Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.12

Performance wise the new patch is really great, i´ve actually gone from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 and upped the viewdistance a bit, and it still runs better than with 1.11 rofl.gif

Thanks for that! thumbs-up.gif

Bug--

Was playing singleplayer campaign and twice I encountered AI soldiers under my command being frozen in place while crouched.

Both times, they had a pistol out so it MIGHT be triggered by running out of ammo [then they switch to pistol, then they are stuck?].

The soldiers WILL rotate and look around just fine... but if I try to tell them to move, to perform an action [including to get a new weapon or reload ammo], all they do is point in the direction they were supposed to go, but remain stuck in crouched position [kneeling, not prone].

Finally gave up trying to get them to rejoin my formation and left them behind. I didn't run into this problem with 1.11, but not sure if it is new to 1.12.

I was playing the last missions where you clear out Bagango [and you are given control of about 10 soldiers].

I had this problem all the way since 1.06, very frequently. Happens in a lot of missions (when the player commands a team, of course) and snipers seem to be especially at risk.

When the sniper is in prone position and gets out the pistol, they get stuck in many places. As you said, they can rotate on the ground but they're stuck in prone position and they cannot move.

When the sniper is in prone position and gets out the pistol, they get stuck in many places. As you said, they can rotate on the ground but they're stuck in prone position and they cannot move.

Hi all

I can confirm this though for me it is sporadic. I have seen it 3 times.

Trying to get the AI to change weapons has no effect.

As a work around once I got a vehicle close to the sniper and got them to board it then disembark.

I have only ever seen this with sniper weapon and pistol combination and like you it seems to occur when the AI is in the prone position.

Kind regards walker

after trying the patch out over the weekend I am impressed. the recoils are very good! still think the machineguns are too low recoil when standing but much better. the rest are spot on! they seem fast, snappy and proportionate to reality. Always want more but these are good.

For Arma2 I hope BIS develop a new more realistic recoil/ weapon operation system as this system is showing its age compared to new games like COD4 SP.

Game performance rocks (i get between 20 - 70 fps depending on map. average 26fps on united sahrani north half of island. 30fps on porto).

that's great.

also dig the new FOv as AI are easier to see and see more 'right' rather than the tiny view previous (besdies when I want greater peripheral vision i press num - twice - back to old view. Piss easy.)

thanks BIS.

Quote[/b] ]Beta 1.11 didn't have so many texture loading problems than this

whistle.gif New texture management system? Perhaps to facilitate the more CONSTRAINED ram of a console? Seriously this smells more and more like it.

1. Console style FOV. (read HALO)

2. Texture management. (optimized for smaller RAM?)

3. Mouse Handling (X axis more sensitive than Y) joypad compatibility

'Patching'

I do not believe for a single moment that BIS are patching ARMA out of the goodness of their heart. I suspect that the fixes we are seeing are all going to be geared at plugging the most visible faults of ARMA. Either as a game or an engine. In preparation for a re-release of some sort. My guess would be a console release.

This makes me hope for a new "AI command" interface, as the current one isn't even almost joypad compatible, and the one ARMA shipped with is cumbersome beyond words. (seriously, you'd believe they figured this one out in Operation Flashpoint)

I do not believe for a single moment that BIS are patching ARMA out of the goodness of their heart. I suspect that the fixes we are seeing are all going to be geared at plugging the most visible faults of ARMA. Either as a game or an engine. In preparation for a re-release of some sort. My guess would be a console release.

Why be cynical about it? Who cares what they are doing it for. Personally, I like the game, so anything that gets BIS more revenue to refine this game and the next ones is bonus in my eyes. If they are grooming the game engine to release it on consoles or not, I see very little difference. Is it supposedly better if they are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts? The end result for the end user is the same... a regularly updated, constantly refined game that's fun to play...

Would be useful for BIS if they will provide some test cases for public release?

The changelog says what has been fixed, but how to test it? Sometimes it's trivial.

I like this idea. It would feel nice to give feedback from different cases that all players and BIS know instead of a general feeling and "if I do this".

plaintiff1

Absolutely. Like I stated, this makes me hope for a new/different AI control user interface as the current one would be more outright horrible for use with a joypad.

BIS:ArmA has less than a perfect track record, lets just hope they do not dumb the game down for a console release. THAT is my point.

AMD cpu

Xp-Pro

2gb Ram

Audigy2

Nvidia Gforce 7950 (512meg ram)

I experienced a very noticable increase in performance/smoothness by appending "-maxmem=512" to my starting shortcut.

