Sign in to follow this  
Mark XIII (DayZ)

Hifi Sound FX V1.00 Released

lebson506th-Once I've got the Firearms sorted mate, vehicals will be next, and thats a promise wink_o.gif .

added mp fix to config (Thankyou for the help!wink_o.gif works fine for me, will be released with next update tounge2.gif

Regards

Mark XIII

Ok, so i fancied alittle break from sound editing and scouring the Arma sites for new mods...Well I figured I share something alittle different with you guys (hehehe don't worry its nothing that bad! tounge2.gif ). You see for months & months its just been me doing this, slogging away trying to create as many orginal sounds as I could (don't get me wrong I've loved it!wink_o.gif. things changed for me when I got intouch with a good buddy whos been with me since the good ole GR days (who happens to own a copy of arma too). I mentioned to him about the addon I was making and he agreed to beta test it for me. That was that..So this is how I, or should I say, WE work, I wanted to share a document with you guys, because the guy who sat and wrote it deserves some credit (just for the typing alone notworthy.gif ). My good mate Ornbine wrote this after tinkering with HiFi FX 1.2 beta...(Ok, I only edited the swearing:whi: out, everything else is Ornbine! notworthy.gif !wink_o.gif

{@Sound v1.2 Review

Individual weapons test on Ramadi island. On my little firing range!

M4A1 QDS COMP2 = Really like the sound of this, it suits the rifle well and has got all the punch it needs. Teeny bit of echo would finish the sound off really nice. Good dry sound. Cant make my mind up about the reload sounds on the m4 series. They're good but I dont know if it suits the weapon or needs to match the hand animations. For example, I like how you did it with the AK-74 series. Magazine out...silence... magazine in, chamber 1st round.

M9SD = Nice fire sound but a tad too short. Maybe add the sound of the slide going back and a wee bit off echo. Dry fire sounds a bit clunky. Use the same reload sound thats with unsupressed M9.

Mp5SD6 = Love the fire sound on this, the silenced sound plus the bolt working is ace. Dry fire sound is spot on and really suits the weapon (maybe put this to the M9/M9SD?). Needs an MP5 reload sound.

Satchel Charges = Still love how you've added the bleeps. I stood about 100m away and could'nt hear it. Love the different sounds you've put in for the explosions as well dude.

M9 = The fire sound is nice, clear n punchy. Reload sound is sweet and fits/suits the weapon really well, ace! The developers are b*****ds. The reload sound fits the length of the animation standing up and prone. but when crouched the animation goes on longer. Thus, the sound finishes before the animation. Same goes for all weapons really, ahh well, moving on.

M4, M4A1, M4 Aimpoint, M249, M24, M107, M136 Launcher, Makarov and all including the AK-74 series, PKM, RPG-7V all seem the same as the last version. Apologies if you have changed them, I didnt notice. Its 4 in the morning lol.

Small note about the 203 launcher on the M4, the reload is awesome. D'you put the old one back in? If so cool mate, on to the next.

Mk12 SPR = New rifle sound? If so then spot on, sounds real to me. Really nice unspoilt echo trailing off into the distance as well. Reload same as M4 and as previous versions of the mod. Dry fire is ace, well done.

now...

The M16 A4 = f****n awesome rifle sound. when you sent me the sound clip yesterday I hoped it would be this good in game and it is, great work mate. As far as im concerned EVERYTHING is right with this rifle, dry fire and reload included.

M16A4 ACOG GL and M16A4 ACOG = Rifle sound is ace, nice change mate. Bit more volume though, apart from that 2 thumbs up.

M16A4 GL = Everything to do with the rifle part is dead on (dry fire and reload as well). With regard to the M203 the launch/bang is cool, but the reload needs to be the same or like the M16A4 ACOG GL.

M4A1 M203 ACOG = the (.)(.)s

G36/G36K = The fire sound may have too much going on as soon as the trigger is pulled. Echo is too short and cuts out. Reload is the same as the M16A4/A2. Maybe change this to give it its own sound?

G36C = Lot better firing sound on this. Include some echo on it as it sounds more like a pistol than an assault rifle. Same reload sound as the G36.

M16A2 = Fire sound is good but theres a kind of a clunk sound immediatley after the bang. echo is good but cuts out at the end, dry fire is good as is reload.

M16A2 M203 = Rifle is same as above. M203, all is sweet mate.

