Sign in to follow this  
EDcase

Ex-mil players?

Have any of you ever thrown a puppy off a cliff?  

Ahhhh, come on, admit it.

that dumb ass was a marsoc marine. It is still being investigated. They are trying to figure out if the puppy was actually alive. From what i have heard is that the marine was NJP'd and is on restriction.

Current active duty USMC, stationed at Norfolk VA.

U.S. Army 2000 - 2007, UH-60 Blackhawk crewchief/mechanic. Unfortunately you will find lots and lots of posers claiming to be ex-military or current military.

Army Air Corps UK

I uninstalled long ago however......got too annoyed with the bugs.

Glad some people are still enjoying it tho smile_o.gif

US Army Guard IA ,88-96 Trp B 1/113 Cav 34th ID. 11C,19D. 5 months Saudia Arabia(Desert Shield- Storm) supporting US Army 7th Corp(deactivated). Also retrained as an M-1 Hull mechanic b4 ets. Also got to visit the beutiful Mohave desert in CA(NTC) supporting OPFOR against US 1st CAV was a very good time!!!

Re-enlisted 1999-2001 got a medical out due to VA disability, just after 911. Got to watch the big show on CNN this time..sadly.

Scouts Out!!!

I usually play under the name 19delta and guess what, im so creative in my name selection that its just my MOS. A Troop 1/303rd CAV, 81st brg. WARNG. Arma, sort of like the real thing, but no. Oh, and wheres the damned bradley in this freaken game =).

I have to agree that arma and good ole ofp do help with vehicle ID, but also land nav, if you turn off all the way point crap.

I'm about to leave the army but play ARMA sometimes, still play OFP more cause I made lotso f crap for it, I don't got the balls to figure out how to put in ARMA..

I was in the military for the era of original OFP.I was just transportation deuce and half driver

Like Bobcatt666 I made stuff for OFP but haven't mastered Arma addonmaking

Loader on Leopard 2A4 and later gunner on 2A5, between 1998 and 2000. I've changed position due to my unbelievable skill in shooting with the Leo's ASPT/AGPT simulators and later at the batallion's firing range *lol* - was like playing a computer game and the dude who was gunner first, seemed to have never hold any controller in his own hands. Our platoon 'Delta' was known as the hotshots who hit anything at any range and that's the snag: During nightly exercises it's hard to distinguish a shocked Bambi from a heated cardboard-target at 2000m. I mean firing 7.62mm and 120mm at night looks like Star Wars and would shock anybody to stand perfectly still, especially when all the rounds are inbound smile_o.gif

Was a good time, but i don't like to turn off thinking and to blindly follow stupid orders from stupid superiors anymore, so i'm back in civilian life. Of course, stupid orders can be given anywhere, but nowadays life doesn't depend on such orders.

Former US Marine here. AV8B Harrier Airframes with Marine Attack Squadron VMA-311 in Yuma, Az. Several tours in Iraq, Asia, Australia as well as on board the USS Essex, USS Belleau Wood, and the USS Peleliu . Served for seven years. Was attached to the real 31stMEU while deployed to Japan, so it only made sense for me to join the 31stMEU Realism Unit. Now, as far as how Arma compares to my RL military experience...well, its relatively similar in my unit, we follow rank structure, utilize air and ground forces, etc.

Bye the way, the AV8 in game does not even come close to the real thing, but it is a game. Being that I was Enlisted, not an Officer I have never flown the AV8, but I do have 150 hours of real AV8 sim time, and do have my PPL so...no comparison.

We all know that this is just about as close to a military sim as you can get without spending an arm and a leg to get VBS2, so its pretty fun.

I was actually 17 when I enlisted in the DEP (delayed entry program) and after boot, and MOS school, I went straight to the Gulf...fun, fun, fun...

You know something that they could add to ArmA to make it more like the real thing is brooms, mops, floor wax, etc. So you can spend a few hours cleaning up after other people, lol. Now that would be very realistic.

You know something that they could add to ArmA to make it more like the real thing is brooms, mops, floor wax, etc. So you can spend a few hours cleaning up after other people, lol. Now that would be very realistic.

Ain't that the truth!!!

I was in the USN from 1989-1995

I cant claim that I'm ex-mil, but I did my 12 months in the Finnish coastal rangers as recon. OFP-ARMA are the reason I still can identify russian equipment, I'm even better today.. I can also use my navigating skills in this game.

But its a game for me, nothing more (but its the best game and I enjoy it fully!wink_o.gif.

