Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Bell

Schmalfelden, Germany Map

Thanks for all of your hard work, NB - just as a small request, please don't go overboard with objects in the town - my FPS are fine in the country, but in the city in your second version there is a very brief pause in FPS when looking around sometimes...

No biggie, just a request mate - I don't think the average player wouldn't be too fussed over stop signs and road markers - it's more about the firefights! pistols.gif

Thanks wink_o.gif

Stew

As theres no dl yet there might be room for another suggestion biggrin_o.gif

Been able to re-find an ofp object pack that had some german street signs, and luckily it 'runs' in ArmA, needs some config fixes though and i also dont know if it works in visitor.

arma_ger-signpack.jpg

Heres a link to the original addon: http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=7476

wow.. that look wery danish.. scary enough :S

But would be cool to see on schmalfelden

Yeah, bringing the tree count down will be a big help.

I tried creating a Soviet infantry assault through a forest and the U.S. troops would get bored and walk up to the treeline and shoot all the Sovs in the woods like fish in a barrel. OpFor spent too much thinking time just trying to get through the forest.

Those shrub lines will be a welcome addition.

Mr Burns, you have a good eye for nice pictures smile_o.gif

The following areas marked in red show forests which have been thinned out as of v0.82. If you want to check FPS or create a mission in woods use these.

forestclearingprogress.jpg

Two rules of road reflector posts placement:

- Never inside built-up areas

- Only on roads that are accessible to private cars

I've noticed a break in these rules inside Schmalfelden and on most of the agricultural roads south of Windisch-Bkfld.

Another issue: The boundarys of the fields south of Windisch-Bkfld. are not like they used to be. I know the reason why you did that, but its much too straight. Looks strange when seen from above

Thank you Nicholas Bell for the update. I'll try it sometime tonight !

I didn't think of the map size parameter in Visitor, which explains why you can't really extend it. OK, got it wink_o.gif

Keep on improving this map ! I hope some of us can make some serious mission on it, with or without addons.

Malick

Mirror updated by ePrison.de

Schmalfelden Beta Map v.82 by Nicholas Bell

EDIT:

Quote[/b] ]As theres no dl yet there might be room for another suggestion biggrin_o.gif

Been able to re-find an ofp object pack that had some german street signs, and luckily it 'runs' in ArmA, needs some config fixes though and i also dont know if it works in visitor.

Yeah Nice Mr.Burns! Please adde the Object Pack Nicholas, it´s fantastic Idea and please adde the Community Mirrors in the first Post, thanks!

@ Legislator: Attention! Zitat Alex.Sworn

Furthermore many new Addons were provided and taken over from OFP. Please, follows some of these Addons of other people come and therefore to rights are coupled. The AGS Addons belong to it. Hence, here his licence. please keep to this.

Sorry, my English is not the best... whistle.gif

Best Regards,

Stavanger

Just tested the latest version ... very very good now! I've set the viewdistance to 4000 m. While flying around with an A-10 I've got only up to 30 fps, on ground in the towns 30 to 60. It's ok. There's no airport so players won't fly planes anyway. It only may be annoying for chopper pilots.

The textures look far more better than in ealier versions. I'm eager to see some german like objects biggrin_o.gif

Check out La Samula & Syr Darain. There are lots of new objects you could use if you wish. Not all, but a few placed on good locations. Especially the wind turbines would be interesting. I've heard rumours they're gonna be animated in future versions.

New version works nicely, however I got great FPS on the version before even with FRAPS running (even in the woods). Hmmm..

@ Legislator: Attention! Zitat Alex.Sworn

Furthermore many new Addons were provided and taken over from OFP. Please, follows some of these Addons of other people come and therefore to rights are coupled. The AGS Addons belong to it. Hence, here his licence. please keep to this.

I don't think there's a problem. If Nicholas decides to use some things I'm sure he'll contact the authors.

And besides ...

Quote[/b] ]4. This EULA grants User the personal and non-exclusive right to:

a. install, use and modify the Software. The Software can be used only for modding and playng "Operation Flashpoint", "VBS1", "Armed Assault" and derivated products by Bohemia Interactive Studios.

b. re-distributed the Software in its entirety, complete with accompanying "ReadMe" document and absolutely free of charge.

c. create and release modified content on terms described in section 6.

5. Restrictions of use:

a. User may not sell, sub-license, rent or lease any portion of the Software.

b. Any commercial or military exploitation of any portion of the Software is prohibited without explicit permission from the authors.

c. Use of any portion of the Software for creating game content for any other games than specified in section 4.a is prohibited without explicit permission from the authors.

... I don't think it'll be a problem for us tounge2.gif

And if there won't be some additional objects like construction sites, power plants, wind turbines and road signs on the map - I can live with it. Then I'll place them in missions. Would be just a very cool feature and could help keeping missions smaller.

Thx for new version.

This great map is a part of my upcoming campaign. Very Beautyful inlove.gif

Mirror from BIS.4Players

Schmalfelden Map v0.82

Regards

Imutep

Awesome map mate.

Been playing co-ops on it all weekend and it has been absolutley mint!

The flat open terrain makes a welcome change to the hills and mountains of ArmA. Also makes ambushes that bit more challenging.

Keep up the good work!

Griff

Quote[/b] ]Two rules of road reflector posts placement:

- Never inside built-up areas

- Only on roads that are accessible to private cars

Another issue: The boundarys of the fields south of Windisch-Bkfld. are not like they used to be. I know the reason why you did that, but its much too straight. Looks strange when seen from above

Panther77 - Thanks for the tips. I will make the corrections. I went a bit overboard I guess. I think I will keep the posts on the main roads between the towns, however. These roads are secondary roads, not farm tracks - even though I used the plain asphalt roads. What I need is an intermediate asphalt road, one which is wider. But I am stuck using what is available. In hindsight I should have used the highway road type with stripes for these secondary roads. But I didn't because they don't have highway stripes which are clearly visible in the Google Earth imagery on the main highways. I spent several hours last weekend unsuccessfully attempting to retro-fit the striped highways into the map to replace these secondary roads. It just created too many problems. There are a lot of things I would have done differently in January if I had the knowledge I do now.

