Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.12

Your drivers seems to be really outdated.

Thanks for your reply.

Yea, they aren't the latest (release date 070531) but for a couple of reasons beyond being WHQL certified.

1. This driver set have proven to work 100% stable and flawless in all simulators that I'm interested in (IL-2, F4:AF, LOMAC incl. ArmA 1.00-1.08) with this 7xxx-generation of gfx card.

2. It's one of the latest drivers that still have the old style nVidia control panel wich I prefer over the new (crappy) one.

Anyway, since this shadow/texture issue I see in 1.12 Beta doesn't seems to happen everytime I will continue to test and try to isolate when/why it happens. Eventually I will make a ghost image and try another driver version as you suggest.

/KC

Quote[/b] ]1. This driver set have proven to work 100% stable and flawless in all simulators that I'm interested in (IL-2, F4:AF, LOMAC incl. ArmA 1.00-1.08) with this 7xxx-generation of gfx card.

2. It's one of the latest drivers that still have the old style nVidia control panel wich I prefer over the new (crappy) one.

Tooting into the same horn.

I have a 7600 GT AGP and these drivers are actually the fastest and most reliable ones for my card. Newer NVidia drivers do not support any specific changes for the older generation cards.

Using a 6xxx or 7xxx card you simply do not benefit in any way from using the latest Nvidia drivers. I´ve tested them and my performance was even worse, so I chose to stay with the excellent Leadtek 94.24 drivers for my card that are recommended by the manufacturer.

Using a 6xxx or 7xxx card you simply do not benefit in any way from using the latest Nvidia drivers. I´ve tested them and my performance was even worse..

Strange .. when i finally updated from 94.xx (or 97.xx) to something around 1.6x.xx my performance in all games (including arma) got alot better. Using 7800 AGP here.

And about that panel and settings stuff, there´s always tweaked drivers and NVTray wink_o.gif

nvo163xx.jpg

Only downside compared to the old drivers is that OFP now runs like crap confused_o.gif

I seem to have a case of somewhat frequently disappearing textures. Since 1.11/1.12, building textures (and to a lesser extent, vehicle textures) disappear when I look away even for a short time. When I turn back, only the plain (very basic, low-poly) model is shown for a while (1-2 secs) and then the proper model/textures jump into place.

This is something that happened since 1.11/1.12. I didn't have this issue in 1.09. (Not to the extent I have it now.)

Also, the new FOV is mostly annoying for me - would it be possible to make it player-selectable? I don't like the fact that movement speed seems quite a bit slower than before.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 2 GB RAM

NVidia GeForce 7800 GT, 256 MB RAM, driver version 169.21

Win XP Pro

1024x768, 32

2200 m view distance

Visual settings: mostly normal; object detail: high; anisotropic filtering/antialiasing: off

Hey.

Recntly been playing with the Betas and ive never done this before and im impressed, theres only one problem. there arnt any clouds, the sky changes colour and such but its just a blank sky, also the horixon dosnt fade is like someons drown a line, it dosnt fade. ive tried my game on diffrent settings but no luck, any ideas?

GeForce 7950 GT 512 MB with ForceWare driver 94.24

Your drivers seems to be really outdated.

I have a 7800GT and those drivers gave the best performance for ArmA for me. I have used various newer drivers but the FPS goes down, especially around bushes and with post-processing above low. I tested this with ArmA 1.11.

Only reason I'm now using 93.71 for now is to be able to turn up the fan speed on my card. All newer drivers seem to prevent fan control. I'll probably just switch back to 94.24 though.

I had no weird graphical problems with either driver version. Although I haven't done a lot of testing with 1.12.

The newer drivers only really seem to benefit the newer cards.

hi,

I'd like to say I really like the new aiming, it doesnt skip pixels anymore, but follows the mouse movement.

We can't deactivate background 3D scene in the menu. Oh yes we can deactive when starting the game with -world=empty but the 3D scene will be loaded when you get back to main menu after a game.

I don't understand why it is so useful to overload the computer with 3D background when you try to exit game or adjust you control/graphics/audio settings.. put a nice diaporama if you want with some music, but don't load 3D background.

I don't think players are waiting all times to see what happens in this "menu cinematic". Or at least, gave an option to disable them for good.

Just some more feedback on 1.12...

I like the VON a lot. It is weird to see someome look my way, say my name, and watch their lips move as they talk to me... I'm still fascinated by that (easily amused I suppose).

