Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.12

The good thing with these patches is you do not want to get back to the previous versions, there are so many improvements you can't get back to an older version. The difference between 1.0 and 1.12 are such huge, is it the same game?

When you see huge production like BF2 which gameplay gets worst and worst through patches, you are happy when little and independant developper listens to its community as bis does.

It would be funny to see video games magazines/websites run a new test of arma in 1.12 or even 1.09 to see the evolution of their marks.

And i hope armed assault reputation will not affect arma 2 sales.

Yeah, 1.12 is really doing wonders for the game. I'm looking forward to seeing what else they've put in since the beta. (there's already some info out there)

My thoughts may seem a bit naive, but my english is a bit poor.

Hm? I don't really see the connection between your thoughts being naive and you english being poor. By the way, your English isn't poor in my opinion. But, then again, I do own a cat... biggrin_o.gif

I just wanted to say i can't really develop my ideas deeper, so i have to sum them up and be straight. That's why it may sound a bit childish, thus naive tounge2.gif.

I think what he ment is that if you play the game just for once, you shouldn't be able to snipe/drive choppers/be invincible/whatever ; I am the first one to say that if I pick a M16 in real life, I wouldn't be able to shoot a man 30m away (or so) the first shot.

What you need in simulation is exercising, practicing, to perform better and better each time. Like for real.

I'd be suprised if you couldn't hit a target 30m away. First time I fired a rifle in basic training was 5 shots @30m. After that it's onto the range to hit targets 300m away so your analogy is wrong. Mind you, this was with the SA80 but I wouldn't have thought there'd be much difference with the M16.

Everyone experienced player can feel the difference between 1.08 and 1.12 gameplay.

do you have arguments to support 1.12?

Don't really know what you include in the term "gameplay" but if you pay some attention to the enemy AI detection routines you will notice that 1.12 Beta is superior compared to 1.08.

On top of that, just check the change log and you will see lots of fixes beyond that... Personally I haven't touched 1.08 since the 1.12 Beta was released!

/KC

Like KeyCat, and the improvement on rendering the North of the island, and if the current point of view isn't good for you, it's not a big deal to go back to the former one

smile_o.gif

Everyone experienced player can feel the difference between 1.08 and 1.12 gameplay.

do you have arguments to support 1.12?

Don't really know what you include in the term "gameplay" but if you pay some attention to the enemy AI detection routines you will notice that 1.12 Beta is superior compared to 1.08.

On top of that, just check the change log and you will see lots of fixes beyond that... Personally I haven't touched 1.08 since the 1.12 Beta was released!

/KC

AI is fine ok...but i speak for the control of your character and everything that is related with it.I dont play single player mode.All of you speak about single player.Now i can understand why you like 1.12.Its easier to kill bots.I agree to that.And i dont speak about PERFORMANCE but GAMEPLAY.

but i speak for the control of your character and everything that is related with it.

I see improvements there as well! Overall movement seems a tad more fluid than in 1.08 and especially moving around when holding AT/RPG improved alot in 1.12 Beta IMO.

Quote[/b] ]

I dont play single player mode.

Neither do I.

/KC

What you need in simulation is exercising, practicing, to perform better and better each time. Like for real.

You are speaking from a gaming perspective.

Firing a rifle in the game is not simulation, it is gaming.

In NO way does using a mouse "simulate" using an actual rifle, any more than holding the W key "simulates" running.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong to want to have to practice to be good at this aspect of the game. Games are about competition, and for some this would be part of the competition. But don't make the mistake of thinking that somehow a mouse can simulate a rifle.

In NO way does using a mouse "simulate" using an actual rifle, any more than holding the W key "simulates" running.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong to want to have to practice to be good at this aspect of the game. Games are about competition, and for some this would be part of the competition. But don't make the mistake of thinking that somehow a mouse can simulate a rifle.

Yeah, at the end of the day, if you aim at someone using the mouse, it's common sense.

I didn't mean to appear as if I was trashing the game, as I actually quite like the fact that a lot of people will never get into it, and it rewards perseverance, but it is, at the endo of the day, a piece of software.

