Sign in to follow this  
Wolfrug

Dynamic Sound AI - RC 1.0

Hello all.

Since this version of RUG_DSAI is in most matters entirely revamped from the old version, I figured it needed a whole new topic. The reason it's entirely different is thanks to Sickboy, who overhauled all my clunky old scripts, made it MP-compatible, and messed with the configs until they look like they do now (really sleek). Aside from that, RUG DSAI still does what it used to: gives your and the enemies' AI a voice beyond the stale radio messages.

>>>

BIKI Page on RUG DSAI

<<<

Look at the above page for advanced instructions on installation, MP-usage, mission-maker/server admin options, and creating/editing the language packs. Here's the short version:

= Features =

* Ready made scripts for Dynamic Sound AI that is easily modifiable by the end-user.

* Your AI will shout curses at the enemy, tell you when they're reloading, throwing a grenade, engaging, when they're hurt, fleeing or when they've scored a big kill! And much more.

* Works in both SP, client-side MP and server-side MP

* Features English, Arab, Russian and Spanish voices by default

* Can assign voices to all sides (BLUFOR, OPFOR, Independent, Civilian, SideEnemy)

* Easily activated/deactived by mission makers, addon makers or server admins as required, using global variables and config entries (see below for more information)

* Auto-initialization using XEH(fully XEH compatible)

Note: this also requires XEH to work, of course.

Edit (BIG NOTE): For server-side MP, it requires ArmA v. 1.09+ ! Uses new command addPublicVariableEventHandler. Should work in 1.08 client side/SP

Installation (for dummies):

- Place the RUG_DSAI.pbo, RUG_DSAIGen.pbo + any language files you want - I suggest just putting them all - into a modfolder (such as @RUG_DSAI\Addons), and start up the game. You should notice your teammates talking a lot more now (note: only English voices are extensive, the other languages are mostly combat-oriented)

- NB: you need the latest version of XEH loaded as well.

Advanced installation notes on the BIKI page.

Mirrors and bug reports much appreciated! Note: I'm not the MP master here, so if you've got problems setting it up for your server/MP game, you might want to ask Sickboy directly biggrin_o.gif

FileFront Mirror

ArmaHolic mirror (thanks guys!wink_o.gif

ePrison.de mirror (cheers!wink_o.gif

ArmedAssault.info mirror (should be v.1.0 RC - slight omission in the readme.txt biggrin_o.gif)

Enjoy!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Congrats on getting the stuff into Public Release mate smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]you might want to ask Sickboy directly
With "directly", dear WolfRUG means this thread wink_o.gif

(I am not a fan of PM's pistols.gif )

Loved your original add on, Wolfrug! Can't wait to get home and give this a test run - will it interfere with ECS, though? Might have to disable the voices there.

Good work, thanks a lot for sharing!

I doubt it will interfere with anything, since it's more or less a bunch of scripts that make your units Say things. The only possibly interference would be in for instance cutscenes when someone is talking if you haven't disabled the voices for the duration of it (which is suggested, and easily done).

On the other hand, if their system is at all the same as mine, there's a chance they might shout the same thing twice during certain events? Try it and tell me! Haven't tried ECS myself smile_o.gif

Thanks for the comments so far!

Regards,

Wolfrug

From what I have seen it is one of the greatest dynamic additions to the game so far and it fits the mood almost every time. I have no idea how you guys did that but hats off to the both of you. It's truly impressive. Many thanks again!

One thing I noticed: I was getting error messages when playing this with ECS. Unfortunately I'm quite preoccupied with work at the moment so I couldn't test it very thoroughly. If anybody finds any further hints regarding compatibility issues it'd be much appreciated - I'll try to give it another go on Wednesday when I might have a couple of hours of free time.

In the meantime, I hope you don't mind I added the whole thing to the list.

Yay, no problem at all The.D. Strange about error messages - maybe I should download ECS to check it out myself. Humm. huh.gif

Oh, and BIG NOTE that I forgot to add:

Server-side addon requires ArmA version 1.09+, since it uses the new command addPublicVariableEventHandler!! SP and client-side MP -should- work in 1.08 however.

I suggest upgrading to 1.12 anyway asap, since these scripts use a lot of global variables to cut down on the compiling and other lag-inducing little thingies, meaning they might introduce save-game bugs to your SP missions in 1.08.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Regards,

Wolfrug

Great addon, kudos to both of you for making and sharing!

