Sign in to follow this  
blackhawky

Support Units

I've been cruising around the forums today an realized nothing has been said about support units. They are usually the dark horse unit of this game but can add spice and of course help to it.

So I ask what can we expect for a support system and what are we all looking for in one?

I checked some cool flashpoint addons out and one that

caught my intrest was air to air refueling.

http://www.pbase.com/wmk/refuel

Really cool idea and can add alot of intrest into a mission.

Another was men jumping out of the back of the truck and coming over to the vehicle to make the repairs.

These kinds of things can really add feeling to a mission and can possibly be the center piece around one.

Grtz blackhawk

Not very much needed if you ask me. The size of landscape is just too small to have fuel ever become a major factor. same with lenght of engagement, the time in a game is just too much sped up. Playing online, everyone seems to just want to fire their guns as quickly as possible. Never any coordinated attack. Never any waiting as in real life. I want some of this, but not brought up fully to realistic levels naturally.

Actually, not often do I see servicing trucks actually being used in online games either. It tends to be a "fix-it-all" scripted solution which is not very realistic. Usually in an attempt to keep up the players desired pace -- being a game and not realism.

So having played 12 hours in a row, fuel never became an issue to anyone. You're either shot down or crashed youself. Ergo, I think air refuelling would be more of a showoff feature than anything anyone would actually use properly.

But I'd like the Osprey to have full servicing capabilities in ArmA2. Fuel, repairs, and ammo.

So, no thank you. They should concentrate on other features, and fixing age-old problems with the engine instead. But that's just my view.

What? I've seen many games where support units were needed. In public and in private, but more often in private games.

Not very much needed if you ask me. The size of landscape is just too small to have fuel ever become a major factor. same with lenght of engagement, the time in a game is just too much sped up. Playing online, everyone seems to just want to fire their guns as quickly as possible. Never any coordinated attack. Never any waiting as in real life. I want some of this, but not brought up fully to realistic levels naturally.

Actually, not often do I see servicing trucks actually being used in online games either. It tends to be a "fix-it-all" scripted solution which is not very realistic. Usually in an attempt to keep up the players desired pace -- being a game and not realism.

So having played 12 hours in a row, fuel never became an issue to anyone. You're either shot down or crashed youself. Ergo, I think air refuelling would be more of a showoff feature than anything anyone would actually use properly.

But I'd like the Osprey to have full servicing capabilities in ArmA2. Fuel, repairs, and ammo.

So, no thank you. They should concentrate on other features, and fixing age-old problems with the engine instead. But that's just my view.

I too have seen it many times where support vehicles were needed. Perhaps you might not be playing on the right server. Try the tactical gamer server(s) sometime. They are great and the only ones that I play on now. People actually take time to plan out missions and follow orders. There have only been a very few situations where people just run off on their own.

Guess I have to admit I might have been on wrong servers, but still... Fuel is not usually in such great demand that ArmA2 would need airborne refuelling systems.

We have a private session on our server every wednesday, and a modded version of Domination has been made to be a bit more realistic in terms of supplies. Still have respawn vehicles, but they can't create motorcycle or ammocrate; use a regular M113 for this. Engineers are no longer super-fixers, but have other possibilities now. This makes at least repair and reammo truck much needed vehicles in the field. In an even more realistic event we just had, I was told to get rid of the teleport functionality as well. So I did, but is back now. No respawn with few players is a no deal for me, as it takes away the fun for those killed early.

Sorry, got a bit off topic, but...

Well I needed the ammo and repair units in each tank mission in good old OFP =)

But on the other hand I don't think there is any need for more than three trucks, each one handling one specific task. thumbs-up.gif

I seen support trucks used in evo missions online public servers even, smile_o.gif

Its dependent on how long you survive also, if you make yourself through driving and shooting for 1-2 towns and then your car breaks down due to low fuel you really learn to apreciate a friendly enginner or other player showing up with a support vehicle fueling up your car , tank, chopper smile_o.gif

Also Support trucks is like a unsung hero of evo imo! inlove.gif

I kind of feel bad for you with the servers your playing on. Theres quite alot of people that try and get there vehicles back to base.

Fuel is a huge part of war, because without it how are your going to get the vehicles going? With a game striving for a realism feel I think its only right that refueling has its part in it.

Concentrate on other features, like the game engine? I think all these 'other' features like being able to fly 'nicely' modelled jets and 'real' tanks has kept ALOT of people intrested in this simulation.

I appreciate your view by the way.

For private servers, fueltruck is only needed if a vehicle has experienced a fuel leak due to extensive damage.

On public servers however, the simpler solution is usually used; blow it up with satchels or AT and get a new respawned vehicle at base (Domination mission) instead of trying to rescue it.

Maybe there is too much fuel available on the (land) vehicles? I've just noticed while playing Domination (usually on public servers) that the supply trucks, especially the fuel one, is very little utilized. Maybe the increased survivability (mobility kills instead of catastrophic kills) ov v1.14 will help on this. Lack of fuel is never what puts a vehicle to a stop in Domination, only enemy fire.

For private servers, fueltruck is only needed if a vehicle has experienced a fuel leak due to extensive damage.

On public servers however, the simpler solution is usually used; blow it up with satchels or AT and get a new respawned vehicle at base (Domination mission) instead of trying to rescue it.

Maybe there is too much fuel available on the (land) vehicles? I've just noticed while playing Domination (usually on public servers) that the supply trucks, especially the fuel one, is very little utilized. Maybe the increased survivability (mobility kills instead of catastrophic kills) ov v1.14 will help on this. Lack of fuel is never what puts a vehicle to a stop in Domination, only enemy fire.

I think if, instead of vehicles blowing up from bullets they just break down, support could play a bigger role. If the car is even salvageable, you'd might have to patch up the engine and wheels, and if the fuel tank was punctured then that would also require repairs before being refilled.

I guess the same goes for helicopters. If they wouldn't blow up every single time they crashed then we could get some decent support missions, (medic, search team, or repair) or some "I am injured by a crash and lost" survival missions.

Sorry for kind of getting off topic, but I just hope BIS makes it easier for the player to survive different situations to make the game last longer. By automaticly dying in those situations we miss out on a potential search and rescue or survival aspects of Arma.

The key there is working supression. Currently when Ai spots us, they aim and shoot instantly, causing kills -- hell, even while laying down sad_o.gif I can throw rounds their way, but they don't react well to it. They fire back (and snipe with machineguns) instead of running for cover and fire at my general direction.

Also, their view should be checked against actual polygons and clip masks, not just generic viewblock objects. I hate being shot by AI who can see me but myself I can't see where the shots is coming from.