put a 90mm fan on the video card, and a 120mm fan blowing over it, put AS5 on the GPU and cleaned up some of the extra thermal pad hanging of the sides of contact points to be more air efficient in an attempt to lower the temps further.

Installed and reinstalled, openal, directx, nvidia drivers, chipset drivers, audio drivers, in and out of safe mode. Updated windows to Service Pack 3, and have all updates....

Disabled sound. Disabled dvd-rom. Disabled and configuered other bios settings. Removed NIC card, using onboard now. Btw I had a 965p ds3 mobo as well, and had this same problem. I had installed this new mobo, and of  course reformatted.

Ran chkdsk  /f  , sfc /scannow  

Nothings worked so far, and its also completely random it seems. I can play for 20 minutes and freeze, or with the same setttings I can play for 6 hours or more and then freeze. But usually about 2-4 hours. Freezing also doesnt seem to occur during heavy load situations. Ive freezed while I was afk, or doing nothing really.

What Ive noticed is that some times Im able to ctrl+alt+del and end arma. But I am unable to use any graphic application without freezing and picture corruption. In rivatuner, video memory is shown being used even though Im no longer in a 3d app. Reboot is required.

WinXP 32bit SP3 with updates..

Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R  mobo

8800GTS 640MB

E6600 @ 3.2GHz  400x8

2x 1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 Dual channel  1:1

2x WD 40GB SATA RAID0

600w PSU with 35amps on the +12v

Ive also disabled many unneeded startup items and services.

--------------------------------------------------

Well, I installed Crysis and got the same freeze hmm. Ive played threw Crysis before with these same OC settings, Im thinking driver/windows update causing error.....??

This is what Im getting and nothing Ive tried has fixed it.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">===FROZEN====>>>>>>BEG

Version 1.12.5252

Fault address:  7C90EB94 01:0000DB94 C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll

Prev. code bytes: 49 00 90 90 90 90 90 8B D4 0F 34 90 90 90 90 90

Fault code bytes: C3 8D A4 24 00 00 00 00 8D 64 24 00 90 90 90 90

Registers:

EAX:01C39540 EBX:0123CE7C

ECX:0123CF38 EDX:0123CF3C

ESI:00800000 EDI:00000016

CS:EIP:001B:7C90EB94

SS:ESP:0023:0123CC2C  EBP:0123CD08

DS:0023  ES:0023  FS:003B  GS:0000

Flags:00000206

===FROZEN====>>>>>>END

I get the same error!!

I installed ArmA on a new machine and it always freezes (completely) on the starting video. It has never made it to the menu!!

The minidump generated is:

Quote[/b] ]

===FROZEN====>>>>>>BEG

Version 1.05.5136

Fault address: 7C90EB94 01:0000DB94 C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll

Prev. code bytes: 49 00 90 90 90 90 90 8B D4 0F 34 90 90 90 90 90

Fault code bytes: C3 8D A4 24 00 00 00 00 8D 64 24 00 90 90 90 90

Registers:

EAX:07F64000 EBX:00096F20

ECX:02AF2800 EDX:07F64998

ESI:01B9E614 EDI:00000000

CS:EIP:001B:7C90EB94

SS:ESP:0023:01B9E59C EBP:01B9E5EC

DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000

Flags:00000246

===FROZEN====>>>>>>END

I have tried EVERYTHING but can't make it work!

The system freezes completely (no ctrl+alt+Del, audio, alt+tab etc). The only option is hard-boot!

My specs are:

Win XP SP2 (+ .NET Frameworks installed)

M/B Asus Maximus Formula

Nvidia 7600 GT

Sata HDD

All latest drivers installed + DirectX March 2008

I'm currently on ArmA v1.05 but have already tried with v1.08 and get the same problem.

Please somebody help! I'm desperate trying to fix it!!!

Thanks in advance guys

Update: I believe Ive found the culprit on my system atleast....

Its Directx.

I installed an older Directx (Dec 2006), in safe mode, then nvidia drivers 175.51 (Quadro), and Realtek HD Audio drivers.

