Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.12

Would be useful for BIS if they will provide some test cases for public release?

The changelog says what has been fixed, but how to test it? Sometimes it's trivial.

I like this idea. It would feel nice to give feedback from different cases that all players and BIS know instead of a general feeling and "if I do this".

I liked this forum poll as a starting idea, where the community is called to test explicity an issue. In that pool about memory handling, 149 answers were given.

However, I switched arma 1.12 to one core and back nVidia vga driver s to 169.21 for my 8800GTS512, and don't get any CTD.

Could the DirectChat VON volume be increased?

At the moment I have the sound effects at 20%, radio at 30%, TeamSpeak volume at near lowest possible, and all that because I have to increase the volume A LOT to hear direct as louder than a silent whisper, even with people close to me and talking face to face.

Quite disturbing to have to distort volume settings in TS and increase my overall volume to four, five times what I normally use, just to be able to use direct chat VON at all, since it's only for ArmA I need these screwed volume settings.

Putting the volumes to 20% and 30% is totally useless, because the volumes in ArmA are only relative to each other and for example if you put all volumes to 40%, it would be same as keeping them all at 100%.

The problem is that there is no separate volume for VON. The Direct Talk volume changes together with the Effect volume slider. Other channels in VON change with the Radio volume slider. Currently there is no way to change the volume of Direct Talk VON relative to the sound effects. If you turn the effects volume down, the Direct Talk goes down too.

A good solution would be to make a separate volume slider to Direct Talk, or VON in general. If this problem is not solved int he final patch, we still have hope that some sound mods, like FDF Sounds, will reduce the volume of all sound effects so that the volume can be kept high enough to be able to hear direct talk, but sound effects won't break your ears like they do now if you keep volume high enough to hear direct talk properly.

Another thing to be considered is the mic volume. Some microphones have high enough volume by default if the microphone recording volume is max in windows volume control, and microphone boost enabled. Some microphones have such a low volume by default that even maxing out all settings won't help.

I don't know if this helps the devs at all but I mention it anyway...

After a few more nights testing it seems that the shadow/texture issue I reported before is related to if I ALT-TAB out of ArmA or not.

If I never ALT-TAB back to the desktop I can play for hours on end but if I do chances are pretty high that the shadows/textures goes nuts at some point later.

I remember having some issues with ALT-TAB'ing in previous betas as well but instead of screwed up shadows/textures ArmA usually crashed and gave an error message about "DXT...bla bla something".

Unrelated to the above I noticed that sometimes when using the TrackIR the screen jumps/twitch and headmovement is not as smooth as in 1.08 (a bit hard to explain and I've checked so no reflections etc. in the background causing this), anyone else seeing this?

Using TrackIR 2 and software version 3.13.

/KC

I have feedback for you, quite literally in the physical sense

Feedback

I know it's funny, but if anyone knows of a fix aside from pulling the FFB off and on between different games, plz lemme know smile_o.gif

new Fov gives me headache and makes me feeel nauseous when i drive a vehicle , something like i felt when i played Half-Life 2 confused_o.gif

i think i prefer the old one sad_o.gif

Okay found something that is really, really stupid

The KA-50 now comes with 12 Air to Air and Air to Surface missiles not sure if this was intensional but its a bit gay haveing an AI kill you all the time in a KA v Cobra dogfight or fly past a KA in an A-10 just to have one of the VIKRS-12s slam up your arse.

I tested this out as me the pilot of a KA-50 and i could kill get a lock on both air and ground targets with the VIKRS-12s and kill them.

P.S. only seems to be in the beta 1.12 patch

A somewhat minor issue that i disliked (coming from OFP) in arma from day 1:

Ai's need to be able to drop weapons. (this way you can swap weapons between ai's /humans etc)

As far as i know this only works by having ai's "Gear" at something via command menu. This obviously does not work if there are no enemy corpses around or enterable vehicles/tents etc. Another result is that sometimes an ai goes suicidal running ahead to gear at a newly made corps, directly into enemy fire. An easy fix for this could be to add "Drop" to the command "action" menu and just have the gear screeny pop up when you select that.

It would also prevent stuff like "my wandering ai finally found something to gear at but HEY AN ENEMY IS COMING AT ME DAMN DAMN DAMN close you friggin gear menu BLAM BLAM dead".

Other then that: great patch. Arma is still getting better and better. Looking forward to Arma2 :-)

Just go into the map and click on th units name in the group section of the briefing. You can easily make them drop weapons. I do it all the time with claymores.