Anyone else?

- why a10.pbo still disappears after uninstalling 1.12?

- how difficult can it be to write a proper changelog?

- has anybody ever complained about fov? its no big deal to change it without a patch.

i mean no disrespect, but why is everything done in such complicated ways. It can't be so difficult to establish communication with some reasonable people from the comm. and work with them.

I'm not very active in any forums etc. so don't crucify me if i missed

something. this new patch freaked me out. i am a programmer myself and i have the impression this "patch" took them about 10 mins, compiling included and testing skipped altogether.

regards I.

The new FOV is amazing with TrackIR 4, zoom/half zoom @2560x1600, it has given a much better feel of movement & awareness to ArmA.

Thanks BI.

Could the DirectChat VON volume be increased?

At the moment I have the sound effects at 20%, radio at 30%, TeamSpeak volume at near lowest possible, and all that because I have to increase the volume A LOT to hear direct as louder than a silent whisper, even with people close to me and talking face to face.

Quite disturbing to have to distort volume settings in TS and increase my overall volume to four, five times what I normally use, just to be able to use direct chat VON at all, since it's only for ArmA I need these screwed volume settings.

Hey! What happened to my AH6 m134 spread? biggrin_o.gif

I NEED that spread to give me a chance at hitting anything biggrin_o.gif without it, it's just too accurate. No spread at all right now, which I'm sure is unrealistic.

For what's it's worth. Below is my list of observations with the 1.12 Beta patch.

Lets start with the positive things...

+ The AI detection routines are much improved, AI can no longer track you by hearing alone, they just get the general direction. Now it's possible to do "one shot one kill" as a sniper and get away with it.

The same when you blow a satchel or throw a grenade, the enemy AI will know you are there but only your general direction and sometimes they can be way off when "guessing" your position if you stay well hidden.

Pre 1.11/1.12 Beta we countered/balanced the AI's "uber triangulating" capabilities by lowering their skill/precision in cfg. Now when the AI doesn't "cheat" anymore we was able to ramp up their skill/precision and it still feels OK (this increase in their skill level may partly explain why the AI seems more dynamic for us).

For me personally the above is the biggest improvements and IMHO it makes ArmA a whole new game when fighting against AI!

+ Not a bullet magnet for the AI directly after you fired an AT/RPG round.

+ AI path finding in cities and especially over bridges. Now they follow you over bridge at least, best in column formation.

+ Plant/tree morphing has improved alot over the 1.09 Beta.

+ MP: The "Headbug" seems fixed in multiplayer.

+ MG's recoils much better than 1.09 Beta.

+ AGS/Mk-19 GL recoils finally fixed.

+ Possible to join non dedicated host without issues.

+ Like that FFAR's is only real effective against soft targets now, it can still disable a APC but it will not blow it up with just 2 FFAR's anymore.

+ Ammo belt animations on MG's/Mk-19 GL.

+ New animation/movement speeds with AT/RPG in hands.

+ Easier to use ladders.

+ Overall a tad smoother movements/anims.

+ MP: Faster in/out of veichles.

+ Easier to handle the planes now (but still pretty chunky).

+ Lowered dispersion on AH-6/UH-60 miniguns (almost to good actually, a bit more spread makes it easier to hit).

+ Oil pumps animated.

+ The fixes to the nearTargets command.

+ AI fire fights lasts longer and they seem to use auto much more instead of just single shots firing and general AI seems a tad more agressive and the fightings more "dynamic".

+ After you destroyed/disabled and APC/tank the crew no longer bails out and pop you in the head within 1 sec, they more seems disorientated and shellshocked and it takes a while for them to get bearing of you if you expose yourself or fires at them.

+ Being able to select colored groups via the keyboard.

+ More likely to survive a crash landing in a MH-6/AH-6, helicopter do not explode if falling from low altitude anymore.

+ The lowered engine volumes in vechiles, makes communication in TS/VON much easier.

+ Now APC don't blow up sky high on the first RPG/AT hit.

Followed by the negative...

- In 1.12 Beta I unfortunately experience that shadows/textures (see pictures below) goes nuts along with low FPS and lots of stuttering and lag due to HD activity (probably writing errorlog?). It doesn't happen every time but I've experienced it several times while testing.

ArmA_112b_issue_01.jpg

ArmA_112b_issue_02.jpg

ArmA_112b_issue_03.jpg

ArmA_112b_issue_04.jpg

After checking the RPT-file there are lots of these lines....

