Sign in to follow this  
l mandrake

How to reverse left/right stereo?

Running Win XP. I'm guessing there's a simple way to tell ARMA/Windows to reverse the left and right audio channels, but can't find it.... anyone?

P.S. No soundcard, using on board Realtek HD audio chip.

Cheers

Mandrake

Is it possible for you to just switch the speaker wires. Would that solve your problem.

heh, I use headphones and they are clearly marked L and R so I dont think thats the problem!

speaker wires, makes sense.... thanks.

maybe put the headphones the other way around in ur head??

Putting the headphones "the other way around" is a very dangerous procedure!The patient may start to hear games correctly but real life backwards which will cause a major confusing in the brain causing it to go to a more stable state (all systems shutdown).You should be more carefull when telling people to do stuff like that!Be ashamed mad_o.gif

Well if they're a cheap set of headphones, I'd just cut them off about 4" from te plug & reverse the lines. You could even go to Radio shack, Home Depot or Auto-Zone and get some spade terminals to crimp on, making it simple to switch back in the event that ArmA is the only fudged-up game for you.

Granted it's not an ideal solution, but I couldn't find any registry "control switch" so I'm out of ideas. crazy_o.gif

Putting the headphones "the other way around" is a very dangerous procedure!The patient may start to hear games correctly but real life backwards which will cause a major confusing in the brain causing it to go to a more stable state (all systems shutdown).You should be more carefull when telling people to do stuff like that!Be ashamed mad_o.gif

tounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.gif

In your sound card settings there ought to be a 'reverse stereo', or 'speaker calibration' setting.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a 'reverse stereo' setting in ArmA.

I'm sorry for the utterly idiotic replies you've received so far.

I'm sorry for the utterly idiotic replies you've received so far.

Well, using the same onboard Realtek chip he is here and as improbable as it may seem there isn't an option to reverse channels in the Realtek HD software, had there been I would have led him to where it was. So short of buying a new headset and hoping the lazy bench tech could tell his left (channel) from his right, as crazy as it sounds, mine is probably the best choice he's got.  tounge2.gif

**Edit**

And yes, I did spend about 2 hours in regedit, performing searches for realtek and checking to see if any values related to "set right channel" or something similar. But I too find it hard to beleive that Realtek could have left something so simple and commonplace out as a L/R channel swap function.

yeah I just took a look through my realtek setup stuff and I can't believe that they don't have that. They have environment simulations, noise suppression, acoustic echo cancellation... but no option to reverse the stereo? Good lord.

I guess all he can really do without purchasing new headphones or a new sound card would be to ensure that the headphone jack is seated fully and properly. Sometimes if it's not in all the way it can make some strange behaviour.

I guess he can also make sure that the jack he has his headphones plugged into is properly configured in headphones mode.

Is the problem with switched L/R specific to ArmA only, or is it system wide? If ArmA only, is it for all sounds, or for some only?

If it is system wide, you should contact technical support for your system.

"Reverse stereo" option should not be needed, just as the "mirror L/R" is usualy not available for the display. smile_o.gif Each component of the system should have a clear notion of what is L/R and should respect this.

I have tested this now - the problem is specific to Arma (1.08 and beta 1.12). Very strange!

System sounds (including mp3 audio via itunes/media player etc) respect proper l/r channels.

Will test with other games also.

Mandrake

EDIT - tested with R6Vegas - also have same l/r reversal problem, so obviously a system problem after all (but no idea what!wink_o.gif

Thanks for all ideas will keep searching!

Just for curiosity's sake, have you updated your DirectX &/or Realtek drivers (had an update a few months back but was never displayed in WIndows update, unlike the friggin onboard nic which wont go away to save my life. lol).

If so, try a rollback for the sound drivers. If not update both.(Note: U should really reinstall sound & video drivers after a DirectX update)

It might help but really wont hurt in any event.

If you see it with some games only, chance is it perhaps might be OpenAL problem? Can you check if the other games showing the problem use the OpenAL as well?

If confirmed, installing a recent OpenAL might fix it if you are lucky.