Sign in to follow this  
Kaio23

USS Nimitz (CVN-68)

I figured I'd post this in these forums since many people are looking for a place to dump feedback without going to Armaholic, though I'd also appreciate it if you provided possible solutions to issues since I know about most of the carrier's problems, I just have no way to fix them. Keep in mind I did not create this, I only ported it with the help of Franze and USMCRP. Hawks and DaSquade deserve the original credit for this baby.

nimitzloresmn9.jpg

The Nimitz-class supercarrier in ArmA. A stationary platform capable of launching and recovering aircraft, as well as re-arming and refuelling them. At this stage we have not been able to implement some features yet, but we know the ArmA community is dying for one of these babies so we've gone ahead and released the first beta. We hope you enjoy it. It currently features a fully transversable flight deck, working catapults, re-arming and refueling capabilities, and the flight deck tower has been designated as a "rearm" unit for the Hornet, allowing players who use the add on to activate the GUI load out system on the flight deck.

Download Beta 1 Here

Known issues:

- The Nimitz deck, for whatever reason, is unstable when placed in some areas. Holes in the deck are everywhere and the planes spawn in mid air. This is usually corrected by simply moving the Nimitz

a few meters in the editor or alternatively rotating it. When you find a place where the Nimitz is stable, it is guaranteed to always be stable at that location.

- The radar's rotation sometimes goes a bit crazy and rotates unrealistically. Minor cosmetic issue.

- The catapult system is hard to trigger, you have to look down at the deck when you're in position and have to be in a pixel perfect location.

- The arrestor cable system is VERY tricky to use to land planes such as the harrier, a-10, or SU. Franze's F/A-18 works fine since it has a built-in arrestor system.

- The tower's MLOD is kind of messed up. Some walls can be walked through and some floors have holes in them. Something I'd like to fix but I don't know how. You can still walk through the tower,

just be careful in some areas. Doors are hard to open though.

- Objects on the carrier have to be spawned 20m in the air using the command "this setPos [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1, 20]" in the unit's init field. Unavoidable, I believe, and it

is to be expected.

- The AA guns on the carrier are not yet working. Relatively minor, but I don't have the knowledge to do it and Franze is busy with his own things.

Credits:

Original OFP Add-On Model: DaSquade and Hawks

ArmA Port/Testing: USMCRP, Franze, and Tykell

Textures: Unknown. Please let me know who you are if you did the new textures for the port.

- 15th MEU

- Franze for his awesome Hornet and all of his help making this add-on playable

- DaSquade and Hawks for making such an awesome add on and allowing me to continue their work

- USMCRP for his great work at porting a working copy of the Nimitz into ArmA and allowing me to privately work on it

Thanx to everyone involved in the Nimitz from its first appearance in OFP to now.

I have used the nimitz in OFP for years and i am pretty familiar with its limits and its capabilities.

A cupple of things i have noticed with its introduction arma-

1. It looks far better than it ever did in OFP.:)

2. I cannot for the life of me get the action for "line with landbreak" to show up no matter what i do in the cfg.

3.Adding a trigger area (small 5x5m) over the catapults that add/remove action 's for the execution of the catapult script works a treat.

4. I have edited the cfg and scripts (catapult and arrestor script) to play a sound that simulates the captpult /arrester steam release.I ill send you a copy of them for you to look at.

5. Is there any way of getting around the 3klm lod limit of editor placed objects? There seems to be a bit of pop-up of the ship.

Can anyone shed any light on the useractions not being fully

accesable?( i did try the obvious- increasing the radius)

Thanx again everyone.

It's inspiring to see the community working together and not against each other.

As I said, I never got around to really making the arrestor cable system work effectively. The only plane that is guaranteed to work with this is Franze's Hornet, hell it really is the only carrier-capable aircraft in ArmA anyways.

Vte Mod has a few US Navy aircraft and has had for along time. I am pretty keen to try the A4.

HI !!! thank you for relasing the Nimitz

I try to double the radious of the Katapult action:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class UserActions {

class katapult1 {

displayName = "$STR_nimitz_kat1";

position = "katpos1";

radius = 8;

onlyforplayer = 0;

condition = "(this animationphase ""katapulta1"" == 0) && (this animationphase ""katapulta2"" == 0) && (player != vehicle player) && (speed vehicle player < 15)";

statement = "[(vehicle player),this] exec ""\hwk_uss_Nimitz\script\katapult1.sqs""";

};

8 Instead of 4 but the result is the same, I see the catapult action only when I landed on the carrier with Camel and I see also other action refuel at Nimitz, that everytime I did'nt get it ( when I start on the carrier bridge) , so I think that is some Eventhandler Problem, and some one could be convert the EH code to XEH maybe it could help.

The ICON.paa is longer than carrier, and the carrier orientation in the editor is flipped.

A tip for correct placing the carrier should be looking into sea lines and place the carrier in way to not cross the line, use a high zoom value to see the sea lines, this works for me and no holes in the bridge, but I just try two position so this should be not 100% sure, but 2 on 2 is optimistic value smile_o.gif

I'm not a skilled scripter, but the config & script of the carrier looks really simple to be edited by some skilled scripter that knows arma dinamics, so take a look at these small source files and find a solution, the carrier is really a good stuff for our game

thank you for the realse and I hope to see improved in future.

