Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.12

i noticed that after this patch i dont have any grass on united sahrani island... (the queens gambit version of sahrani)

i havnt checked out porto so i cant say if it´s the same there.

and some other islands (like A.C.E OFP islands) dont have grass either.

and especially on United Sahrani im 100% sure i had grass before the patch.

i noticed that after this patch i dont have any grass on united sahrani island... (the queens gambit version of sahrani)

i havnt checked out porto so i cant say if it´s the same there.

and some other islands (like A.C.E OFP islands) dont have grass either.

and especially on United Sahrani im 100% sure i had grass before the patch.

That's why there are additional pbo files in the patch zip file for Queens Gambit. This has been mentioned many times already, it is also mentioned on the patch wiki page and in the readme whistle.gif

I really would hope you can tell me how to make custom fov setttings in my own mod. Please? So i guess my question is, how do i make my own config to make it work? thx

To start, get a program called Eliteness to de-pbo the TrueFOV mod, and then use it to de-rapify the config.bin file. Inside there are the settings, somewhere in the cfgVehicles section. You might find it a bit complicated, depending on whether you have experience with this sort of thing or not.

TrueFOV original should use the 1.08 values for FOV, although with some changes. So you might just be happy with that.

Explaining it in detail is a bit much for this forum topic.

thx, however, so far I notice that with the trueFOV all it does is make it not zoom with I use optics, the fov is still the same as in the 1.12 patch

I just bought the game a few weeks ago, so I'm not aware of the issues prior to 1.12. Here are my comments:

- The windows in the A10 are too opaque.

- The pilot's head position inside aircraft seems to be too low, making it hard to see anything below the horizon. The instrument panel doesnt need to occupy 50% of the screen area. It's difficult enough to fly with the limited FOV of a computer screen as it is. I would be nice if head position could be adjustable like in Microsoft Flight Simulator. Or some kind of "full screen" mode with small instruments at the corners of the screen.

- I can never get my AI team mates to stick close to me. The AI stays in the prone position too long after the squad is no longer under fire. So when I bound to the next cover, I find that I'm all alone with my squad lagging behind and crawling around in the open.

- In the "Contruction Convoy" campaign mission, the convoy sometimes takes an alternate route west of the route indicated in the briefing (it passes through Ortego instead). All of my carefully placed satchel charges are rendered useless.

- The mouse controls in aircraft "drift" back to the center position too quickly, making it very hard to line-up gun/rocket shots. It would be nice if the mouse control behavior/parameters for aircraft could be tweaked.

- The Humvee turrets speed is very slow when not zoomed in or not using the optics. I have to swipe my mouse across the pad way too many times to look around. Then again, maybe the Humvee turrets are slow to turn in real life, and I should use free look more often.

- In the "Dawn of hope" campaign mission, the last objective never triggers after the Cobras come in and destroy the armor. I tried driving all the way to Corazol and couldn't find any stragglers. I always have to use the ENDMISSION cheat for this one.

- Can't bind extra mouse buttons. I'm sorry, but I don't buy the "use your mouse software" cop-out. Every other modern game I've played recognizes my extra mouse buttons. Sure, my Logitech mouse software let's me bind key presses to the extra buttons, but there's no easy way to make those bindings take effect only for a specific game. If anyone knows about a utility program that can bind mouse buttons to key presses, and makes it easy to change "profiles" or recognize games, please let me know.

- Powerlines look white-dotted and "shimmery" from a distance. Maybe they should be rendered without specular lighting? Leafy trees are also quite shimmery when they're far. All this shimmering is distracting and makes it difficult to spot enemies.

- Vehicle sounds shouldn't be muffled if occluded only by a handful of trees. This is especially distracting when choppers are flying overhead.

- AI drivers equiped with night vision goggles keep turning on the vehicle lights, ruining my night vision.

