Sign in to follow this  
Ut-Oh

3ds max to O2 uv issue

I am new to using O2, so I'm probably missing something simple, but...

I'm working with a model in 3ds max 7. I did the UVmap, created a basic test diffuse map (512x512) and applied it.

3dsmax7vesselxv3.jpg

I then exported as both .3ds and .obj formats to see which performed better in O2. I went with the .3ds format. When I imported it into O2, I opened UV Editor and found that it had rearranged the uv map.

3dsmax7uvmapdi0.jpg

o2uveditorcx0.jpg

Applying the test texture I created gave strange results. You can see the texture tiled in the above UV Editor pic. So just to check, I opened it in Buldozer.

vesselbuldozerrendertr9.jpg

It would seem I need:

1) A 3ds max .p3d plugin so I could bypass O2 altogether

or

2) Some kind soul to direct me to more detailed tutorials on the UV Editor aspects of O2 (the wiki is a dead-end BTW)

It seems to me that I could just regenerate the texture map from O2's UV Editor and then go from there, but I have found nothing on this topic at all.

note - yes I did use the search function....and google has asked me to kindly stop using their services regarding this issue because their internet search monkeys are threating to go on strike.

since i haven;t face this problem in O2 UV editor yet, i may suppose that there is something wrong with the process you;re doing in max. so i have to asko

1)in UVW unwrapping editor (max) your map is in the bounderies of the big blue square (there should be one in the center)?

2)i suppose since i'm watching that in your pics, that you've already apply the map on the model, and works in max.

so

3)on 3ds export have you chacked option export texture cordinates for the model?

this is the best i can think.

Simply resize your UV in Oxygen to match textures in singular panel, it will fix your problem.

Select everything you have in UV and go Edit->transform and scale it down until it fits within single panel and texture in it wink_o.gif

Thank you for your replies.

XSparky, although the screenshot doesn't show it, the unwrap is within the blue box. It rendered correctly and I was able to paint it and apply it in max. And I did select export coordinates. I played with the settings some in both 3ds and obj formats...just taking shots in the dark lol.

Von Rundstedt, that's a good suggestion. But since some of the unwraps have been moved in o2, I'd can't use the orginal texture. Is there a way to bake the texture map in o2? If so then my problem would be solved....I'd just paint a new texture to match the altered UV layout.

Blackjack, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Could you elaborate on making sure the uv is between 0 and 1? BTW, I tried obj with various settings and kept getting this error:

objimporterrormsgjc9.jpg

Again, thanks for your help.

Well basicly the thing with O2s UV section is that it has to basicly fit inside yellow cutline grid to be fitting for ArmA textures.

However I think (actually I know) you can change size of that grid, just export your wireframes from O2s UV and define its size, add grid and keep aspect rations (all three boxes when you save your export). Then fit wireframes in your texture and replace original .paa file with it. This should do the trick.

Other choice is to scale your UV wireframe to match your current texture as I suggested initially. It shouldn't make any difference in texture as long as you use scale instead doing it manually.

I finally made some progress. What I couldn't understand was how to render the uvmap from the UV Editor to an image I could work with in photoshop. So this....

o2uveditorcx0.jpg

...into this

vesseluvmaprendervr9.jpg

The only export function for UV Editor is emf or wmf format, neither of which is supported by PS. So I found a convert app, and created a targa image to make the texture on. Then I used TexView to create and replace the previous paa texture file and resized the uvmap in UV Editor (thanks Von smile_o.gif ). I left the wireframe as an overlay so you can see the geometry deformations.

vesselbuldozerrender02xd1.jpg

vesselbuldozergeometry0wh8.jpg

vesselbuldozergeometry0ii8.jpg

I think I'll backtrack a little bit...I'm wondering if o2 has issues with the way max sets up smoothing groups ?

well, to my small experience O2 tends to screw up, smoothings.

so better before the export smooth your modl (autosmooth should work fine).

and after you import just hit F5 to recalculate nomrals of your model.

BUT (there is always a but), 3ds file format converts Quads to Tris (that's why obj is better i think), O2 during the import tries to recreate the faces in quads again (there is an option during the import if you want to leave it in triangles), so during that process sometime screws up the quads cause but smoothing.

the good news is that there is a solution. from prespective view (O2) you can see faces that consists of vertexes that may cause troubles. you can select the vertexes and with triangulate tool (/ or \ button on your keyboard) you can retriangulate them with uot having to delete the face...

ok ok i know i confuse you so i'll give you an example.

in this pic, you can see the problematic smoothing on this model, also the vertexes after the import that consist these problematic face (in red selected)

h_01.jpg

for start i select a face made of 4 vertexes and with structure->Triangulate (\ or /) i have this result

h_02.jpg

finaly i select the new triangle i ceate in previus step along with the other triangle and use Structure->Squarize, you can see the result in the next pic, no more smotth problem

h_03.jpg

Now somethings to remember, this operation is quite pain in the ass so you need to take care of the triangles that you want to produce in order to recreate the bad regenerated face by O2 during the import.

This way you can keep your UV map without deleting the faces causing you bigger troubles.

hope there is a much easire way but at least this is the only way i could find out.

hope that helps you.