Ive used both the other drivers before with freezing. But I played today with zero freezes for 8 hours or so. It could be a fluke so I'll keep playing and report if I get anymore freezes.

If it is directx, Im not sure which months updates started the freezes or why.....

btw:  I also played with all my overclocks and my normal settings.

Link to download the older dx I used...

http://www.filehippo.com/download_directx/1981/

Thanks for the info.

I will try also and give it a try.

I have been playing with different Arma settings and using older drivers with what I thought was success but last night it happened again after about 2 weeks of no problems.

Last night what was left on the screen at the freeze point was weird.

It froze as I was getting in a non-modded hummer and what came up on the screen was a picture of the hummer all broken down in flat sections (reminded me of the pics I have seen by modders showing how things are broken down when making custom faces in the flatened out format).

Then the sound card started emitting weird screaching noises and the screen started flipping pics of the map in these "broken down" scenes as I mentioned above and started bouncing between 3 scenes. (Broken down vehicle, Map sections, Texture's of I don't know what)

On a side note there were 4 of us playing the mission (internet) and I was the only one with this level of freeze thing, however related or not, the desync went through the roof shortly after this?

What I am a little upset about is that nobody from BIS has at least acknowledged there is a potential issue here. To continuously keep trying different things is sort of getting old! 

I've had quite a few of these freezes, although I get a tree image from three angles at very low rez in three panes of the display, sometimes with noises or just a black screen and silence.

Sometimes alt-tab to windows and back will fix it, sometimes not. Only once has the program crashed with the send to MS request.

WinXp, 2Gb, 8800GTS, Audigy2, v1.12beta with no mods.

Ok new update:

I think my DX theory was wrong.

I had found out I had set Maximum Pre-rendered Frames to 2 instead of 1 like I would usually do.

So I set it to 1 and started getting freezes again. Set it back to 2, and no freeze for a couple hours.

So I reinstalled latest DX and same drivers...

Put Maximum Pre-rendered Frames to 2 and played for about 4 hours without a freeze. Ive tried 1 and 3(default) before with freezes, but its looking like it might be working with 2....

Weird Id say but if it works...

I'll keep playing and report if I get any more freezes.

Thanks for posting oChaos.DNJ, I had not reverted back yet.

I guess we just keep trying?

Well Im still getting freezes, but it seems to last longer with Pre-render frames to 2

Ive been getting same freezes I assumed it was overheating but v1.12 was running fine when it was released untill last weekend it would freeze.

q6600

8800gtx

2gig ram

xp32

I really think it has something to do with a xp update because I havent installed any new drivers and i did mess with the update which I had it set to never update. I remember trying to see if sp3 was out so I turned on automatic updates and it updated... Now I have these problems.

I don't know if this helps but I ran a little test this past weekend.

Playing (Co30) Evolution Blue V3 MHQ on a dedicated server.

Mostly solo, had one other person play for about 4 hours through the test.

At one point in the beginning of the game withing the first few hours I had some minor freezing issues along with some small desync.

During this time I had a few AI with me. I was only human player.

I had to hard boot a few times.

I decided at this point to try without AI (the other human played joined around this time).

Well, I would like to report that without the AI to game played somewhat flawlessly for over 51 hours.

(now I did not play staight through but stayed connected)

I have no idea what this might mean or if it might help maybe the "Powers-To-Be".

Could it be that there is too much going on in the game that is causing the freezing?

If so I am surprised more people are not reporting!

oChaos.DNJ, do you have any progress in struggle with freezes?

I've very similiar troubles. After 1-2 hours of playing my PC freeze, soundcard playing last note repeatedly and no keys are working (even capslock and numlock). It continues about 10 seconds, after that sounds gets back to normal mode but graphical part has a totaly mess on the screen. Textures placed on wrong positions, brightness is changed, text messages are unreadable and so on. Alt-TAB to desktop and back to game makes another 10-15 sec freeze with sound jamming but after that everything works fine until next freeze, which can happen after few minutes. If I decide close the game, before my desktop is shown, I have 10-15 sec freeze too. If my 3d screensaver activated I've freeze when I try to move my mouse. If I load a picture into viewer (it shows fullscreen) I've freeze when I press ESC to return to desktop. After some screensavers and photos I get error about NV_DISP. It annoyed very much.