- AI without night vision goggles see too well in the darkness. In the "Direct Hit" campaign mission, where it's almost pitch black, it's nearly impossible to get within 50m of one the camps without the AI seeing you and taking you out. The AI must have some kind of echolocation ability, like bats. smile_o.gif

- Very difficult to control where grenades land. While you're holding the fire button, why not show some kind of translucent 3D "funnel" to show the general granade trajectory. This will make up for the inability to "feel" the grenade toss. The ability to "cook off" a grenade before tossing would also be nice.

- My character sometimes yells "Grenade!" when I place my grenades back into ammo crates.

- Impossible to use optics/sights while lying prone in the grass, because the grass obscures your vision. Is the AI penalized this way too? I always thought it would be cool to be able to use your scroll wheel to continuously vary your stance from standing to prone, allowing small adjustments. This way, you could set your stance to the perfect height to allow you to peek over cover/concealment (especially sandbags).

On the positive side:

- The terrain visibility while flying is much better compared to OFP.

- The ability to lean makes it much easier to "slice the pie" around corners. Nice for urban warfare!

- The Gear screen is much better than the action menu mess in OFP.

- Towns are starting to look more real.

- Graphics overall look amazing to me.

Keep up the good work, BIS!

I did not read the whole thread, so I do not know wether it has already been reported or not.

But 1.12 seems to have broken some missions. Do not worry, It's not a big deal: I can't get the musics working in arma, either they are bis made missions or by mission makers. I did not test every missions nor the whole campaign but for instance, the music in the mission convoy attack (the sp one with ah-1z) does not work: at the beginning, the sound is muffled but there is no music :/.

Same for other missions (user made missions though) i've tested so far, the music simply does not work.

Edit:

Well, It was a hardware related issue, It's now fixed.

Well let me add this the bug where dedicated servers have buildings that float seems to be back.

How so well a mission where a AI placing a Building During MP seems to have the chance not to lock to the Map Grid.

But if you run it on a non dedicated server it works properlly. Or if you go back to patch 1.09 it works again

My view on 1.12 after about 12 hours of playing in total.

Performance is better but only in single player it seems.

If i go onto multi player it is realy slow and lag's a lot on all servers i have seen.

I tested this at home on my pentium D 3 ghz 2gig mem club 8800gt with -maxmem 1280mb winxp 32bit

So i think it is my setup or internet connection maybe but i never had the problem until 1.12

1.11 was great for me.

But at my work pc

athlon quad core fx72 4gig mem -maxmem 2048 xfx 8800gt xxx winxp 64bit

And there we have the same problem.

Like some kind of lag going on.

Could this be the anti cheat thing slowing things down ?

It is pretty bad, almost to a point where i dont like to play arma any more :/

Please look into this BIS help.gif

And i think the server list on 1.12 tell it all, hardly any one is playing it.

With 1.11 there where plenty of servers to test everything on.

But with 1.12 people seem to have left.

This afternoon there was only 1 or 2 servers with about 8-10 people in total on them ?!

So SP is super smooth for me and i could turn up some settings.

But MP is realy bad, and even when i put settings below normal it still seems to do some kind of lagging.

Tried some of my other MP games and they all go fine.

The ping is fine 16 up to 80, but still the prob.

Second i like to adress the new FOV.

I can tell you that i dont like it at all and i like to request that it be turned back to 1.11.

I know you can double tab the keypad minus key but that changes the whole gameplay to :/

FOV was fine in all patches up to 1.12 so i dont understand why it was changed banghead.gif

I never seen a load of reqests to change it ?!

Please make to FOV adjustable in game(old and new), cause i never like to change my official config files myself

So conclusion.

This patch changes the whole feel of the game and it is the first time/patch that i realy dont like for the above reasons.

I played many hours of 1.11 and that was great stuff.

Hardly any servers and most of them empty in 1.12 tells most of the story i think.

We are losing peoples interest BIS.

Dont get me wrong, i am in love with my (arma) game and 1.11 gave me almost an OFP experience with the better AI routines even in CTI with lots of ai.

