Soy Arma film + Simba's building pack

Hi all,

Soy Arma is a movie I've been working on since a little while,

it has 2 roles for me ; presenting my building pack and showing

the atmospheres I like in Arma.

sojasoyarmapz9.jpg

My buildings are all made from RL textures,

I tried to recreate the atmosphere of some industrial sites

I visited, some abandonned houses or old administrative buildings are also present in the pack.

Making buildings is much more easy than making a vehicle or a soldier, you do not need to master photoshop in order to make the textures,

that's why I encourage anyone to work in this field of modmaking.

Now unfortunately the building pack is pretty incomplete, so I'm more

releasing this pack to enable the map/builging makers to pick what they like

because even if there are many incomplete stuff, there are still a lots of buildings

that are nearly 100% playable, so modemakers, don't hesitate HELP YOURSELF !!

(If some of you want my ref pictures, just contact me, I've got hundreds of 8M pixells shots nearly ready for texturing...)

pic1tj2er6.jpg

pic2qj5df0.jpg

Soy Arma comes in 3 versions :

I strongly advise to anyone who has a good connection to download the high quality file, it's really more enjoyable

espacially since while making this movie I did everything

to have the best quality I could get.

High quality (500Mb) :

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=znd6ndwp9kd

low quality (30Mb) :

http://www.filedropper.com/soyarmalow

youtube version :

here you can find the building pack (40Mb) :

http://www.filedropper.com/simbabuildings

here is the map used in the film (10k) :

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/8d13b2f264_0.01MB

I don't know how long these links are going to last, I'd greatly appreciate if someone could mirror those files, thanks in advance .

For best viewing experience :

* Use "media player classic" it gives a brighter image, players like vlc will play the file but it's gonna be too dark.

* Have a smoke and set the volume on max ! biggrin_o.gif

I've never seen an ArmA video quite like that one! Very cool.

buildings looks great too!

If someone made a zombie apocalypse island with these it would be awesome!

Wow! Amazing movie and buildings. You really captured some excellent ambiance in that movie. I didn't know there was a weather addon out there for snow. That looked very cool. I'll have to try and find that. Also I must give you a BIGGER THANK YOU for allowing all mods to use your buildings. As soon as my mod finds a map maker, your buildings would be perfect for simulating the blown up parts of Lebanon with just some small modifications to put some Arabic signs on the buildings (with of course proper credit to you).

Keep up the amazing buildings and the amazing movies!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

This building pack is fantastic! Just place a few of the massive ones as they would be in a city and walk through the concrete ruins. The atmosphere is outstanding. I can't wait until this pack expands and someone builds a wasteland island. notworthy.gif

Really impressed about this !

Hope to get it placed in our next Project ...

Please give us more small peaces of this stuff like Metalwalls clear or broken... Woodpiles etc etc. All the stuff that makes a game more athmosmepheric. :-)

MCPXXL

I echo what others have said - I downloaded this last night and spent the best part of an hour looking at them. biggrin_o.gif Great stuff! Of course I know that, as you said, they're unfinshed and beta, but I really must insist that you try to finish them! They'd be great for any kind of scenario, from just plain ol' urban fighting to all kinds of post-apocalyptic coolios.

I suppose the first and "easiest" fix would be to get all the textures in place. Even if each side of the block has the same texture, that's fine - as long as you don't get the jarring "can't load missing texture blah blah" error.

Second is getting the geolod (?) in place - I'm talking about falling through walls and sometimes floors and staircases, and very often the piles of rubble etc. outside the buildings. Makes the whole thing a lot more useable smile_o.gif And also to for instance give the chimney a proper door, so you don't just walk through the wall wink_o.gif

Third is getting all the ladders to work! Currently a lot of areas are inaccessible since the ladders are only there for show. While you're at it - is it possible to assign ai "positions" to the buildings as well? xmas_o.gif Then you could for instance tell an AI to go to the top of a building, and he'd walk/climb there all by himself...

And finally, as a purely cosmetic issue, some of the interior areas seem to have interesting alpha channels (you can see through the staircases to the ground, through some walls...), and not all the joints stick together (wall and floor have a little crack that lets you see the outside world wink_o.gif).

I know you're probably very aware of all of these things, and they're not even issues on all of the buildings, and I'm very happy you've released these even in the incomplete stage they're at now. Very very nice! biggrin_o.gif

Carry on the good work!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Thank you for the mirrors !

I am downloading the high res movie but it will take a couple of housr (very slow host) I will host it for you as well so its easier for people to view

That would be awesome, I know the link is pretty bad, that's the best I could find for 500Mb

Also I must give you a BIGGER THANK YOU for allowing all mods to use your buildings. As soon as my mod finds a map maker, your buildings would be perfect for simulating the blown up parts of Lebanon with just some small modifications to put some Arabic signs on the buildings (with of course proper credit to you).

please go on Miles, that's why I released them.

I echo what others have said - I downloaded this last night and spent the best part of an hour looking at them. biggrin_o.gif Great stuff! Of course I know that, as you said, they're unfinshed and beta, but I really must insist that you try to finish them! They'd be great for any kind of scenario, from just plain ol' urban fighting to all kinds of post-apocalyptic coolios.

I'm not planning to rework them, but I must admit that fixing some of the geo lods just to make them more playable would be a good move.

I made a mistake I wanted too many of them biggrin_o.gif ,

recreate entire industrial sites, it was just too big,

then RL comes into play, and it gets even more shitty, I had some good time playing with those I suppose you will too.

hum...in my rushed release, I didn't even configed some of my models, so if you wanna know the entire thing, have a look at the models, editing the config to add building or objects is very simple.

