Sign in to follow this  
KeyCat

How many use the Postprocessing effects?

I'm just curious how many ArmA players there are using the postprocessing effects set to high or very high? I can see a lot of use in the video and screen shot threads but how many actually plays with it?

I really like the idea of it but personally can't stand that the whole screen gets all fuzzy and blured (could this be dependant on what graphic card/driver being used?) so I always revert back to low settings for PP.

Postprocessing effects set to high (blury)

ArmA_112b_PP_high.jpg

Postprocessing effects set to low

ArmA_112b_PP_low.jpg

Probably to late for such a change in ArmA but something to think about for the future...

Wouldn't it be a better implementation if all except center of the screen was blured when looking thru the iron sight with the right mouse button (i.e simulation that you focus your eyes thru the sight) and only then, instead of whole screen being blured all the time?

/KC

Edit: Added two screen shots (resized from 1280x960) to show how it looks like on my machine (actually the blurriness is even more pronounced in full scale pics).

Blurry screen only happens to me when im spectating and im too close zoomed into a player, or when you're sitting too close to a bush, otherwise I can't remember any blurring problems etc smile_o.gif

I don´t like Post-Effects that much. They always make me think that I need glasses. While I see the reason to approach these things with the natural limitations of humans eye I don´t see why things displayed on the monitor should artificially be blurred to death as the monitor FOV already represents a focus. In fact I find using the post-effects hindering and only little contributing to a game in general.

Imho PP is excelent for Intros/Cutscenes but not for Ingame action.

In real the eyes focus automatically to the distance you want to see sharp.

In Computergames is the change to get the correct focus point imo is a minimum 80% failure, so i turn it off. confused_o.gif

actually you dont need postprocess much if you have the AA at high. Both used to eliminated jagged look imo.

I have AAx16 and PP off.

I sometimes turn it on to have the out of focus effect on the ironsight.

what i'd like to see is

high -> everything is very slightly blurred, ironsight blurred, ironsightview clear only

veryhigh -> everything is blurred, ironsight blurred, ironsightview clear only.

so that we can decide

what i'd like to see is

high -> everything is very slightly blurred, ironsight blurred, ironsightview clear only

veryhigh -> everything is blurred, ironsight blurred, ironsightview clear only.

I don't get why the screen should be blured at all when looking strait forward in normal view (i.e without having the ironsight up and focusing your eyes)? It's not in real life - unless I take off my glasses of course tounge2.gif

Below is an example how it's modeled in another game (just for the record - no comparisons otherwise since IMO ArmA is by far a better game/sim overall). To me that is a much better representation on how I percieve things in RL...

PP on and normal view.

CoD4_PP1.jpg

PP on and looking thru the iron sight.

CoD4_PP2.jpg

Maybe there are technical/other reasons why BIS decided to do it the way they did? Maybe it's less demanding on FPS, works with more HW etc. I have no clue but I'm eager to learn if any graphics experts is lurking around...

/KC

Not using it. It doesn't fit well if you are near vegetations..

Especially bad if you use your binocular near a tree/bush, even when you are in prone it is hard to see clearly what you want.

The effect often apply badly, you see "clearly" the "ground" just below your head and the thing "far far away" you wanna see is "blurry" sad_o.gif

Its about losing the details in the distance.

You cannot see things in distance in full details as if they are next to you. PP also tries to create that effect.

PP is dynamic..ie a leaf in front of your eyes effect may effect the whole picture. It may seem strange to most FPS players as they almost never come in contact with leaves.

Yes the center view should be clearer as you focus that area with pistol but with ironsights it is only the view from sight itself.

Regular view should ve blurred after a certain distance tho.

How can you see 100mtrs in full detail while focusing the area and while just looking toward the direction.

Actually its not about blurriness.

looking far -> closer objects blurry - focus clear - distant less detailed

looking close -> close objects clear - focus clear - distant object less detail.

so actually blurring occurs within distance between your eye & your focus point.

Hard to mimic in 2D environment...your focus points in a single screen (FOV) is limitless in RL but you need to pick 1 point in the game and change everything accordingly.

For me its a bit too much milky look....less effect would be etter imo.

Its about losing the details in the distance.

You cannot see things in distance in full details as if they are next to you. PP also tries to create that effect.

PP is dynamic..ie a leaf in front of your eyes effect may effect the whole picture. It may seem strange to most FPS players as they almost never come in contact with leaves.

The problem is that the game doenst know where im looking at on my screen, it just seems to focus on whats in the middle of my screen but my eyes arent fixed on that point. (And when there is a leaf in front of you you dont just start staring at it right? You look next to it to see whats (Not directly) behind it)

I dont use the pp settings, i always have them on low.