Plus i have seen complete squads of ai passing over bridges and difficould towns so i can clearly see the improvements there.

I can confirm the bad online performance.

Slow texture loading, flickering textures(streets/runways) LOD switching, stuttering, etc.

MfG Lee

and same again here.

1.12 in SP was stunningly smooth. Once we got onto MP, it was playable, but noticably worse than in SP with regards to frame rates, stuttering and texture loading.

Is there a way to get door gunners to be able to spot and engage targets better?

Also, I have had problems with AI gunships not being able to engage enemy soldiers properly. Maybe they don't take the right angles of attack, sometimes they don't seem to know which weapon to engage with.

A major problem I have with AI attack shoppers is that they tend to fly into trees.

The recoils seems way better with 1.12. If anything to tweak, maybe the M249 SAW could handle better while crouched than the M240 MG. This is nitpicking, and I'm not sure how these two compares in the real world. "Logic" suggests though, that the higher caliber kicks some more.

One major complaint I have, unless it is by design in some balancing acts I'm not aware of, is an issue that been in ArmA for as long as I can remember:

When trees fall down due to being run over by tanks or simply being blown away by a close satchel, they fall over and block our view, but the AI can see right through this rubble leaving human players at an inhuman opponent. Is this some weird "by design" issue, or a bug? (Viewblock object of a tree is removed upon tree destruction).

The recoils seems way better with 1.12. If anything to tweak, maybe the M249 SAW could handle better while crouched than the M240 MG. This is nitpicking, and I'm not sure how these two compares in the real world. "Logic" suggests though, that the higher caliber kicks some more.

One major complaint I have, unless it is by design in some balancing acts I'm not aware of, is an issue that been in ArmA for as long as I can remember:

When trees fall down due to being run over by tanks or simply being blown away by a close satchel, they fall over and block our view, but the AI can see right through this rubble leaving human players at an inhuman opponent. Is this some weird "by design" issue, or a bug? (Viewblock object of a tree is removed upon tree destruction).

there's an idea. why not make it so that even if a tree is knocked over, it still not only blocks the AI sight, but also continues to act as a solid object. think about it, the trees can be used for road blocks. have tanks roll over knocked over trees the same way they go over rocks.

it really takes away from the game when you have a fallen tree infront of you that has 0 fire geometry and there for cant be used as cover from incoming fire.

i wonder who came up with the idea of making the trees non-solid after they get knocked over. whistle.gif

Wil;l seomone PLEASE walk me through how to set the FOV back to how it was before?

Paul I tried that, but the fov is still the same, the only difference was, I can't zoom when i use the optics. Unless, im doing it wrong. PLEASe help guys

Performance is better but only in single player it seems.

If i go onto multi player it is realy slow and lag's a lot on all servers i have seen.

I tested this at home on my pentium D 3 ghz  2gig mem club 8800gt with -maxmem 1280mb  winxp 32bit

So i think it is my setup or internet connection  maybe but i never had the problem until 1.12

1.11 was great for me.

But at my work pc

athlon quad core fx72  4gig mem -maxmem 2048 xfx 8800gt xxx  winxp 64bit

And there we have the same problem.

Like some kind of lag going on.

Could this be the anti cheat thing slowing things down ?

I played some more hours online MP and some SP.

What i noticed is that when i am on a server on my own than it is still a smooth play.

But when an other player connects the server starts to lag and jerk.

So i think i could well be the anti cheat thing slowing things down.

i got this error... didnt had that with 1.09 or 1.11

cannot create system memory surface DXT1,2048x2048

(size 2797568 B) errorcode 8007000e

sometime the trackir is really going crazy. that has to be fixed.

makes me really sad.

also stuttering randomly. 1.11 was defenatly better !!!

I finally installed and tested ArmA 1.12 yesterday, after 1 month of complete blackout due to computer crash...