Even though I have been able to play the game just fine since German DVD version 1.0, each patch does make things run a little better for me.

FPS are fine, everything on very high now (AA normal), 1680 x 1050, with 3000-5000 view.

AI is improved, like others have said... no need to elaborate on that.

Still randomly get disconnected, seems like if I get the yellow chain (bottom right corner) it's a certain disconnect. Previously it could go red and sometimes it wouldn't disconnect. Not a major issue, only happens rarely, and not any particular set of circumstances... Sometimes when I use VON, sometimes when I record with FRAPS, sometimes just out of the blue... Seems to happen mostly in coop. Like I said, very rare, not worried by it.

I really don't have much else to say other than repeat the positives others have stated... so thanks again. This really is a unique game. I buy a lot of games and NOTHING compares to this (except OFP, of course). This is the only game I show off to my friends. Everything else just seems to be wasting my HD space. Not trying to be a fanboy, I'm actually an angry old man that likes to complain (according to my girlfriend)... but I can't when it comes to this game.

Thanks again... keep up the great work.

Mosh

This really is a unique game. I buy a lot of games and NOTHING compares to this (except OFP, of course).

It sure is!

No other military shooter for USD ~50.00 comes even close to what ArmA has to offer! What other games/sims let you start of a mission with a bunch of friends in the dawn and proceed 15 km to your objective by foot/air/land/sea and keep playing for hours while the time & weather changes dynamicly etc? On top of that we have the excellent mission editor along with very powerfull scripting capabilities strait out of the box.

For me OFP/ArmA is the closest thing to the EBS (Electronic Battlefield Series) that other companies talked/dreamed about for 2-3 decades now and so far BIS is one of the very few who delivered something that allows for combined arms operations in a large scale outdoor environment on a PC.

ArmA may had a rough start and plenty of issues, but as you say, each patch makes it better and better and IMHO thats what sets BIS apart from other developers. It may take a while (due to it's complexity and limited resources I guess) but they do listen and continues to improve/fix things (for free none the less)!

Just to stay on topic I want to add that by using "-maxmem=1023" with 1.12 Beta seems to have fixed/improved the shadow/texture issue I had before, still testing tho...

PS: I'm sure I will be labeled as a "fanboy" by some but who cares  tounge2.gif  

/KC

PS: I'm sure I will be labeled as a "fanboy" by some but who cares tounge2.gif

Is that a bad thing? tounge2.gif

...each patch makes it better and better and IMHO thats what sets BIS apart from other developers. It may take a while (due to it's complexity and limited resources I guess) but they do listen and continues to improve/fix things (for free none the less)!

Just to stay on topic I want to add that by using "-maxmem=1023" with 1.12 Beta seems to have fixed/improved the shadow/texture issue I had before, still testing tho...

PS: I'm sure I will be labeled as a "fanboy" by some but who cares  tounge2.gif  

/KC

agree. I continue to play Arma while other newer games that I have bought get given away over time.

the patches that tighten up and add to the game are a big reason for that. (Community add-ons are also a massive reason. smile_o.gif )

Finding huge frame rate issues with 1.12.

E6600 2.4 ghz, 2 gigs ram, vista 32bit, 8800gtx. Stuck with everything on low at 1920x1200 resolution and still fps lag.

mad_o.gif

E6600 2.4 ghz, 2 gigs ram, vista 32bit, 8800gtx.  Stuck with everything on low at 1920x1200 resolution and still fps lag.

mad_o.gif

try hitting the "default" button in the video options

E6600 2.4 ghz, 2 gigs ram, vista 32bit, 8800gtx. Stuck with everything on low at 1920x1200 resolution and still fps lag.

mad_o.gif

I have, as it seems, the same hardware except for a GTS (dont know about the rest..). I play in 1600x1200 with relative high settings and have good and stable FPS.

As I have the highest resolution I disabled the AA without to much visual cost, and I gained alot of FPS.

edit: I missed that you use vista.... I use XP 32bit.

V1.11 --> V1.12

+ iFEEL mouse effects are working properly again! Effects are as strong as in OFP now! THX  notworthy.gif

I dunno what the maximum feedback-effects feel like, but I could go for even stronger effects.