Well done and congrats on another update man, hope these reviews are helpful to the cause. Take care you guys, chat soon. Damn, I gotta go to bed.

O.}

Well there you go, thats how we work, I send him stuff he tests it for me and then types up a txt file telling me whats up & down with the current build. He's an ace guy so I figured I'd shed some light on Ornbine & the inside workings back at HiFi HQ pistols.gif

Ps. Hope I didn't bore you to death back then whistle.gif

Regards

Mark XIII

Overall, I like the improvements with the sounds.  M240 is a little weak sounding though (needs a bit more bass to it).  Explosions could be louder (as loud as possible actually) with as much sub-bass frequencies possible without distorting.  But those are really tricky to get right as its hard to simulate what it actually feels like when grenades explode near you.  The ground shakes and you can feel the sub-bass frequencies with your body.  

The super-sonic "pops" are now much better although at times its hard to judge distance.  One problem I've been having though is with the anti-tank rocket sounds...when fired they sound ok...but sometimes in a heavy battle, they make a very wierd noise that sounds like cloth ripping. Thats the only way I can describe it.  I have no idea what causes that.  

Other improvements would be a similar sound to the M134 minigun on the Vulcan AAA gun and on the Avenger 30mm gattling on the A-10 aircraft.   Basically any gattling gun has that wierd sound that is very different then a regular machine gun or auto-cannon.   They also raise in pitch rapidly when they start firing.  Let me see if I can find a video that has an example of such a sound.

Phalynx AAA system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qf4HwPKnqk

A-10 warthog:

So basically they sound similar to your minigun sound but with more bass frequencies.

Oh by the way, I found a good video demonstrating the difference between supersonic and subsonic ammunition with a suppressor, although I think your sounds are fairly good now on the silenced weapons so I don't think you need to mess with those too much anymore. But here's the video if you haven't seen it already:

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Wow, lovely clips Miles!

I'll work on the A10 for you, I've already got an idea what to do to get it like that in the video. I love M14's, I made a M14 sound and now I'm quite chuffed because I got the ping real nice!

I'd really like to get stuck into the misc FX like equipment & movement, just itching to get my new config from Polo (Still the guys a busy man soo it may be alittle while), when I do get them in I think you will all notice a big difference biggrin_o.gif

I'm gonna start work on the vehicals soon, although I have no idea how long It will take. As soon as I've updated what I deem sufficent to get uploaded (Maybe a couple of ground vehicals and the choppers) it'll get posted.

ah nearly forgot, I shall sort the m240 for you too mate (was just having a play test earlier and made a note of that myself). probly gonna keep the m249 the same...smaller round and I like the sound pistols.gif

I liked the weapon cracks and noticed straight away, it was a good idea making them shorter, cheers!

right I'm off gotta put the lad to bed

Best Regards

Mark XIII

Hey, love the update. It really adds to Arma. Only thing I'm iffy on is the M249 SAW. Maybe its just me, but I thought the M249 sounds different, don't get me wrong I don't have real-world military experience and never shot one, but every time I use it a bit of me wonders. I prefer to be a SAW gunner when I play, and its always the first sound I check out with sound mods. tounge2.gif

Anyhow, like I said don't get me wrong though. You did an excellent job thus far and it keeps getting better. Great job, man. biggrin_o.gif

Actually that sound of the M249 is accurate, but it is the sound of the weapon firing from about 10 meters away.  The first person firing sound should have a bit more treble.  If you wanted it REALLY realistic, you would need to wear hearing protection while playing the game because you'd have ringing in your ears after playing.  For a slightly more realistic sound, perhaps on the M249 sound, a little bit more high frequencies could be added so that it sounds kinda like what you hear when you're wearing ear plugs (where you still hear plenty of the high-end frequencies but not at a volume that destroys your ears).  The same goes for the M240 sound although that one also needs a wee bit more bass frequencies to give it a little more oomph.

I used to be a SAW gunner before I became a squad leader so I have plenty of experience on the M249.  

Going back and listening to the OPFOR weapons, the Ak also should sound a bit more like the scoped AK that the marksman has (not the sniper). They both are essentially the same rifle so should sound the same. The Marksman's rifle has a nice crisp sound. But there are other players here who have experience with an Ak-74. But overall gunshots in general are very crisp and sharp sounding.