Rubber

Are you sure it's an eventhandler problem? In ArmA, actions assigned to objects only show up in your action menu when you're pointing your mouse cursor directly at them, meaning it's not impossible that the object for your actions might...somehow...not be pointed at properly. huh.gif

Try adding and removing the action from the player object instead? smile_o.gif

Lookin' good!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Awesome work. notworthy.gif Tested it's basic use from Armaholic recently. Very nice even in it's beta state.

It's great utilising it as a placeable "base" or "island", which is desperately needed for island terrains. Was hoping to see this sort of mod months ago.

- I hope the auto refueling and auto rearming can be turned off, to allow mission makers to use their own methods instead or to activate it via an action. Because it also repairs if you crash into the water beside it plus it constantly flickers refueling during takeoff.

- Is it possible to shows the editor's ship icon as an in game icon too (rather than the question mark boxes)? Or perhaps simply add it as an icon to the mod and allow mission dev's to place it in missions.

Thanks for posting on BIS forums. I think everyone should at least post initial information with a link on BIS forums, even if their updates are done on other forums.

I wonder if you could add some turrets and sam sites to the carrier? It would greatly add a little bit to the navy feel of it.

Hi there all

Could anyone tell me if there is a script available to get the ai to land on the harrier?

thanks in advance

I wonder if you could add some turrets and sam sites to the carrier? It would greatly add a little bit to the navy feel of it.

First thanks to Kaio for this nice addon, and now

3 Sea Sparrow + 3 Phalanx vs 6 Su34 and 4 Kamovs attacking at the same time from all directions.

Nimitz setup in MMA thread.

not sure if i was doing it right, but i was unable to get the F/A-18's arming menu to show up when taxiing on-deck. tried this with the version 0.4 Super - Franze has made some changes to the arming system since the original, which may have rendered it incompatible. only way it works now is if an ammo truck is also parked on the deck.

No it works, just make sure that your plane is position around the middle of the carrier by the bridge? (I guess you can call it that) and you should get the arming menu to show up.

Some of the things I am going to be trying to fix are the issues with the catapults being hard to trigger and the refuel/rearm trigger being overkill (Planes crashing into the carrier repair automatically, for example). I'd like to try to repair more, however, before releasing Beta 2. I'll keep you guys posted.

Kaio23,

Thanx for keeping on working on this m8.

Did ou receive the sample sound ans scripts i sent you?

With a little more hunting i have come across a sound for the Arrestor trap .The sound i previously sent you is for the Catapult only,i was using it for both catapult and arrestor cos i didnt have an Arrestor trap sound .The scripts i sent you are ready to go as long as you add the line in the cfg for the cfgSounds that i also sent you

I 'll send you this new arrestor sound aswell.If you need any help at all give me a yell.

Please could you have a look at the useraction's "land with line break" function so we can use it on all future aircraft released.And aswell as the VTE stuff.Also it is so much mor challenging to have to land on the right spot of the deck to pick up the cables.

If you havn't tried the sound/scripts ingame please do.As my brother and i have been using them for years and whoever i have showed this to agree's that the soundeffects are a massive plus to the addon,and they are a sorely missed element of this addon .Other than a Tee-ball of course.

Btw, I am not sure if it was an error somewhere in my server or what but i have been testing this the carrier  on a dedicated server and noticed this-

Client side - when using normal object quality the bridge doesnt show up ingame unless you zoom in on it.This is when i am on deck only 50 or less from thr bridge.

My comp gets around 45 fps while this is going on.

-  When turning object quality to high(1 up from normal) the bridge appears as normal.

But.... fps falls instantly to around 30 something once the bridge section appear's.

There must be an error somewhere in the LOD's and for the fps to massively drop and then go straight back up to where they were at the start when turning back down to normal object quality settings.

Thanx .

Nice carrier...

Works ok...

I would like to be able to place obejcts on the ship in the

editor though, without being afraid it will drop in the ocean.

If i zoom in on the ship and try to place a F18 it ALLWAYS

fall in the ocean and yes i state formation in cargo...

If i land a plane on the ship its ok..

The first 2 times i landed i got engine problems. But the

third went like a walk in the park.

You need to use the setpos command to get objects/aircraft/men on the deck.

Put this setpos [(getpos this select 0),(getpos this select 1),18]; in the object's init line, and then play around with the positioning.

No, not on the carrier, on the plane's init line in the mission editor.   Although I would set the value of 18 to 20.   That is the height (in meters) of the object which, in this case, is the F-18.  Finally make sure that your plane is actually positioned on the deck (as it does not correspond in scale with the mission editor carrier icon).

That little script also works great for placing enemy (or friendly) AI soldiers inside of enterable buildings on specific floors (rather then just on the roof).   You just have to often use a little trial and error to get the right height.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

As posted by Franze over at Armaholic you can get more exact positioning by naming your carier in the editor (e.g. nimitz1) and using the following command in the init of the object you want to place on deck

Quote[/b] ]this setposasl [(getposasl nimitz1 select 0)-10,(getposasl nimitz1 select 1)+15,20]

the -10 and +15 you see can be used to offset the object left/right and forward/back. the ,20 at the end is to set it at deck height.

With this command you don't even need to try and line the object you're placing up with the carier manually

And aswell as the VTE stuff.

Hey Steve, talk to Ron, I've had this addon ported and texture merged with normal/specular maps since last year already... smile_o.gif

Nice of you to release it! Though I am confused why in god's name you're using a Nimitz carrier in a Vietnam mod (The Nimitz class ships were not put into service until 1975)