Based on what I could test very quicly this night, I felt that overall, the game has greatly improved since 1.08. As most my hardware has been changed, I can't really tell what is responsible for any improvement.

However, I had some terrible stutter in game with a pretty correct computer (AMD4600, GF8600GT, 2GoDDR2) and all settings on high, except 2xAA. After updating all drivers (nVidia 174beta, DirectX, OpenAL2.03), performance have improved but still lags somewhat in forests.

I relaunched the ArmA original campaign but noticed some texture loading problem on nearby buildings and units. AI seems correct, but not yet as good as I expected. Didn't check the bridge crossing problem yet, or possible broken missions due to modified behavior. The aircraft flight characteristics are definitely improved (but my new motherboard doesn't have a 'game' port for a joystick, aaargh)

As of now, no particular problem or CTD. Good job, the best patch so far.

Malick

Any chance of some more volume controls specific to VON? the group of players I game with want to adopt VON a bit more over TS because of the great features and realism direct chat brings.. its just hard to keep the volume up around a decent hearable level.

Don't know wether or not the following 'feature' was already stated:

We were playing some coops (1.12b linuxserver) yesterday, with me as admin. When i accidentally chose a map with just one single slot, the system kicked me from the server and put a mate into the slot.

I find this behaviour is a little strange, as it is not that common to kick the admin and not to prefer him to be pushed into the lonley slot if just one exists in a specific mission. Also, to kick the players with the message 'all slots are taken' or so, is new to me - in this context. I may be wrong, but i've seen that before only then, once the total ammount of slots, that is defined in one of the configs, is exceedig the limit. I can remember that if the slots are full but the server's maximum is not reached, all the rest just stays in the lobby. Without a kick or even a warning.

Loads of problems comparing to old versions especially most stable 1.08:

- annoing stutters lowering overall FPS to one half I had on 1.08 especially noticeable during low flight bit better when I turn the paging file option off

- strange colourful glitters on multiplayer menu or during MP including score table and GUI

- very poor performance during textures loading most noticeable in couple of first minutes of playing

- some strange looking white flashes on textures probably something to do with HDR but Im not sure

I didn't have any of these problems with the same rig on 1.08

My specs:

AMD 2,6 GHz

ABIT AN8 32X (15.08)

ASUS 8800GT (174.74)

2GB RAM

AC'97 (6285) tried also without any sound card running

I picked up my new setup yesterday and installed ArmA today. Installed the patches "1.05->1.08" and installed Queens Gambit.

I then installed patch 1.12. The sound was totally jacked up. I could only hear voices.. Uninstalled it and rolled it back to 1.08, and the sound worked flawlessly.

Do I have to install the previous patches 1.09, 1.11 "the beta patches" and so on, to get it to work properly?

My setup:

- CPU: Intel C2D E6750

- MB: MSI P7N Platinum SLI nforce 750i

- Videocard: XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640MB

- RAM: Corsair 2GB DDR2 PC6400

- Soundcard: Realtek High Definition Audio "Integrated - Latest drivers installed"

Do I have to install the previous patches 1.09, 1.11 "the beta patches" and so on, to get it to work properly?

No.

Are you sure you started the 1.12 Beta with the new shortcut located in the ArmA folder as well as move the specific QG files as mentioned in the readme?

I have a similar system like you including Realtek HDA and sound works OK here (appart for some minor crackling sounds when lots of armour is around but thats not new to 1.12 Beta).

/KC

^Nevermind. I got it to work *corrected the stuff in the targetline*

the fps boost was pretty significant "30-50fps on Sakakah with 1280x1024 with a mix of Very High/High settings". The dreaded GF8800 fog was practically gone too. Very nice.

Gotta test it out some more tho'.

OK here (appart for some minor crackling sounds when lots of armour is around but thats not new to 1.12 Beta).

With the 1.12b I have lots of those crackling sounds,even with a single tank. confused_o.gif

This don't happen with the 1.08.