Cheers

GC

As i read from wikipédia, the KA-50 missile Vikhr is both anti-tank & anti-chopper.

Oops crazy_o.gif

sad_o.gif

Letting aside Maverick/Hellfire can get a lock on choppers too, this is a major problem when it comes to balanced gameplay and should be fixed.

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>Two, very bad points about the AI that should be fixed.</span>

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>1.)</span> leaders of AI groups with path settings:

- formation line

- behaviour combat

- combatmode green

are assigning targets for their group members at once. After that every man is moving forward and leaving the formation. But the leader should be hold his position and formation of his group. So i can´t force that like in OFP times.

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>2.)</span> After a AI-leading team is assigned to getin truck and vehicle is waiting for all members are boarded, and enemy is near, some soldiers are leaving the truck, fighting aganist enemies but after the enemy is dead or fleeing, the soldiers are no more get in vehicle - allthough their other group members are on board. Sometimes the truck - which is waiting for all group units are in cargo - is moving without the soldiers, there are maybe joinig groupNull and so no more in the group. This situation will only provides when near enemy is sighted.

Hello there,

Thanks for the quick patch that fixed the NAT problem.

Anyways:

1.If anyone ever has some spare time at your place , I still think making selectPlayer work in Multiplayer would add fun options to MP Missions.

2. I do wonder if you could make ArmA look better if you tweaked the ratio of specular lighting vs ambient lighting. I tried to live with the light settings , but now I think there is really too big of a specular part , making everything pretty contrasted , especially at mid-day.

ok, i have been testing 1.12 for a few days now, and i have issue that i would like BIS to explain.

why was the mouse tracking changed?.. its really bad now.

i know that BIS wanted to adress the accurate long range targeting with the weapons sights, but now we got two different airming speeds..

when i move my mouse slowly, the weapon/curser moves slowly also. thats not the problem. the issue is that once to start to turn a little faster, at some point the mouse tracking changes from slow accurate to fast and snappy.

there's no longer a linier speed.. as in its as if mouse acceleration is enabled but its speed changes in steps.. realy anoying.

an example of this is as follows - im up on a hill looking through my ACOG sight. i see a target about 200meters and start to follow it with my sight. the target starts to run now and when i try to keep my sights on target, i cant keep up. if i move my mouse even faster to catch up the tracking speed changes and now i over shoot my target and cant line up my shot.

its like if you move your mouse between two set speeds 0-5 it moves linier and any acceleration is constant along with your mouse speed, then when you pass that 5+ the acceleration doubles.. so (this is realy frustrating to explain).. like 0-5pixels/sec (3p/s=3p/s) after 5p/s its like (5p/s=5p/s, 6p/s=8p/s, 7p/s=11p/s).. if i could make a video to better explain this i would.. and yes mouse acceleration is disabled in windows and in the mouse drivers.. so i dont realy know what to do.

I'm sorry, I did not read the whole thread...

Did anyone write down as feedback that the breath in first person (when running fast) still is silenced in 1.12, like it was in 1.09 and 1.11?

I hope BIS won't forget this in the final patch!  biggrin_o.gif

I just noticed for the first time that the main rotors of the littlebird spin backwards, contrary to their aerofoil... just sayin'.

I don't know if this helps the devs at all but I mention it anyway...

After a few more nights testing it seems that the shadow/texture issue I reported before is related to if I ALT-TAB out of ArmA or not.

If I never ALT-TAB back to the desktop I can play for hours on end but if I do chances are pretty high that the shadows/textures goes nuts at some point later.

I remember having some issues with ALT-TAB'ing in previous betas as well but instead of screwed up shadows/textures ArmA usually crashed and gave an error message about "DXT...bla bla something".

Unrelated to the above I noticed that sometimes when using the TrackIR the screen jumps/twitch and headmovement is not as smooth as in 1.08 (a bit hard to explain and I've checked so no reflections etc. in the background causing this), anyone else seeing this?

Using TrackIR 2 and software version 3.13.

/KC

i have exactly the same problems.

plus:

i got randomly hangs of system with soundloop, some i can recover by pressing control-alt-del, and go back to game but than after a time it gets even worser. and after a time the system hangs up completly.

what i saw also was:

when i closed arma after these hangs, i also have hangs if i wanna look video, like *.avi, *.mpeg... at open the video system hangs, and when i close it it hangs.

but its also randomly.

and it only happens when arma had that hangs, never i got that videoproblem when arma wasn´t started before.

but i like the 1.12bata patch wink_o.gif fanboy wink_o.gif

Bumped in to a rare but old issue the other night with 1.12 Beta while testing MP.