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

Error: CreateVertexBuffer 8876017c (D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY); VID: alloc 484576960, limit 2147483647, free: local 27126016, nonlocal 1805311, virt. 1278234624, virt longest 192712704

Error: CreateVertexBuffer 8876017c (D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY); VID: alloc 484576960, limit 2147483647, free: local 27126016, nonlocal 1805311, virt. 1278234624, virt longest 192712704

VID: No space left for 2048x2048 (5592400 B); VID: alloc 479452896, limit 2147483647, free: local 30806528, nonlocal 2111743, virt. 1275453440, virt longest 192712704

Error: Failed to create surface texture

VID: No space left for 1024x1024 (1398096 B); VID: alloc 480588052, limit 2147483647, free: local 32905728, nonlocal 3263743, virt. 1229860864, virt longest 192712704

Error: Failed to create surface texture

- MP: Motor cycle bug where you fall off and die is still there, experience it several times on a low ping dedicated server (my ping was 11mS and no PL or desync) and got a feeling it was JIP related since people joined and left the server when it happend.

- MP: Reloading bug in Cobra when having human pilot and gunner is still there. Hellfires and FFAR's seems to reload OK but when it tries to reload the cannon it just starts over when it reaches 750...

- MP: When hosting a co-op game I couldn't jump into a abandoned enemy tank (T-72) as a gunner. If I did I was auto ejected after 5-10 sec. But if another player (client) jumped in he was allowed to use the gun in the tank as usual.

- When walking/running from grass surface to a road surface (thoose with white middle line) the corresponding sound change doesn't happens (still sound like you are on grass surface). In some places (Parisio) the sound will be OK when you reach a cross section. Also at some places when running on sand it sounds like you are running in grass

- AI seems to abandon their tanks/APC even if they are semifunctional after a hit by one AT/RPG, would be better if they continued to try to use them if they still can fire/move instead of bailing out (maybe try to retreat).

- Walls/fences popup much later than buildings (maybe it's some gfx optimizing thing ?).

- The new default FOV (I guess it's a personal preference).

- After adjusting FOV in XXX.ArmAProfile it's very hard to grab the clock/compass/notepad/GPS when in map screen. Seem like the 3D object is larger than the actual zone that detects your mouse pointer?

Suggestions beyond above mentioned issues...

Option to get rid of all VON icons/tags on screen or at least that the mic icon and channel text fades away after a ~10 sec just like the chat text.

Separate VON volumes, at least for Direct Speak.

A working "setSkill array" command.

When assigning a tank/veichle a color via the new team menu assign it would be great if the tank/veichle crew got the same color automaticly.

Make the joystick throttle axis linear and let it utilize the whole range.

Option to disable TrackIR when you zoom in with right mouse button and look thru the iron sight (like it was before 1.02 I think).

Performance:

On my HW I only notice a slight improvement in FPS over 1.08 but ain't complaining.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

ArmA 1.08

Mission         Norm    Zoom1    Zoom2  

------------------------------------------------

FPS_Test_1   28        29          34

FPS_Test_2   32        31          35

ArmA 1.11 Beta

FPS_Test_1   31        32          35

FPS_Test_2   34        33          35

ArmA 1.12 Beta

FPS_Test_1   31        31          33

FPS_Test_2   35        33          34

My hardware:

Windows XP Pro SP 2 with DirectX 9.0c

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (@ 3.0 GHz)

2 GB RAM

GeForce 7950 GT 512 MB with ForceWare driver 94.24

My ArmA shortcut:

"D:\Games\Armed Assault\Beta\arma.exe" -mod=beta -nosplash -profiles=d:\games\armeda~1\

My ArmA settings:

Resolution: 1280 x 960

View Distance: 2400 m

Terrain detail: Very High

Objects detail: High

Texture detail: Very High

Shading detail: Very High

Postprocess effect: Low

Anisotropic filtering: Normal

Shadow detail: Very High

Anitaliasing: Normal

Blood: High

Edit: Got a few more pictures showing when textures/shadows goes nuts.

/KC

A somewhat minor issue that i disliked (coming from OFP) in arma from day 1:

Ai's need to be able to drop weapons. (this way you can swap weapons between ai's /humans etc)

As far as i know this only works by having ai's "Gear" at something via command menu. This obviously does not work if there are no enemy corpses around or enterable vehicles/tents etc. Another result is that sometimes an ai goes suicidal running ahead to gear at a newly made corps, directly into enemy fire. An easy fix for this could be to add "Drop" to the command "action" menu and just have the gear screeny pop up when you select that.