And I'd just like to say one more time, thanks to BIS for keeping working on this great game.

from my military expirience the recoil was not up n right not with M16 not with G3 and not even with AK...

Nor me; only varying degrees of "back and up". The only one

I encountered that had a tendency to pull to the side was

the SMG (ie. Sterling 9mm). I was told that early models of

the MP5 (my father was a police armed response officer)

pulled down and to the right in a burst too.

At Armaholic there was a topic started about that AI acts different depending on how many they are when patrolling. This doesnt happen if they dont patrol or if its only one enemy, ill explain:

If a squad of enemies patrol on a street and you sit hidden behind a wall so they come up with their backs and patrol away from you while you see them a tiny bit leaning out for example, but they cant see you as they look forward while walking - They detect the player.

If its only 1 soldier walking exactly the same way - no detection of player.

If its a group of enemies standing still with their back to you - no detection of player.

So they sense the player when they are more than 1 and patrolling, but they have theyre backs completelly to the player. That makes it impossible to for example just wait out a group of AI passing you, so you can move again to a better firing position. I tested this and saw the same thing and it feels odd when they arent looking at you and you dont move so they cant "hear" you, and still they just turn around and shoot you. I tested this by sitting behind a wall showing only a very small part of myself.

AI has been improved when it comes to dectection through these patches so im really happy with that, Seems this might be one more to fix as it is not in this one (1.12b). Dont know what the rest of you think, but if this can be corrected in the next patch or the final one it would be a really good thing.

Regards

Alex

The FOV needs to be changed back to 1.09. Version 1.12 FOV makes me sick/nauseous to the stomach. The same way 1.0 - 1.4 did.

Other than that, what's been stated in the thread and I have no other gripes about it.

72 @ May 18 2008,05:36)]If its only 1 soldier walking exactly the same way - no detection of player.

If its a group of enemies standing still with their back to you - no detection of player.

I guess above has a typo?

Anyway, interesting find Alex. I will try to reproduce it when I get back home tomorrow.

/KC

72 @ May 18 2008,05:36)]If its only 1 soldier walking exactly the same way - no detection of player.

I guess above has a typo?

No. He said standing, not patroling or moving. The problem seems to be when enemies are patrolling not when enemies are standing.

About FOV. I didn't read all of this thread and i don't know if someone ever written this:

If you take out the "Zoom in/out" key bindings "Track IR +tZ" you've got it zoomed out all the time. For me it feels perfect this way. In planes and cars you've got a nice overview and allso as infantry it feels better than before. In the last version it was zoomed out to much, to play like this.

I never enjoied arma more. Mostly because of the performance, the better mouse movement, recoil and i'm looking forward to the next patch.

Greetz Ra!dar

I mostly agree with those who ask for the 1.09 FOV. Other than that, the game is mostly ok, but I feel dizzy because of the new FOV.

No. He said standing, not patroling or moving. The problem seems to be when enemies are patrolling not when enemies are standing.

Thanks for clarifying Second! Will try to reproduce it here tomorrow.

/KC

The unit i'm in is sticking with 1.11b until they release a patch with a sensible Field Of View...

72 @ May 18 2008,05:36)]...

So they sense the player when they are more than 1 and patrolling, but they have theyre backs completelly to the player.

Do you have a test mission to share since I'm unable to reproduce it (using stock 1.12 Beta)?

If I just make sure I'm well hidden behind a wall the enemy AI can patrol within 1-2 meters without detecting me. No differens if it's a single soldier or a whole infantry group?

My guess (unless you can prove me wrong with a test mission) is that you are not hiding enough and the enemy AI somehow spot you. In a group there are more eyes scanning the area so chances of getting detected are higher.

/KC

I mostly agree with those who ask for the 1.09 FOV. Other than that, the game is mostly ok, but I feel dizzy because of the new FOV.

Then just revert it to the way it was before...It has been explained tons of times how to revert it.

See the other thread : Troubleshooting with 1.12beta.