Sign in to follow this  
Hondo

Is it possible to change a missile's smoke effect?

(Couldn't find anything on a "*effect*" forum search.)

What I would like to do is create a new missile with its own unique trail effect which replaces the current smoke one. It seems to be defined in global class "MissileEffects" in the core bin. But I have no idea how to locally override that or create my own.

I've tried things that seem like they might potentially work (duplicating the effect class inside my missile ammo class, trying "missileEffects=", etc), but everything results in a weapon that won't fire. And yeah I derive the new missile from a missile that I know works and don't change anything else. I've searched all over the game's config files and haven't found anything that looks promising.

So can you even do this? Is it possible to override an effect like that that? I know I can do it with scripting because that's how I did it in OFP, but doing it in the config would be awesome because then I wouldn't have to attach an event handler to any unit that might potentially fire the missile, and it wouldn't sometimes miss the NearestObject grab at low framerates, and it would look better, etc. So it's not a huge big deal but it would be neat if I could do that. Thanks to anyone who can help.

edit - And just to be clear, I only want to do this on one missile, not all of them. Since I'm pretty sure I can do that.

Oh, I'm dumb, the reason it wasn't firing was because I had the ammo name wrong in the magazine. The problem hasn't changed though, it still has the default trail no matter what I try.

From my understanding, the missile smoke is hard-coded to use the "MissileEffects" and "MissileManualEffects" effects classes. That means, ALL missiles use the same effects. I don't know of any way of changing them per-missile/rocket thru the config.

then how does the Mando missiles creat thier effects?

then how does the Mando missiles creat thier effects?

I would assume they are scripted, especially since they don't even use an addon, AFAIK.

Hm, ok thanks, that's too bad. They opened up so much stuff in arma that it seemed like it might be possible.