Still for the sake of not making players lose their hearing don't go nuts on that. In fact even if you didn't change the high frequencies, it wouldn't bother me too much.

Finally I just noticed on glaring problem that I don't think anyone else caught. On the belt fed weapons, you don't hear the sound of the belt pieces hitting the ground. That is a very distinct sound on all belt fed machine guns that use disintegrating belts. The PK uses non-disintegrating belts I believe, however the M249 and M240 use disintegrating belts. It is something however that is very hard to hear on most recordings and that you usually only hear when you are firing the weapon. If you watch Saving Private Ryan and listen to the MG-42 sounds (which are absolutely amazing), you'll hear that sound.

You can hear what I'm talking about in this clip from the movie (which won an award for its sound FX amongst other things):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y1YL9C8Hfw

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

my orginal beta had a few little 'jingles' in, specially, for the M249 and the M240 in fact I think I did the same with the M2. Well it doesn't matter because I lost them all in a nasty HD accident....Still now you come to mention it, I'm sure I try doing some more...I know the sound you mean, would add to the 'wow' factor somewhat!

Regards

Mark XIII

Hmm, whilst playing around with this the heavy breathing sounds seem to be a little messed up.

Loud on 3rd person, quiet on 1st...

confused_o.gif

Cool, thanks for spotting that mate, I shall attempt check it myself tomorrow and get back to you about it.

I still got no clue how to fix the g36 recoil thing, I can't see how the sound config would make a difference to the recoils, gonna have a good sort through 1.2 tomorrow as well. Till then take it easy people

Regards

Mark XIII

This is most definitely my favorite sound mod released for ArmA yet. However, there is a bug with the Harrier's 20mm sound. Instead of looping continuously, it plays once every so often whilst firing. Quite annoying.

Thank you for all your hard work. I will gladly download the new versions when they are released.

-dRb

Mark I've been using your mod for a few days now and it really is excellent. I love the similarity of like-calibre weapons, especially the M4/M16 class. They should sound like loud pops not anything hollywood-ish like in some mods. The M249 is freakin excellent! I love it! In all, this is an excellent first work and I hope you continue with it.

My only issues so far have been with the size of the small arms sound files: most of your sounds are around 300kb or so. Now if you have a decent PC you probably won't notice it, but on an average PC there is a distinct performance hit.

When making the AACF Sound Mod we originally started with high quality stereo sounds and mixed them down to 44khz mono but noticed the perfermance issues straight away.

In game this is evidenced by a "muting" effect in prolonged battle; everythings going great, then you lose some ambient sounds, distant firing sounds and finally you just have the sound of your weapon with everything else noticably quieter. It all comes back in time but it's something to consider.

Chammys mod has excellent sounds but they are relatively small, around 40-60kb each; same with Mod War.

2) The little sound that happens whenever you click something, finish a unit/waypoint/trigger etc. placement in the editor...you know the one. It's out of place and a little intrusive, and I don't think there was really anything wrong with the default one?

My opinion too...

I also diden't like the loud reloadsounds for most of the US weapons. Mane of the East weapons where not so loud.

My opinion though.

Love you're hard work though!

Hey there !

Thanks for all the input so far guys, its proving really helpful!

NoBrainer - Reload sounds shall be equalled out over both sides for the next release. I shall bring them down acouple of db, not too much though. shame the sounds aren't split into player classes (MG-loud & slower) (Special Forces- quick & silent).

Also,you have to bear in mind that I brought down Enviromental FX so that we could hear thing like footsteps and such again. (misc fx probly seem louder for that reason too.

Blackknight.au- Thanks mate, I shall begin optimising my sounds according. I left alot of trail off on the rifles to give me more room for editing...if you see what I mean, I knew I'd have to update them so I left them quite big crazy_o.gif .

...Oh yeah that reminds me...I guess I'll need to look at the enviromental loops too, if you open up my sounds.pbo you'll see 5 rather large loops..they'll need stripping down too.

So...now I'm thinking of doing 3 different releases;

Hi Quality HiFi 44khz Pack (You got a NASA PC this is for you!wink_o.gif

Medium Quality HiFi 22khz Pack ( selection of sounds optimised, large loops shortened alittle)

Compact Medium Quality Hifi 22khz Pack ( all samples optimised, large loops shortened, possible resample of some loops to 11khz )

Does that sound like it would work? At least there would be a choice I guess.hehehe

Let me know what you think about the above idea, It shouldn't be too hard to do. I've got the 44khz & 22khz samples ready, just need to make another folder really.

