Sign in to follow this  
LBpilot1

8800 problems

I just upgraded my video card from a 7900gs to a 8800gt and I now have a decrease in FPS, performance, and stability.

I cant play the game for more then 20 minutes without getting texture glitches or artifacts.

My card is not overheating so that not an issue. Its brand new so thats not an issue. The only thing I could think thats causing this problem is the drivers.

What drivers are people using for there 8800gt.

I use 174.74 and don't have any problem but if u problem still proceed try with -maxmem=512 parameter.

If you didnt, you need to uninstall the nvidia drivers. Go into safemode and run driversweeper for nvidia display (if you  have a nvidia chipset, Ive read people reporting it deleting some of those files, so may need to reinstall chipset drivers as well), then theres one file Ive found left over in windows/system32 called nvcuda.dll

You can delete that. Though it probably wont matter, since next reinstall the drivers (still in safemode) then restart and configuer your settings.

If your still getting these problems after that, its a possiblity that your cards not getting enough power, or even that the card is simply bad.

Also what version of game is it your playing? Id always crash with the VM error in 1.08 with my 8800gts 640mb . -maxmem=512 helped some. But playing the betas have been the best so far.

I use 174.74 and don't have any problem but if u problem still proceed try with -maxmem=512 parameter.

Im using those drivers with the maxmem512 parameter and I still get the same issues.

It's all about your old drivers in the case, I would say. I've had the same problems when moving to new graphics card e.g: 76950GT -> 8800 GTS. Same problems. I can't recommend a driver cleaner, but the above post would probably be a good idea to clean out the old drivers. If all else fails, if you reinstall Windows you won't have that problem anymore(assuming you have someone competant to reinstall windows).

smile_o.gif

Nope sad_o.gif GeForce 7950GT only supports DX 9.0b/c onchip (I believe that is accurate). I know it doesn't support DX10, but I can't state the exact version of DX9.0 is supports (9.0b/9.0c).

So all DX10 functions will be offloaded to the CPU for software rendering of DX10 effects from the card, which leads to more strain on your CPU when running DX10 apps. smile_o.gif

smile_o.gif

Nope sad_o.gif GeForce 7950GT only supports DX 9.0b/c onchip (I believe that is accurate). I know it doesn't support DX10, but I can't state the exact version of DX9.0 is supports (9.0b/9.0c).

So all DX10 functions will be offloaded to the CPU for software rendering of DX10 effects from the card, which leads to more strain on your CPU when running DX10 apps. smile_o.gif

smile_o.gif

i was only joking cuz u wrote 76950gt tounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.gif

that would be a sweet card tough.

Hello everybody...

This is my first post here so I hope it may be of some use.

I changed my 7900gs for a 8800gt yesterday 28/4.

Plugged in the new card and=== nothing apart from Windows and 2D applications.

Every time a tried to run a game ArmA/RO/Quake Wars the computer crashed.

So I ran CrapCleaner = No go.

So I ran Driver Cleaner Pro = no go.

I then pulled out all the plugs and swapped lines, (the card had a feed all to its self).

Guess what, every things working.

When I put the computer together a while ago, on the line that had the feed for the floppy drive I naturally plugged the DD & DVD as well.

False.

My 7900gs worked without any problems on the 2nd line.

Check it out.

I have a cheap 480 PSU, which in theory is sufficient for a 8800 gt but only just.

Might help, might not.

Good luck.

A cheap 480W PSU for an 8800!Wow...You should look at something around 600W mate.I am running a mediacore 600W PSU and it is good.Also it won't be bad to reinstall your Windows (starting things on a fresh OS are always better smile_o.gif )

nice topic, ive been thinking of upgrading my 7600Gt to an 8800GT.

Not just for arma, but for other new releases ive recently bought..

mabe this summer....

Running ArmA Beta 1.12 on:

Amd Phenom 9500 Quadcore

3Gb Ram

8800GT NV

Direct X10

Vista 32 SP1

Norton IS 2007

All or some settings on High, i have NO PROBLEMS

whatsoever...Thats when playing Vanilla mod (NO

addons). When i runs addons, sometimes i get weird

performance but that i blame the addon itself.

I had some problems at first...Then i Updated DX through

OFFICIAL sites.

I updated 8800GT with 174.84 UNOFFICIAL Beta drivers

And now sweet gameplay...

Try driver cleaner pro, works good and is free. Get it over at Guru3d.

On a side note, I have an 8800gt 512mb card and an 8800gt 1gig card and I notice the texture lod more with the 512 card. Same MB, 2 gig ram and C2D 6750 @stock in both systems and same driver 169.09.

Hi,

Count me in in this post.

I've an XFX 8800GT XXX and Arma like VBS2 crashed sometimes in same way (perhaps same graphic engine).

Little sound loop and system totally freezed with a lot of little red dots....

All others games works fine like crysis...

It's not a GPU overheating... (was around 80°C)

I've played Crysis 2 hours with GPU@92°C without any problem.

I format my PC, issue is still present....

My spec:

Intel Quad 6700

4GB Crucial Ballistix

XFX 8800GT XXX

ArmA launched with -maxmem=512

Thanks a lot.

175.16_geforce_winxp_32bit_international_beta.exe

use this driver. all is running smooth. no hangs no stutter no crashes anymore. played sahrani-life for more than 6 hour. (including many switches to desctop and using skype etc.)

be shure all is up to date like directx, sounddrivers ...

i had pretty much problems before with patch 1.12 beta BUT

IT WAS NOT BIS´s FAULT !!! it was the grafic card driver !!

so don´t blame BIS anymore. take them and be happy wink_o.gif

link:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

choose betadrivers !!!

there are english and international. also uninstall old driver !!! and than use any drivercleaner u find around.

than install this one.

happy playing wink_o.gif

@BIS patch 1.12 beta is great biggrin_o.gif

I just upgraded to an 8800GT & Vista. When I first ran ArmA, I had the 169.25 drivers. I was very disappointed, as the game ran very poorly and stuttered constantly. Lowering visual settings made no difference.

After reading this thread, the BETA drivers sounded promising. I installed the 175.16 drivers. I am VERY impressed. The stuttering is completely gone and it runs very smoothly on high settings now. biggrin_o.gif

i dont get it, after restart the system crashes are back and game hangs again. somthing is really wired.

may the drivers gone nuts. i have no clue anymore.

frames are still fine, ecxept when 32 players are on the map than it drops but still playable.

i have no clue anymore

its strange i had the hangs and crashes , than i erased the

ArmA.cfg and than it was working ok fine.

but it makes no sense to do that everytime i start arma.

i dont get it all happen random.

2 crashes happen like this:

bagango middel of city, from 50 fps it stuttered down to 2 fps, arma crashed (so no grafics) but was still in the task.

the same at pita airport when i got near the hangars.

than i tried it again, and the same happend in pita, but i changed the texturresulution to normal, than it was ok, than i put it to high and arma crashed, and nvidia driver get the massage:

nv4_disp.dll ... bla bla bla.... and all was in 800*600 and in 4 or 16 colours.

its really strange.

after restart and deleting ArmA.cfg it work fine...

any solution for that problem huh.gif