My configuration:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8200

MB: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R

Video: Microstar 8800GT 512MB Zilent, Microstar 8800GT 512MB, Leadtek 8800GTS 512MB (I tryed all of them)

PSU: FSP Epsilon 700W

Videodrivers: lot of them

Sound card: Creative Audigy 2ZS (tryed to remove it and totaly disable any sound in system)

ARMA: Russian DVD with patches to 1.14 (with 1.08 freezes was too).

I monitored CPU with RMClock - no throttling noticed.

I monitored temperatures of CPU and GPU - everything fine.

I didnt play other games than ARMA, so cant say about same problem in others.

My next step will be to replace motherboard to other model. I dont know what to do.

No, I havent found any fix yet. Just that pre-render frames to 2, seems to help some for me.

I dont have the finances to buy and swap out different hardware but since others are getting this same problem, and after all the stress testing Ive done. I dont believe its a hardware problem.....

You say XP SP2...did you test with just straight SP2 with none of the other updates that came out before SP3??

Thats pretty much the last thing left that I can think of trying....that and maybe going back even further in drivers then 163.75 .

oChaos.DNJ, do you have any progress in struggle with freezes?

I've very similiar troubles. After 1-2 hours of playing my PC freeze, soundcard playing last note repeatedly and no keys are working (even capslock and numlock). It continues about 10 seconds, after that sounds gets back to normal mode but graphical part has a totaly mess on the screen. Textures placed on wrong positions, brightness is changed, text messages are unreadable and so on. Alt-TAB to desktop and back to game makes another 10-15 sec freeze with sound jamming but after that everything works fine until next freeze, which can happen after few minutes. If I decide close the game, before my desktop is shown, I have 10-15 sec freeze too. If my 3d screensaver activated I've freeze when I try to move my mouse. If I load a picture into viewer (it shows fullscreen) I've freeze when I press ESC to return to desktop. After some screensavers and photos I get error about NV_DISP. It annoyed very much.

My configuration:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8200

MB: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R

Video: Microstar 8800GT 512MB Zilent, Microstar 8800GT 512MB, Leadtek 8800GTS 512MB (I tryed all of them)

PSU: FSP Epsilon 700W

Videodrivers: lot of them

Sound card: Creative Audigy 2ZS (tryed to remove it and totaly disable any sound in system)

ARMA: Russian DVD with patches to 1.14 (with 1.08 freezes was too).

I monitored CPU with RMClock - no throttling noticed.

I monitored temperatures of CPU and GPU - everything fine.

I didnt play other games than ARMA, so cant say about same problem in others.

My next step will be to replace motherboard to other model. I dont know what to do.

Sounds like a similar problem like mine...

It either has to do with the Geforce 8 -series or the Core2Duo E8-series...

My Post

Is there a option to log what arma does?

i have the same problem, i tried all kinds of possibilities and nothing help.

i got these freezes after 1.11.

so it started with 1.12

may that help BIS to help us.

My configuration:

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600

MB: asus p5wdh-deluxe

Video: Nvidia 8800GT 1GB videoram, Nvidia 8800GTS 640MB (I tryed both of them)

PSU: 600W

Videodrivers: lot of them (yeah allot biggrin_o.gif )

Sound card: creativ x-fi musicO

ARMA: downloadversion metaboli...

Have any of you tried running arma with vsync on or app controlled with pre-render frames to 3? With my old 8800gts, I had problems running the game if I changed either of those settings.

I have an E8400 @ stock with 2 gig ram, an 8800gt 512ram,  cheap p5k se using winxp sp2 and onbaord sound and have no problems running it on very high settings with VD of 3500m.

Could it be the soundcard causing problems? I know on other game forums people have problems with creative sound cards.

I just count my blessings that I have 3 systems similar that all run arma without problems.

On a side note, it's crappy that some people with similar setups have problems while others don't. I also run 2 other machines E6750 and Q6600 OC'd with same MB and VD's and have no problems.