I am unclear about what you mean about the problem with the field boundaries. There is the "edge of map" problem right through the middle of Windisch-Bkfld going south. Or do you mean the work I did in the forests on the east side of the map?

I am going to forgo the use of Alex Sworn's objects. He's done some very nice work, but I don't see anything which matches the needs of the area in terms of what is actually there. What we really need is a complete set of well-kept German type structures rather than the run-down N. Sahrani buildings and other buildings I have "shoehorned" into use. That would be a major undertaking.

As I have mentioned before, I will release all the source files for this map when I finish correcting all "my" problems. I don't think it appropriate to make others fix my mistakes. Adding and deleting objects from the map in Visitor is not a complicated process (easier than in the editor since you can do it in 3D real-time in Buldozer) which will allow you to add those wind turbines or whatever else you might want.

Uziyahu--IDF: Thank you for posting that video. It gave me encouragement to keep working last night.

I appreciate all your kind words! It is good to know the map is being put to use and being enjoyed.

What about power lines? That's an important challenge for helicopter pilots. Would be nice to have at least a single long line of those on the map.

I'd like to see a few more "unique" areas, like that rock quarry or whatever it is. That's an area that stands out.

Are there no canals or ditches along the roads? Or does that introduce too many problems for A.I.?

If this terrain is smaller than Sahrani, does that mean the terrain can be more detailed?

Quote[/b] ]Are there no canals or ditches along the roads? Or does that introduce too many problems for A.I.?

I hope there will be at least a few ditches. A lot of country roads got them, they're about 1 metre deep I guess. Click me, I'm a picture.

Maybe some people can help getting ideas for missions on Schmalfelden. I need something extraordinary. I don't wanna create a search & destroy mission because you can do this anywhere. Is there any military event known?

I hope there will be a huge german mod in the future. Those area needs police, fire brigade, emergency service, police cameras, buses, more civilian cars, new inhabitants, german military and and and ... I guess a whole team would be busy for decades biggrin_o.gif Would be cool to see further german locations in the future.

Maybe some people can help getting ideas for missions on Schmalfelden. I need something extraordinary. I don't wanna create a search & destroy mission because you can do this anywhere. Is there any military event known?

Try basing it/them on one these 100 or so then... CLICKY...

I hope there will be a huge german mod in the future. Those area needs police, fire brigade, emergency service, police cameras, buses, more civilian cars, new inhabitants, german military and and and ... I guess a whole team would be busy for decades biggrin_o.gif Would be cool to see further german locations in the future.

I don't know about civilian emergency services but the military side of things should be covered at least by the Bundeswehr Mod

edit: As for Schmalfelden, good work, Loving the wide open spaces for tank battles. pistols.gif

when the next version of cwc mod comes out i think some cold war tank and air battles + inf fun can be had here.

I just finally got to play last night on the latest map. After having my shading levels set to medium, once I switched to full I got better FPS (this is something noted in troubleshooting). Coupled with the fact that the fps is much better now at forests .. this is great notworthy.gif

As I wondered I was very immersed into the forest, now very accessible and loving the cut down tree stump / areas and some nice overgrown section. I really did actually get lost in the Forrest LOL. It reminded me of walking around hunting in Dear Hunter 2005 (that game had loverly forests). Combined with ECS and its ambient forest and bird effects, man this was the first time ive really got totally drawn into ARMA hook line and sinker.

I think you surpassed the Gardinas island Forrest. I notice you took note of the terrain, you match that real well, great for cover and prone firefighting. Also i like the change in vegetation / open dead tree/tree stump areas or "camp sites". I think you have nailed the realism and well worked vegetation placement, its a great combination biggrin_o.gif

I finally played a basic quick mission where my fire team patrolled the largest forest area over in the north east of the map and had a patrol (using urban patrol script) patrolling the forest. Also used the new suppression script for that enemy group.

Well anyway I followed the road after spotting the patrol and lost them!? Then after flanking and moving up the road that crossroads with a path we literally all walked into one another within about 100 meters of so (Durgs Vegetation working nicely) .. I jumped out my skin, fired some shots ... the suppression script of the enemy kicked in well, all hell broke loose, fired over 2 M203 grenades ... (lovely smoke effects with the lighting in the forest too). Did a flank maneuver through a pathway and hustled up through heavy growth area ... then blam, got hit with 3 nades and panicked as "grenade!" and "incoming" shouted out (good old ECS) .... great immersive stuff.

Also with the rain effects from Matts mod and walking through the forest ... its superb. total screen shot moments abound.

This map is very unique and the forests just make it big time. I hope you do more maps like this, you got a nice style and idea to wards what you want. I would even slip in a request for "possibility" of making the map slightly bigger, but as-is its great.

Do you think that you maybe could make the map bigger (at some later date) and then make an autumn version. Maybe using the autumn trees pack and changing allot of the trees to the long pine, less leaves etc. Would be great to have that with bad weather on the map and fog ... look real nice. Then you could have missions using the map that would have time lines that move into autumn months etc (just rough ideas).

I realise you will release an editable version anyway though.

I took some (10) snaps of the lovely forest areas in the end, I dont think current screen grabs show just how good the forests are in this map. This is how I play, 16:9 all setting high, none of these are photoshopped, just shrunk and brightness added as my in-game gamma is pretty low.

8 More in the pictures/photography thread HERE

sh03.jpg

sh02.jpg