I was joining a (for me) low ping server (SES) and they where already playing stock Clean Sweep (Coop 6) mission. I picked a free slot in the lobby and joined the game and spawned as a seagull (apparently someone already died using that slot).

I then backed out to the lobby and selected another free slot and when I spawned I had taken control over another players character (he saw everything I did but had no control).

I've experienced this issue only once or twice before with earlier versions. Guess this one is a hard bug to nail due to it's infrequency but hopefully devs can see a pattern somewhere...

@undeceived

Quote[/b] ]

Did anyone write down as feedback that the breath in first person (when running fast) still is silenced in 1.12, like it was in 1.09 and 1.11?

Haven't heard about this one and it works fine here...

What OS? What soundcard and drivers do you use? Is OpenAL correctly updated to latest version (2.03 I think). What settings in game? volumes? EAX?

/KC

I then backed out to the lobby and selected another free slot and when I spawned I had taken control over another players character (he saw everything I did but had no control).

I've experiences this a few times in older versions. I haven't tested the betas out online and it's always been so rare so I don't know how to reproduce it.

I've had another player join and take over my character. I think I could actually still fire my weapon though. And when I would use the chat in an attempt to say what is going on it would show up with that player's name instead of mine.

version 1.12 beta

the champion of trivial bugs :-) presents

minor bug :

- commander optics (black thing on screen) in T72, M1A1 & BMP-2 have a transparent line left of screen

minor bug :

- machinegun belt animation absent for M113 RACS (works for BLUFOR M113), M1A1, T72 and Mi17 MG

minor bug :

- Mi17 MG crew chief position : when not in optics view (the view you get when pressing "optics" key) and using the "look" key the camera behaves awkwardly when the gun points down (it has this position when you get in for the first time)

- same for UH-60 crew chief gun position

- in the UH-60 door gunner position is missing an animation (hands are not following the 2 handles on the weapon)

minor bug :

- the M136 weapon in AH-6/AH-6 RACS doesn't shoot as the M136 in the UH-60 : it looks like a laser beam for the left gun and like a small fire on the right gun

minor bug :

- as commander in SHILKA/BMP a white square is visible identical to the white square that appears when pressing "tactical view" key

minor bug :

- as commander (turned in or out) in 3rd view in SHILKA/BMP it is impossible to move the camera

minor bug :

- the 3rd view for PBX boat is zoomed out too much by default

bad feature/minor bug :

- the "optics" key does different things depending in what vehicle it is used and what position (driver, gunner or commander - turned in or out)

- I suppose each position (turned in driver, turned out driver, turned in gunner, turned out gunner, turned in commander, turned out commander) has a "normal view" NV and an "optics view" OV which is the view you get when pressing the "optics" key in NV (ex : turned in driver has a NV that shows the cockpit in BRDM, and an OV that is a "zoom in lock" of the NV; turned in gunner has NV that shows cockpit in Stryker and OV that shows the weapon optics)

- some annoying stuff I found :

1.1 in BRDMs the OV (when pressing the "optics" key) in gunner position is the 3rd view and the NV is the weapon optics; I was expecting the "optics" key to be disabled (to have no effect) since there is no cockpit view (real NV) for gunner in BRDM and the NV is the weapon optics (real OV)

1.2 same remark for M1A1/T72/BMP/SHILKA in turned in driver/gunner/commander positions where NV is vehicle optics and OV is 3rd view (was expecting the "optics" key to be disabled since there is no cockpit view in these vehicles to switch from with the "optics" key)

2.1 in turned out driver position in M1A1/BMP, the OV (pressing "optics" key) is the 3rd person view instead of a "zoom in lock" of the NV as it is the case for instance with the M113 or a disabled OV as for the Stryker

2.2 in turned out gunner position in BMP/SHILKA/T72 :

when turning out the camera is automatically in OV (the view you get when pressing the "optics" key) which seems to be the same view as gunner weapon optics without the black texture applied to the screen (it is possible to zoom in/out in the same way) but without being able to move the camera around; when turning out I was expecting the default view to be NV and the OV to be a "zoom in lock" of the NV as it is the case for the Strykers

2.3 in turned out commander position in M1A1/T72/BMP/SHILKA :

* strange behaviour : get in as commander (turned in position) press "optics" key twice (it will switch to 3rd view - which is the OV - then back to weapon optics - which is the NV), then turn out and press "optics" key, it will switch to 3rd view instead of a "zoom in lock" (you get a "zoom in lock" if you do not press the "optics" key at start)