Operation Reality Community (http://operationreality.org) also has quite a few ex/current forces members. They usually fit it in real well to the gaming style we promote and often make some of the best players due to their prior knowledge/experience in real life. smile_o.gif

Andersson: Sure i understand and know you costal guys tend to be proud, but yet... Aren't you guys jaegers like rest of us? biggrin_o.gif You served in Nylands Brigade, right?

I knew the gear trained to recon better than they did, thanks to Steel Panthers 2. Yet OFP did loads more improvement in that area because of 3D-model. In Steel Panthers i just saw picture from side. That is good side in deed.

About negative sides: In general, computer games teaches to do basic soldiering things way too easily and even wrongly, worst thing is that game might give sense of knowing the stuff (=soil for mislearning is fertile at this point). ArmA is not different case. I have to agree that i got cold shower to my neck a while back ago about mislearning, luckily for me there were few borderguards "tenderly" telling what i'm doing wrong. inlove.gif

And some PT before you can play !

@Second: coastal rangers/jaegers, I guess jaegers are more correct but in this forum its been called rangers for some reason. I guess its from FDF and SFP?

Then you can discuss what to call us recon-guys. We have the "sissi-ruikku", but there was a discussion if we were "proper" sissis..

Whatever name you give us, we are proud wink_o.gif

Yeah your right in that. You are rangers if looking for english word. Have to agree that i thought that Borderguards and Utti would be training rangers, while other sissi- recontrained would be just sissis (=querilla with out better word) or recons and not rangers... But i think you are closer.

Good questing conserning sissi&recon. To my understandment there is difference. Recon is mostly recon and they are called techinally recon in their military passport but train in sissicompany, wear arm insignia of sissi and by outsiders are being called as sissi. And ofcourse knowing what meaning word 'sissi' has on finnish mind, i think recon guys tend to not correct this mistake. I must admit i applied to antitank training when hearning that i would become recon and not (legendary) sissi if remaining in sissicompany.

Recon in Finnish coastal ranger/jaegers is just one group connected to the squadron(? kompani). Their function is to recce the enemy area before an attack. There is not much sissi-activity in that.

I was lucky and got into a recon-group on battalion-level. We were supposed to operate more freely and also trained in blowing things up, do small attacks and to call in artillery. So we had sissi- and recon training. All of us were also 12 months so it was not a "normal" group, so in a way I consider myself as sissi.

But I dont consider myself, or any conscript in Finland, as ex-mil, so I guess this is OT?

edit: "..in a way.."

Hmm... Sounds Intresting. Sound bit like sissiradists in "common" brigades, 12 months training for all of them, during NCO-class mostly practicing morsesignaling in barracks and rest of trainingtime spent in "camping". What traning during "campping" inholded i don't know.

Enemy soldiers called me and others in my group "sissi" when we were on a recon training operation.

It did sound good I admit that. Made me smile. The other side had difficulties against us and we beat them soundly, so maybe they liked to think we were some kind of special to make themselves look not so bad when they were losing to us.

But I wasn't a "sissi" officially. I was an Armoured Jaeger. Most of the other guys in my group were Armoured Jaegers too, none were actual Sissi's.

But the other side liked to say that we were Sissi's. That is I think because what we did in the reconnaissance training operation was Sissi-like, hiding very well from the enemy and operating pretty much on their face them not knowing we were there. They tried to find our camps many times but were unable to, we hid so well our stuff and even vehicles (or they sucked in following our foot- and tirepaths, this was during the start of the Winter so they should've been able to find us I think). This was the most interesting and exciting military excercise I've been to, by the way. I didn't really sleep during it but it was well worth it.

A comment to if Finnish conscripts are "ex-mil". It is a tricky question, because we are tied to the military for almost the whole life after the initial training. In that sense we are not "ex-" but we are not "active" either. We are tied to the military by law though, and when the call comes, we go.

But there is of course a distinction to the kind of people who have actually taken part on a real military conflict. I do not want to become such a person. I understand why people get proud of being "ex-mil" in the sense that they have taken part on a real military operation, but I'd like to be able to avoid that completely. Some people don't feel like this, but it's everyone's choice really. I'll go to help the FDF surely if a need arises and I am called in, but I'm not going to enlist voluntarily into other militaries, like the U.S. or the French Foreign Legion which would be possible but surely not what I choose to do in my life.

You are reservists.

Yes you're right. Ex-mil have a proffesional career behind them.