It would also prevent stuff like "my wandering ai finally found something to gear at but HEY AN ENEMY IS COMING AT ME DAMN DAMN DAMN close you friggin gear menu BLAM BLAM dead".

Other then that: great patch. Arma is still getting better and better. Looking forward to Arma2 :-)

My feedback on 1.12b

Pretty cool so far. I hated the 1.11b, had many crashes.

This is more stable for me than the previous 1.11 beta. Textures seem to run smooth, no slow loading like in 1.11b.

I notice that an increase in slowdown on MP, which seems to happen on JIP, but not every server...

Im not to sure about the new FOV yet, seems too different and 'arcadey' for me, maybe the FPS has improved though.

My Specs,

AMD AM2 4200 DualCore

2GB DDR2 Ram

NVIDIA ASUS7900GS 256mb

ASUS M2V Motherboard

160 HD

Crappy creative sound card (no EAX)

XP Home

Most of my ingame setting are on normal and high. View distance is about half or under. But im going to continue to fiddle about with the settings, to get the best visual and performance i can.

smile_o.gif

- why a10.pbo still disappears after uninstalling 1.12?

- how difficult can it be to write a proper changelog?

- has anybody ever complained about fov? its no big deal to change    it without a patch.

i mean no disrespect, but why is everything done in such complicated ways. It can't be so difficult to establish communication with some reasonable people from the comm. and work with them.

I'm not very active in any forums etc. so don't crucify me if i missed  

something. this new patch freaked me out. i am a programmer myself and i have the impression this "patch" took them about 10 mins, compiling included and testing skipped altogether.

regards I.

As a programmer you should know that a "detailed" changelog is not something you send out to users. You simply don't send out your internal kitchen to users. What do you want CVS/Subversion access? confused_o.gif

When working on a bigger project "simple" stuff often becomes more complicated then it looks like on first sight.

They do work/test with people from the community.

Don't get freaked out by a beta patch of any software, after all, it's beta ain't it?

With patch 1.11, ARMA finally started w. Vista 64bit AND 4GB RAM.

But there are still problems (1.11 & 1.2) when I try to use it with Vista 64bit AND 8GB RAM. Same black display issue I had w. 4GB and 1.08 before.

My system:

Asus P5E, Q6600, 4x2GB Corsair PC6400 RAM, 2x ATI 3870, Vista Ultimate 64bit

this new patch freaked me out. i am a programmer myself and i have the impression this "patch" took them about 10 mins, compiling included and testing skipped altogether.

I don't see anything bad in this. I suppose the hurry was for the NAT traversal issue, which blocked many tests.

A somewhat minor issue that i disliked (coming from OFP) in arma from day 1:

Ai's need to be able to drop weapons. (this way you can swap weapons between ai's /humans etc)

As far as i know this only works by having ai's "Gear" at something via command menu. This obviously does not work if there are no enemy corpses around or enterable vehicles/tents etc. Another result is that sometimes an ai goes suicidal running ahead to gear at a newly made corps, directly into enemy fire. An easy fix for this could be to add "Drop" to the command "action" menu and just have the gear screeny pop up when you select that.

It would also prevent stuff like "my wandering ai finally found something to gear at but HEY AN ENEMY IS COMING AT ME DAMN DAMN DAMN close you friggin gear menu BLAM BLAM dead".

Other then that: great patch. Arma is still getting better and better. Looking forward to Arma2 :-)

Hit M and go to the notebook and then select the soldier. His gear will come up and you can make him drop it. A bit more complicated but I haven't had issues with it.

Your drivers seems to be really outdated.

With patch 1.11, ARMA finally started w. Vista 64bit AND 4GB RAM.

But there are still problems (1.11 & 1.2) when I try to use it with Vista 64bit AND 8GB RAM. Same black display issue I had w. 4GB and 1.08 before.

My system:

Asus P5E, Q6600, 4x2GB Corsair PC6400 RAM, 2x ATI 3870, Vista Ultimate 64bit

Has anyone tested this combination? 8GB, Vista 64bit, patch 1.11 or 1.12?

Your drivers seems to be really outdated.

your performance seems to be really outdated

bad joke aside, performance is still crap in arma .. i wish you had put your arma energy into that long ago

cleanrock, perhaps you would care to elaborate on that (thus giving actual feedback) instead of reiterating a pessimistic point of view held by many. wink_o.gif