However I can't seem to get the global variables working? Tried both "RUG_CycleTime" and "RUG_TerminalDistance" in init.sqs but nothing seems to change, am I missing something obvious?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

RUG_CycleTime = 20

RUG_TerminalDistance = 10

With 40-50 AI's within ~200 m there is still alot of chattering?

/KC

Im using it after ECS and I get so much chatter, even "cover me" and "bastards!" and "over there!" ... allot when theres literately no enemy about at all.

Will fiddle with variables but, does seem to be allot of chatter out of context flying around when using this.

@KeyCat

The scripts -should- check for if these variables have been set already and if they have leave them alone, but there's a slight chance that it might have been overlooked for the initialization. Since XEH seems to run even before the init.sqs/f, the scripts have a short 1 second pause before they initialize the first time to let all the objects and such appear. So try putting a ~1.5 in the init.sqs before messing with the global variables, so avoid them getting overwritten. I'll check it out.

@mrcrash

Are you using other scripts/mods as well? For instance the "increased engagement distance" mod together with a "silent radio"-type mod might lead to a situation where your soldiers keep spotting enemies way out of your visual range and not reporting them via group radios. Doesn't stop them from shouting out their observations though :P Same thing goes for mods that rely on the "reveal" command to make enemies smarter -> once again if an enemy is revealed to your guys on the other side of the island, they'll call him out anyway. And finally, if the mod has some kind of invisible targets-system in place, they will call out those as well.

Oh, and the "contact!" sounds are group-dependent, so if you've got a lot of single-man enemy "groups" there will be more contact-shouting (but hey, that's just atmospheric, right?).

And finally, if you've got a mod that varies the combat mode of your AI automatically, that might affect stuff as well: when in Combat (Danger!wink_o.gif your AI will be much more eager to shout things than when in Aware. :P Just use Stealth if you want the buggers to shut up for a while.

Thanks for the comments once again. And as mentioned: making or modifying your own voicepacks is not TOO complicated either, so if you're not happy with the sounds you're hearing you're free to edit and modify and release to your heart's content (credits welcome, though).

Regards,

Wolfrug

I just keep getiing error messages and crashing when trying to make this mod work, does it work with 1.12 patch?

Yes.

Make sure it's either inside a mod folder's addon folder, or if you have to, inside your main addon folder (not recommended). Also make sure you've got the necessary files RUG_DSAI.pbo and RUG_DSAIGen.pbo au minimum loaded, or the other languages will try to access scripts they can't get to.

If that doesn't help, it might be interferring with some other addons: try it with vanilla ArmA with no other addons loaded, and go from there.

Your download might have been corrupted: try re-downloading the file (it should be about 35mb .rared).

And finally, if that's no good either, post a screenshot of the error and we'll see.

Regards,

Wolfrug

Same thing, only using RUG_DSAI.pbo and RUG_DSAIGen.pbo and no other mods, yes im using modfolder. Im using 1.12 beta patch.

errorbq3.jpg

That's because you're running with the ArmA beta patch but not using the 'beta' modfolder.

Shortcut should be something like this:

Quote[/b] ]"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\beta\arma.exe" -mod=beta;@RUS_DSAI

Quote[/b] ]@mrcrash

Are you using other scripts/mods as well? For instance the "increased engagement distance" mod together with a "silent radio"-type mod might lead to a situation where your soldiers keep spotting enemies way out of your visual range and not reporting them via group radios. Doesn't stop them from shouting out their observations though :P Same thing goes for mods that rely on the "reveal" command to make enemies smarter -> once again if an enemy is revealed to your guys on the other side of the island, they'll call him out anyway. And finally, if the mod has some kind of invisible targets-system in place, they will call out those as well.

Thats logical, and I do believe I have the SIX mod that increases range. Ok, I can live with that as at least I know its not some bug or anything odd like that.

I do love all the shouting and calls in the battle, its just when they are all on a chatter mission when theres no actual firing happening seems odd.

Quote[/b] ]Just use Stealth if you want the buggers to shut up for a while.

LOL tounge2.gif ... shame we cant introduce an event handler that can trigger a "slap in the mouth" animation at those points.

Great work though, its a keeper biggrin_o.gif

That's because you're running with the ArmA beta patch but not using the 'beta' modfolder.

Shortcut should be something like this:

Quote[/b] ]"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\beta\arma.exe" -mod=beta;@RUS_DSAI

lol crap no wonder it worked, how could I miss that. confused_o.gif

Must have changed the command line some time, I forgot, Thanks now it seems to work!