Sign in to follow this  
goose36

hellfire's on AH6

How hard would it be and what would be required to change the weapon loadout on a AH6 to two hellfire's, one minigun and a rocket pod. this would give the littlebird a bit more of a anti armour and stand off capability and putting it into the the fight a bit more. this loadout is used sometime in real life so it would also be quite realistic.

How hard would it be and what would be required to change the weapon loadout on a AH6 to two hellfire's, one minigun and a rocket pod. this would give the littlebird a bit more of a anti armour and stand off capability and putting it into the the fight a bit more. this loadout is used sometime in real life so it would also be quite realistic.

Bear in mind, this loadout is used with a laser range finder and sighting equipment that is not found on the BIS helicopter.

Exactly! I Would rather recommend to "demand" the Kiowa Warrior for that.

very true, i would rather a kiowa too but we dont have that yet. is there any talk of a kiowa by BIS or anyone else?

very true, i would rather a kiowa too but we dont have that yet. is there any talk of a kiowa by BIS or anyone else?

Maybe by the ACE Mod in any further release (i don't believe nor do i demand it in the initial beta release). WGL had it, so the chance is high that ACE will get it too.

Regards, Christian

That would be nice for the AH-6 except IRL it would never be able to pull pitch. Too heavy. Hellfires and the gear to run them are a weight issue. 160th does not use Hellfires on their AH-6's or DAP's. Speed, station time, and a whole lotta lead to overwhelm the enemy so the SOF can break contact is what they have.

As a former Kiowa pilot I wish someone would release a working 58D. I have seen a couple WIP's but never a finished product.

Scouts Out !!!

klamacz was working on a OH-58D Kiowa Warrior. Check this topic for more info.

I think it's time to bump his thread anyway tounge2.gif

MfG, Medicus smile_o.gif

That would be nice for the AH-6 except IRL it would never be able to pull pitch. Too heavy. Hellfires and the gear to run them are a weight issue. 160th does not use Hellfires on their AH-6's or DAP's. Speed, station time, and a whole lotta lead to overwhelm the enemy so the SOF can break contact is what they have.

As a former Kiowa pilot I wish someone would release a working 58D. I have seen a couple WIP's but never a finished product.

Scouts Out !!!

thanks mate, i'm sure i've got a pick of some on a LB and a DAP? i heard the 58D sometimes struggle with the wieght too, any truth too that.

just found this, could be a newer model, unsure?

I have seen those threads. The youtube is of "Test" bed helicopters. That gatling is the .50cal gatling. It was tested on the 58D and is the default gun on the new ARH.

Remember everything is a trade off in helicopters. More ammo/missles equals less fuel for station time. More fuel for station time equals less ammo/missles. More blackboxes to shoot ammo/missles equals less ammo/missles/fuel. High/hot conditions equals less of everything.

When I was flying 58A/C's my Cobras used to sit and burn fuel or literally bounce down the runway to get into translational lift to get off the ground when loaded up with all the goodies.

Two Hellfires is plenty on a Kiowa Warrior. The mission is not to destroy as much as possible. The main mission is to find/fix the enemy so the heavy hitters like arty/tanks/apaches/fixed wing can blow the bejesus out of them. Others include supporting ground troops as light attack overwatch.

AH-6's / UH-60 DAP's of the 160th Night Stalkers support the SOF. They are not attack birds. They are not Scouts. They use maximum LEAD on Target for support. Things like shock and awe, overwhelming firepower to help SOF break contact or initiate contact.

Scout's Out !!!

thanks for the input mate. i understand the tradeoff between payload and range/station time. have these new AH-6's have upgraded engines to allow for the greater payload?

I have actually seen little birds and Kiowas as well with hellfires on them. Its usually a package og a 20mm or .50 cal pod on one side and a single hellfire on a rail to the ither side.

Didn't the israelis have one with TOW missiles on it?

Kiowa's have the ability to carry two hellfires and one "Ma Deuce" (M2). The three-barreled .50 cal gatling was tested and is authorized for the Kiowa but sadly is not used. It will be the default armament on the new ARH-70.

Hellfire carrying AH-6 are actually MD500 Defenders. The 160th does not use them. If you had ever seen one you would notice the hellfires are carried on a UWP arm (universal weapons pylon like the Kiowa) not that straight looking board attach pylon. Read the above posts about 160th maximum firepower. Think to yourself about the light helicopter armed hellfire, you are shooting your entire wad in one shot. Then what? Oops, time to fly back to the FARP, thereby leaving the unit you were supporting with no cover. You tell that to the SOF unit pinned down behind the lines counting on your support. Sorry I am all out of bullets!!! Be back in 30.

20MM are not primarly used on light helicopters due to structual stresses. Remember they are LIGHT helicopters!!

Helicopter transmissions are the key in any new design/upgrade. Nearly 99.9999% of the current engines in helicopters are power down rated via the transmission. That means the engines put out more power than the transmission can handle. Beefier more heavy duty transmissions equals more weight which goes back to what I said earlier about weight/time/ammo. When engineers design/upgrade helicopters they do two key things. One is to make the new engine more fuel efficient. Two is to upgrade the transmission which equates to more lifting power.

Remember kids when Ma Deuce speaks everyone listens!!!!

Scouts out!!!

Kiowa's have the ability to carry two hellfires and one "Ma Deuce" (M2). The three-barreled .50 cal gatling was tested and is authorized for the Kiowa but sadly is not used. It will be the default armament on the new ARH-70.

whistle.gifName GAU19 whistle.gif

Best Regards, Christian