+ FOV is way better on 22" screens - 16x10. Before the FOV  had the look&feel of "stick people". All was too skinny almost marionette-like, now a hand looks like a hand, and gun looks like a gun,.....NEW FOV looks & feels on my 22" 1680x1050 much much more realistic. KEEP IT thumbs-up.gif

+ Performance & stability

I only see improvements, good work! notworthy.gif

P.S: wait wait wait...I found something.

- Multiple Joystick support. Now my Wheel is the primary input device instead of my joystick. It used to be the other way round before. Of course i did everything to get it back working, like setting primary joysticks in properties etc etc and even disabled G25 profiler software...no go...now i have to fly a helicopter with a wheel i guess  whistle.gif

Please implement multiple joystick support or let us at least decide which one we want to use, without unplugging all joysticks before we start to play   help.gif

Running: Windows Vista 32 SP1, MS FFB Sidewinder 2 Joystick, G25 Wheel, MS Freestyle Pad, TrackIR3 Pro ....and my most beloved iFeel mouseman

Very happy with 1.12 runs very very well notworthy.gif

New FOV notworthy.gif

Mouse movement notworthy.gif

Nice job Bis wink_o.gif

version 1.12

minor bug :

- I also observed this bug in the 1.08 version

- it is possible to block your character in the swim animation and this way you can make it swim on land

- to reproduce the bug do :

1. start swimming (get in water and keep the forward button pressed)

2. while you keep the forward button down also press a second key which corresponds to the "go prone" key in the controls menu (I didn't test with other keys)

3. release the forward key only and maintain the "go prone" key pressed (your character will go on swimming)

4. try to swim toward the land and you will see your character not getting up but continuing to "swim" on the surface of the terrain

- another thing you can do is make your character stay still while in water :

1. go in water and let your character swim in place, when you press the forward key (for 2 seconds or so) the character will perform an intermediary animation before the actual swimming anim

2. again press the "go prone" key while in the intermediary anim and the character will get blocked

minor bug :

- the sound is muffled when switching from 3rd view to 1st view even on motorbikes (the sound level should stay unchanged in cars without rooftop)

minor bug :

- it isn't possible to zoom out toggle while using G36, G36 K, G36 C, MK12 SPR, M16A4 ACOG (weapons I tested only)

minor bug :

- this bug lowers your rifle even if you didn't use the "toggle raise weapon" key

- to reproduce bug :

1. press "forward" and "strafe left" (or right) keys

2. while sprinting press the "turbo" key to start running

3. release all keys, now your rifle should be lowered (as if you used the "toggle raise weapon" key)

important bug :

- being ejected without apparent reason of motorbike happens less often than before but still does occur

- I experienced it at very low speeds too

- was playing Evolution

Quote[/b] ] minor bug :

- it isn't possible to zoom out toggle while using G36, G36 K, G36 C, MK12 SPR, M16A4 ACOG (weapons I tested only)

I think this happens with any weapon that has a scope on it. It also happened to me with the G36 and the M24 and seeing how all the weapons here have scopes in common I am betting that is it.

minor bug :

the zoom out toggle feature is for non-magnified weapons. it only works with iron sights and red-dots.

this is not a bug, it has been this way since v1.01.

The new FOV seems OK but the 'naked eye' zoom seems to be overdone.

Naked eye zoom is only slightly less powerful than zooming in ACOG (4x?) but it's the zooming-in transition that is really noticeable. Up to 1.12, the short zoom was subtle enough to feel like concentration, now it feels like a camera effect.

I dont know if any one else noticed but the patch seems great in single player.

but online in multi player it seems very jerky.

I hope that is a problem on my side because it is vvery hard toplay like this :/

1. I'm with ACF on this one - zoom / concentration mode is rediculous now. Only thing that hinders you from 800m sniping with a normal M16 ironsight is the drop of your bullet.

There should be a higher difference from ironsight weapons to scoped weapons imo.

2. Running animation doesnt stop in time - i keep bumping into things and other players lol. tounge2.gif

I dont know if any one else noticed but the patch seems great in single player.

but online in multi player it seems very jerky.

I hope that is a problem on my side because it is vvery hard toplay like this :/

Played some hours of MP last night and that was as fluid as never before.

As good as no texture loading, excellent performance and finally a good flight model.

I don't know exactly but is this the new Field of View we got with 1.12, already back at Games Convention in 2007?

4-arma_base_gc2007_5.jpg

Regards, Christian