VERY VERY VERY NICE BUILDING !!!

Thanks for your great job ! I love you smile_o.gif

good for war atmospheric and post apocalyptic !

Your building + good map city's maker = best atmospheric land!

T H A N K  Y O U  notworthy.gif

this shed a brand new light into Arma, definatelly something that was lacking here form day one of ArmA.. finally an truly 'urban' feeling,

please, tell us that you'll be continuing this

edit:

sorry, have to say it: Now the default ArmA houses look like toys..

I didn't like the video too much (good for an arma video, though), but those buildings are very sechsy. They need a good total conversion zombie mod to go with them wink_o.gif

I hate zombies.... ArmA is a military simulator.  Have you ever tried making a video like that?  If not, then you have no idea how much work and talent making such a video takes ranging from voice acting, complex camera scripting, video editing, not to mention the actual addon making of the buildings in this case.  Sure, he could have made a zombie video...but maybe he doesn't like zombies.  But hey...the great thing is that YOU can use pre-existing Zombie addons and USE HIS BUILDINGS and make your own Zombie mod... well either you or anyone who's already making Zombies.   Why not get the person who's making zombies to use his buildings?  

Because these buildings are available to all mods everyone can be happy. YAY!

The buildings are actually quite realistic not only for a post-apocolyptic scenario but also for any war zone.  If anyone ever looked at Grozy in Chechnya, it looks alot like his buildings....all blown to hell but with lots of nasty sniper holes.  

I think the video does an excellent job at both entertaining and showing the possibilities of the buildings for SP missions and for MP games.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

this shed a brand new light into Arma, definatelly something that was lacking here form day one of ArmA.. finally an truly 'urban' feeling,

thanks mate, but in fact this isn't so much different from ofp buildings, if you look at them they are made of RL pictures and many of them are enterable like mine.

I think BIS mistake is this case, is that they didn't try to portray a particular village or industrial site, that's why it lacks sometimes atmosphere...

imho, we should try in the future to work more like in STALKER or even BF2 where maps are made of different spots where much of the constructions are concentrated, maybe we simply need more collaboration between map and building makers.

I hate zombies.... ArmA is a military simulator. Have you ever tried making a video like that? If not, then you have no idea how much work and talent making such a video takes ranging from voice acting, complex camera scripting, video editing, not to mention the actual addon making of the buildings in this case. Sure, he could have made a zombie video...but maybe he doesn't like zombies. But hey...the great thing is that YOU can use pre-existing Zombie addons and USE HIS BUILDINGS and make your own Zombie mod... well either you or anyone who's already making Zombies. Why not get the person who's making zombies to use his buildings?

Because these buildings are available to all mods everyone can be happy. YAY!

The buildings are actually quite realistic not only for a post-apocolyptic scenario but also for any war zone. If anyone ever looked at Grozy in Chechnya, it looks alot like his buildings....all blown to hell but with lots of nasty sniper holes.

I think the video does an excellent job at both entertaining and showing the possibilities of the buildings for SP missions and for MP games.

exactly, post apocalyptic, grozny, balkanish dirty and bloody fights are the atmosphere I like the most, I've never been much into Zombies. smile_o.gif

Imagine a team hiding in one of those towers and sniping soldiers crossing the street, this is the kind of scenario that are easily feasible with my stuff, that what's thrills me.

AI in arma isn't ready for dense urban area, if you played with the map I uploaded you'll see that they can hardly search for ennemies and will often make huge detour, this could be improved with proper roads and eventually pathway lod but still, true buildings in Arma is MP thing, we'll see if this will change in ArmaII.

I've already said this in other threads but people seem to be extremely non motivated by the idea of making buildings, if anyone wants some help for their own stuff or to rework mine don't hesitate and pm me.

here are some nice RL shots from the buildings I made :

http://users.pandora.be/lab-wan/photography/carcoke_m/t_35.htm

simba

Hi all,

Soy Arma is a movie I've been working on since a little while,

it has 2 roles for me ; presenting my building pack and showing

the atmospheres I like in Arma.

sojasoyarmapz9.jpg

Wow,

Great buildings and Outstanding movie!

Haha! BTW, simba, I see Chinese in this image!

It's means "Old man-soya sauce"

What's you nationality?

Haha! BTW, simba, I see Chinese in this image!

It's means "Old man-soya sauce"

What's you nationality?

I'm belgian, and this is just a picture of my Soy Sauce bottle transformed for promotion tounge2.gif

Soy Arma name is a reference to a movie called "Soy Cuba".

imdb link

@Old Bear

I appreciate. notworthy.gif

I just last night got around to trying these out in the editor, and the only hard thing is trying to find any current islands GOOD ENOUGH to go with these buildings... They truly are amazing pieces of work and really deserve new islands and custom landscapes created for them.

Great work.

Has anyone used these buildings in any released/un-released islands as of yet? I'd love to see some screenshots if so...

Jocko

Quote[/b] ]Has anyone used these buildings in any released/un-released islands as of yet?

I've been unable to de-PBO them, so there's no way to use them in Visitor.

@Nicholas Bell

If you get them up and running in Visitor, are you going to add them to your Schmalfelden map?

Please?  Pretty please?!? xmas_o.gif

Or have you started a new project?

Maybe they fit on Schmalfelden (setting wise) and maybe not, but they sure looked spectacular when I added a bunch of them kind of ad-hoc like to an empty intersection in the editor and used setVectorUp [0,0,1].  If an expert map-maker like you gets to working with these, I can only conclude that the results will truley amaze.

Someone help this man! notworthy.gif