The focus depth is not realistic enough yet for games and distracts me from my gameplay.

That is just how it works for me.

It looks very great is some movie clips so i can see what they are aiming for.

Below is an example how it's modeled in another game (just for the record - no comparisons otherwise since IMO ArmA is by far a better game/sim overall). To me that is a much better representation on how I percieve things in RL...

/KC

I like the CoD4 comparison shots shown. This would be a good affect for ArmA. I personally do not use PP in ArmA due to my eyes get blurry enough after a few hours of gaming w/drinks. The clear center view would look more RL to me also....... even while drinking.

I never have it on high. I find that it only serves to make my

view all blurry and myopic. If someone's eyes actually did

work like that then they'd better get to an ophthalmologist

pretty damn quick!  I wish you could switch it on and off in-

game, though (it'd be great for simulating a steamed-up "gas

mask" smile_o.gif )

I have it on high, I like it a lot with distant trees and other objects that are >500m. Having it a bit smoother gives me a more natural look as trees normally don't have the hard edges you see with PP on low.

I've actually compared ingame sight with reallife view from my window. I live at around 50m high and have a great view over my surrounding. With PP on High it looked better than with PP off, but I've not compared it with my eyes over some sort of sight.

BTW, the CoD shot you show does NOT only focus between the circle, it only doesn't focus on nearby objects. Only the wall on the left is out of focus, and the CoD visuals are designed to work good on a TV screen in a small scale location... I don't think this way would work better for ArmA over the current implementation

Post processing doesn't look good on low resolutions. But if you play on a decent resolution like 1280x960 or higher it looks pretty good. It gives better colour and makes distant trees leaves look smoother and a little more realistic.

On low resolutions like 1024x768 the depth-of-field effect looks a bit off and more like a weird glow. I guess that's also when the game goes a bit blurry from it.

Post processing doesn't look good on low resolutions. But if you play on a decent resolution like 1280x960 or higher it looks pretty good. It gives better colour and makes distant trees leaves look smoother and a little more realistic.

On low resolutions like 1024x768 the depth-of-field effect looks a bit off and more like a weird glow. I guess that's also when the game goes a bit blurry from it.

That's probably it, then. 1024x768 is "high resolution" on my setup confused_o.gif

i must sign myself for not using PP in ArmA

AMD.ATI HD3870 , 8.5alpha drivers

i dont use it in 1650x1050 nor 1920x1080 because my eyes can't handle that blur and dizzy feeling (more than just motion sickness) ...

i don't know why, i tested various LCDs (fast TN w/o input lag, low latency MVA/PVA/S-IPS everywhere it looks dizzy

---

for some reason i think most games totally overdone so called 'HDR' 'Bloom' 'DOF' 'MotionBlur' etc ...

i mean i'm fine with blur from shockwave or DOF while 'focused' or similar correct use ...

I cannot stand PP effects at all. Tried it a few times but I got a headache from the blurred screen.

Some interesting figures/opinions, keep em coming.

I wan't to ask if some of you that uses the PP effects can post some screen shots of your screen as well as write down your graphics card/driver? I'm still wondering if the PP effects are somehow dependant on that?

Some mentioned resolution as an factor and that is a good point.

/KC

If you can set up an mission file for which I only need to load, take a screenshot and have you compare it, I will be glad to post it smile_o.gif

I'm not to sure but on my previous card I had no different PP fx then I have now; Nvidia Geforce 6800 GO 256mb vs ATi HD 3870x2 1024mb

I said "No." despite having enough power. I'll put it on if I want it for a movie but to be honest I'd rather have the extra 20-25 frames per second and be able to see where I am going.

It is somewhat over-done in first-person gameplay tbh confused_o.gif

I could use it, but i don't like it.

edit: its good for pics though. tounge2.gif

I dont use it neither.

I do like how it looks tough if you are sightseeing and taking some pics but while playing I really dont like it.

Specially if you are close to some leafes or laying down. Its like as if there is something in your eye which makes you cry.

I play with 1280x1024 everything on high or very high except PP which is on normal.

I do like how it looks tough if you are sightseeing and taking some pics but while playing I really dont like it.

Maybe the whole idea about blurring in games is just stupid.

When using a camera or just some lenses in reality you'll notice blurriness and "focusing" when it occurs. But you'll never notice a partial blurring in your field of view when your eyes focus on something because a concentration on these parts of your view isn't present in this moment.

It doesn't have to be simulated for me in any way, as I already tend to build up a tunnel vision when I'm really concentrated on the crosshair in the game. Vice versa I won't strike a good hit when I don't concentrate on the crosshair and "cheat" by scanning the areas in the "not real" sharp corners of my monitor.