You say XP SP2...did you test with just straight SP2 with none of the other updates that came out before SP3??

Yes, few hours ago I install W'XP SP2, disable all update services, install july'07 DirectX - same problem appear after 1.5 hours of playing. Do you use any addons? I'm using @ECL addon pack which contain many different addons like RHS weapons, for example. In RPT file I found next strings:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Warning: rhs_weap\rhs_aks74p1p29.p3d:1 Error while trying to generate ST for points: 3098, 3027, 3028

Warning: rhs_weap\rhs_aks74p1p29.p3d:1 Error while trying to generate ST for points: 3098, 3028, 3099

Warning: rhs_weap\rhs_aks74p1p29.p3d:1 Error while trying to generate ST for points: 3028, 3027, 3031

...skipped similiar 370 lines...

Warning: rhs_weap\rhs_aks74p1p29.p3d:VIEW_PILOT Error while trying to generate ST for points: 3098, 3027, 3028

Warning: rhs_weap\rhs_aks74p1p29.p3d:VIEW_PILOT Error while trying to generate ST for points: 3098, 3028, 3099

Warning: rhs_weap\rhs_aks74p1p29.p3d:VIEW_PILOT Error while trying to generate ST for points: 3028, 3027, 3031

...skipped similiar 370 lines...

Warning: Degenerated faces found in model rhs_weap\rhs_aks74p1p29.p3d:10000

same bunch of lines about

Warning: rhs_weap\rhs_aps.p3d:1 Error while trying to generate ST for points: 701, 692, 702

Warning: rhs_weap\rhs_aps.p3d:VIEW_PILOT Error while trying to generate ST for points: 213, 212, 214

Warning: rhs_weap\rhs_ak74m.p3d:1 Error while trying to generate ST for points: 636, 632, 637

Warning: rhs_weap\rhs_ak74m.p3d:VIEW_PILOT Error while trying to generate ST for points: 856, 852, 853

Is it reason of freezes?

Could it be the soundcard causing problems?

No, it could not. I've got same situation with removed my Creative and disabled internal sound.

Yes, few hours ago I install W'XP SP2, disable all update services, install july'07 DirectX - same problem appear after 1.5 hours of playing. Do you use any addons? I'm using @ECL addon pack which contain many different addons like RHS weapons, for example. In RPT file I found next strings:

I use addons, but they arent the cause for me. Since I also play without them (depends on server). Never tried that....@ECL

@rowdied

Yes Ive tried changing the pre-render frames (2's best for me) and vsync.

Ive also disabled my sound to test if it was the cause, it wasnt.

Lets try to summarize what do we have common. Any details accepted.

I've got:

Hardware part: Intel P35 chipset based motherboard (gigabyte P35C-DS3R), G92 based videocard, E8xxx series CPU, Creative Audigy2ZS (but it is not cause), Western Digital hard drives.

Software part: W'XP 32bit (SP2/SP3 doesnt matter), drivers for Chipset/VideoCard/SoundCard, drivers and control panel for Razer Deathadder mouse, TeamSpeak, Arma 1.08 or 1.14, @ECL addon pack. Nothing more - clean fresh install of W'XP.

May be settings of ArmA will be useful too?

Differential diagnosis required. Foreman, Chase, Cameron where are you?!

try using a SlipStream copy of windows with SP instead of installing them one by one

it saves time and is more stable

I had the problems described here, too.

I also have a Asus P5W-DH Deluxe Mobo.

Solution for me was updating the Bios with the latest version available.

Since then my game runs perfect and i had no more freezings.

Perhaps a thing you could try if you haven´t already!

Well Ive had this issue on 2 different mobos, the 965p-DS3 with latest bios, and now on my new mobo EP35C-DS3R. With latest NON-beta version.

Theres a couple beta bios's but it looks like they are just to support new CPUs.

===

However currently Im trying out the nvidia drivers 162.18 WHQL. I havent gotten a freeze yet with these. Using Pre-render on 2, but I'll switch to 1 to see if it'll cause a freeze faster.