Please feel free to comment.

Mark XIII

I like the 3 varieties idea ...... but it will be a major headache for you in the long run.

This is THE best sound pack so far.

It just keeps getting better and better !

[TAO] Kremator

I agree, I'd focus on the high quality one till you feel it's finished and then start worrying about lower quality copies...

One more thing, the breathing sound is a bit too loud imo... I've never heard myself breathing so hard. I know you can't change anything based on one opinion but perhaps some people agree with me. smile_o.gif

Indeed, it just adds up to your work, so if I were you I'd just keep it in one pack, unless you really want to but you'll have to do things triple.

Yours,

I found a little bug here using ArmA 1.12

When in any vehicle driving you have the engine noise then if you shot the gun mounted on that vehicle (or tank) the vehicle engine noise dissapears for a few seconds after the gun has fired so you don't hear anything after that one shot.... Hope you get what i mean

an idea whats happening there Mark??? I was thinking maybe you tried to simulate the loud guns harming your hearing for a short period of time or something, but i don't like it at all confused_o.gif

BEST SOUND MOD EVER..... so far

By the way are the sounds you have now 44khz, i have a low end system but don't see any frame rate hits smile_o.gifinlove.gif

ArmA does that by itself. It's the high dynamic range sound engine.

That exists? wink_o.gif

EDIT: Hmmm, low fps situations seem to create a reverb on all sounds. Is this an effect of super-high-quality?

I still got no clue how to fix the g36 recoil thing, I can't see how the sound config would make a difference to the recoils, gonna have a good sort through 1.2 tomorrow as well.

It's probably because of a mistake in the inheritance. In the config does it inherit from the correct class?

It should be something like this:

Quote[/b] ] class G36a: Rifle

{

class Single: Mode_SemiAuto

{

};

class Burst: Mode_Burst

{

};

class FullAuto: Mode_FullAuto

{

};

};

(Irrelevant parts replaced with "..." and important parts in bold).

I haven't checked your config myself so I can't be sure.

Well I got a bit of bad news...I got an ear infection so I cannee work on any sounds til it clears up..Well, I could carry on, but my hearings all shot to bits and everything sounds outta tune so 1.3 might come out all wrong and we don't want that do we..hehehe

Anyways;

Ateryu82/Viper23rd- Thanks guys, I was getting carried away there making lots of work for myself. At the moment I'm thinking 'work on optimising the 44khz version, then resample that down to 22khz then maybe look at the larger loops'. sounds like alot but its much better than making 3 different versions..(thanks for the return to earth!wink_o.gif

Blackknight.au- Thanks for bringing the sample sizes

up mate, alot of peoples issues with my addon will be fixed when I get in there an optimise some stuff. I'm gonna be careful though, Gonna start chopping at stuff like the ambience/explosions before I get to my small arms, I know some of my samples are 300k but thats the point, theres NO Hi in Lofi whistle.gif

Maddmatt- Cheers for the input mate, massive fan of your works! I'll check what you've put against the config and get back to you all soon. Thanks

Ok, dunno how long my ears gonna be screwed but its ok, I managed to get quite abit done for the 1.3 update yesterday and I can go through optimising stuff as its mostly cutting out silence on the ends of the samples. So please keep them comments/requests coming..I ain't done yet!

Regards

Mark XIII

Sorry to hear you got an ear infection mate, just remember that your health comes before us. *Smiles*

Take care and good luck.

Yours,

That exists? wink_o.gif

Yep. High dynamic range makes it so the range of brightness is variable and normalizes to bring the brightest colours within range. The sound engine normalizes so it brings the loudest sounds within range, so you have have a realistic range of sound loudness without damaging your ears. If there is a very loud sound going on, the rest of the sounds will quiet down, so you cannot hear your own footsteps when a machinegun is going off right in your face.

That exists? wink_o.gif

Yep. High dynamic range makes it so the range of brightness is variable and normalizes to bring the brightest colours within range. The sound engine normalizes so it brings the loudest sounds within range, so you have have a realistic range of sound loudness without damaging your ears. If there is a very loud sound going on, the rest of the sounds will quiet down, so you cannot hear your own footsteps when a machinegun is going off right in your face.

Oh right, cool.

Dont worry about the mod Mark, just worry about us

wink_o.gif