Sign in to follow this  
dwringer

USAF Drone Found On Beach?

Hey all,

Dunno if anybody happened to catch the story (probably not even within the US, certainly not anywhere else wink_o.gif ), but there was apparently a US Air Force drone found washed up on a beach somewhere (looks like it was from some sort of training exercise in my uneducated guess based upon the orange color). I can't find for the life of me what type of craft it is, but it probably isn't anything remarkable. The only thing that I found that even looks similar is some Soviet cruise missile from the cold war era, but it's definitely not that from what I could see.

Does anybody perhaps know what this would be?

originaliw6.th.jpg

Haha! What a great thing to find on a beach... Its a target drone, but i cant figure out which one. I am sure one of the next posters will enlighten us...

If it still makes a ticking noise, run away from it.

Quote[/b] ]I want this for my garden!

A garden drone?

Haha! What a great thing to find on a beach... Its a target drone, but i cant figure out which one. I am sure one of the next posters will enlighten us...

I saw one of these a few days ago while watching Navy CIS (Second Season, last film, that one where Kate got killed) and it was described as target drone.

I want this for my garden! wow_o.gif

MfG Lee biggrin_o.gif

I got a better place - my dad's old resting and rusting radio mast would make as the ultimate launch platform for it! yay.gif

Soo.... those latest AMRAAM tests weren't so successful as the army says

rofl.gif

Yeah it's funny.

But did you hear about the cat which had to be euthanized after getting hit by an artillery round recently?

CNN article about it:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/12/artillery.cat.ap/index.html

Misfired artillery crashes into girl's bed

Story Highlights

Military misfires artillery that crashes through roof of New Jersey home miles away

Girl wasn't in bed but her cat was; pet had to be euthanized

Artillery shot from Picatinny Arsenal hit two-and-a-half miles away

Nobody injured when the two-pound piece hit the Jefferson Township home

JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP, New Jersey (AP) -- A piece of artillery that was apparently misfired by the military crashed through the roof of a New Jersey home miles away Friday and injured a young girl's cat, which had to be euthanized, officials said.

No people were injured when the two-pound piece hit the Jefferson Township home about two-and-a- half miles from the Picatinny Arsenal and landed in the girl's bed, said Peter Rowland, arsenal spokesman. She wasn't home, but her cat was sleeping on the bed.

The homeowner told authorities she heard a loud noise around 2:40 p.m. and found the 6-by-4-inch object.

Picatinny officials told The Star-Ledger of Newark they were investigating. The base had been conducting tests Friday, and it wasn't immediately clear what type of artillery hit the home.

Picatinny is the site of the Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center, whose mission is to conduct research, development and engineering for weapons systems.

I'm sure it was an accident and the cat wasn't in al-qaeda.

These kinds of accidents happen in Finland sometimes too. For example in Niinisalo, Kankaanpää - Karvia some people get sometimes rounds into their roof.