* BMP/SHILKA turned out commander : for BMP in NV you can only move the camera in up/down direction and in "optics view" you can only turn camera around horizontally; for SHILKA in NV you can only move camera up/down direction and in OV you can't move the camera; I was expecting camera to move around in all directions for NV and the OV to be a "zoom in lock" as for the Stryker or M113 in turned out gunner position

3. for SU34 plane the OV for gunner position is 3rd view; expecting a "zoom in lock" of NV or some weapon optics

suggestion (optics in vehicles) :

- when entering a vehicle camera should be in cockpit view with an OV as a "zoom in lock" of the cockpit or some vehicle optics

- if there is no cockpit view, camera should enter directly in optics view and the "optics" key should be disabled (no switching to 3rd view)

- in turned out position the OV should be a "zoom in lock" (like in turned out gunner in Stryker) or be disabled (like in turned out driver Stryker)

suggestion (zoom) :

- add zoom to Binoculars (is there a reason why it hasn't been done until now ?)

- add "zoom out toggle" key or an incremental zoom (as canon optics in tanks) in vehicles (sometimes I block my "zoom out" key on the keyboard to have this in planes and helicopters)

- remember "zoom in" level for rifle optics view (I zoom in all the time when switching to iron sights)

- for BRDMs/Strykers/HMMWVs/UAZs/Army4x4s add possibility for gunner weapon optics to zoom in or out incrementally (as for M1A1/T72/BMP/SHILKA/M113/static weapons) so you don't have to maintain the zoom key pressed

I'm sorry, I did not read the whole thread...

I hope BIS won't forget this in the final patch! biggrin_o.gif

Yep, I have noticed this problem too, since 1.09beta.

I thought it was a new change tounge2.gif

Fixing the FOV from within the 1.12 beta itself: IS this possible? I know the FOV can be changed within the user profile setting, however, that causes instability with the compass among other issues. My question is, isn't there a config or something from within the beta patch itself that we can unpbo to alter the settings to the original FOV? Does anyone know where its located? I can't find it. thanks guys

Fixing the FOV from within the 1.12 beta itself: IS this possible? I know the FOV can be changed within the user profile setting, however, that causes instability with the compass among other issues. My question is, isn't there a config or something from within the beta patch itself that we can unpbo to alter the settings to the original FOV? Does anyone know where its located? I can't find it. thanks guys

You can use the TrueFOV addon from TrueView to get even better FOV settings. Search the "Addons and Mods: Complete" section for 'TrueView' to find it.

If you really want the old FOV back, you could make your own addon and use the old values. I'm not going to explain how to make a mod like that here.

If you really want to modify it from within the beta patch, it should be in 'Hotfix.pbo'. It might also be set in the config.bin file in dta\bin.pbo.

Fixing the FOV from within the 1.12 beta itself: IS this possible? I know the FOV can be changed within the user profile setting, however, that causes instability with the compass among other issues. My question is, isn't there a  config or something from within the beta patch itself that we can unpbo to alter the settings to the original FOV? Does anyone know where its located? I can't find it. thanks guys

You can use the TrueFOV addon from TrueView to get even better FOV settings. Search the "Addons and Mods: Complete" section for 'TrueView' to find it.

If you really want the old FOV back, you could make your own addon and use the old values. I'm not going to explain how to make a mod like that here.

If you really want to modify it from within the beta patch, it should be in 'Hotfix.pbo'. It might also be set in the config.bin file in dta\bin.pbo.

I really would hope you can tell me how to make custom fov setttings in my own mod. Please? So i guess my question is, how do i make my own config to make it work? thx

I really would hope you can tell me how to make custom fov setttings in my own mod. Please? So i guess my question is, how do i make my own config to make it work? thx

To start, get a program called Eliteness to de-pbo the TrueFOV mod, and then use it to de-rapify the config.bin file. Inside there are the settings, somewhere in the cfgVehicles section. You might find it a bit complicated, depending on whether you have experience with this sort of thing or not.

TrueFOV original should use the 1.08 values for FOV, although with some changes. So you might just be happy with that.

Explaining it in detail is a bit much for this forum topic.

Please reduce the window opacity of the KA-50.

When inside its very hard to see out the windows. The view is already very restricted by the armor plates but everything outside is washed out too. I'd love to be able to lean to see better left and right but I'll put that in ARMA2 thread wink_o.gif