Sign in to follow this  
BigFatDumbHead

ArmA won't start for me, either

Hi all,

I bought ArmA through Steam. The issue I am having is that when I try to run the ArmA program through Steam, nothing happens. No process is invoked that I can see through the Task Manager. When I invoke the .exe directly (it's in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\armedassault or something like that), I get an error message saying "Cannot initialize DirectInput. (DirectX 8 required.)" I have updated my machine to the latest DirectX from the MS website (March 2008 patch), I have updated my video card drivers to the latest from the NVidia site, I have updated my soundcard drivers, and even my motherboard BIOS. The same error keeps popping up.

I tried installing the Beta of ArmA and the same error occurs, although it is now preceded by the error message "Add On DBE HotFix requires...". When I click OK on that, it seems to proceed, but then I get the same DirectInput error as above.

I did have daemonTools installed once upon a time, but I've since uninstalled it and removed the entries in the registry for it as per instructions I found on the web. I don't think I have any other device emulation programs running or even installed. I have rebooted since the registry was changed to make sure the changes took effect.

My PC is a P4 3.2GHz w/ 2GB RAM, and a NVidia GeForce 6800GT (256MB). I run Windows XP Home and have it patched up to the latest Windows updates. I run a 19" NEC LCD monitor. Here is a quick dump of my dxdiag (I can provide the whole thing if anyone needs it):

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 3/28/2008, 07:42:53

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Alienware

System Model: Alienware

BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/28/06 19:03:00 Ver: 08.00.10

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 363MB used, 3067MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

I sure would like to play this game - any advice would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance,

- A Big Fat Dumb Head

I've solved the issue. Or, should I say, it solved me. :-)

I bought the game Rainbow 6: Vegas and installed it today - I figured if I can't play ArmA, why not some other nice shoot-em-up. Anyway, as part of that install, my DirectX was "updated" (even though I had the latest DirectX update available from the MS site). And lo and f***ing behold the game now runs! I'm not sure why but it worked, my frustrations seem to be now over.

I hope the game devs look into this. I doubt I'll be the last to come across this issue.

Later

Very strange indeed, well thanks for posting that you found a solution smile_o.gif

Well, you all are not going to believe this. The problem came back. I was playing ArmA fine on Sunday afternoon (multiplayer), and Monday night (single player). Today is Tuesday and I came home from work and tried to play and WHAM - "Cannot initialize DirectInput. Requires DirectX 8."

I have not installed anything new since I last played. The ONLY thing I did was to defrag my HDD. Why would that make a difference? No files should have been changed. I also don't have Windows automatic updates turned on so there is no way a DirectX "update" snuck by me. I even tried the original trick of intalling the DirectX drivers off the Rainbow 6 Cd and still no dice.

I'm at a loss. I sure would like it if some devs could look at this issue for me. What are the chances of that happening?

The fun continues!!

I rebooted my PC today and tried to play again and Voila' - it works. In singleplayer, at least. But seriously, WTF - I can't say with any confidence that this will stick. I'll try again in a couple of days after I get back from a vacation and the phase of the moon is different and I install a left handed mouse and defrag my USB ports and see if that fixes anything. :-0 Other than that it seems to be a guessing game.

I also gotta say - I'm surprised nobody else has had this problem? I feel like I'm talking to myself here. :-(

Considering the weirdness of whats happening...if it were my pc I would....

Disable some/most running programs

Do a virus and spyware scan (couple of scans using different programs)

Scandisk and defrag

Reinstall complete Nvidia video driver again (from Nvidia site)

Update Directx

I suspect virus/spyware or just corruption but also could just be something you have running

So, I've been able to identify the folder on my Rainbow 6 Vegas disc that contains the DirectX "update" that fixes my issues in being able to start ArmA. I was wondering if anyone here would like to take the initiative to host the folder on an FTP server somewhere. The folder includes a bunch of dlls and some other files, along with an .exe that installs everything. After running this .exe and a reboot, I can then play ArmA.

No ... that update doesn't work for me. I think I talked about this in my previous posts in this thread. The *only* way I was able to get ArmA to run was to "update" DirectX to an older version, the one that was contained on the Rainbow 6 Vegas game disc. You can't get that older version on the MS website anymore, at least not anyplace I looked. They only want you using the latest files and they don't work for me.

So, I was just wondering if anyone had the capacity to archive these files somewhere in case anyone else ran into this same issue. It would be a shame to have someone unable to play this great game because of a silly issue like this.

That could very well be the one. All the fies I have on my disc are dated 11/20/2006. Anyway I hope someone else finds this info useful.

same problem, vista64 poo edition, dx9 installed dx websetup installed. dx 10 installed, all to no avail.

your solution didnt work unfortunately. The dec06 dx files did do something but not what i wanted. I have also disabled UAC and running as admin. and am loading vanilla arma2 thru mod launcher, but it's the same if i just use the normal shortcut.

i have a copy of rainbow6 around here somewhere, going to go dig for it now.

Gav

Edited by Crosbie

I have this problem with Arma 2 OA. When I launch Arma 2 OA whith Expansion I get an error message saying "Cannot initialize DirectInput. (DirectX 8 required.). This trouble is with all beta bilds for OA.

DirectX 8 required

What version of directx do you got, you need to update your directx it seems.

It might be your firewall or a AV that's blocking the game from launching? Maybe adding the Game to 'Allow access' or 'safe' to the list? Worth a try. Meaning it might be because its not allowing access the DirectInput library. Just Creat an exception + set it to a trusted application

Edited by Encrypted_God

It might be your firewall or a AV that's blocking the game from launching? Maybe adding the Game to 'Allow access' or 'safe' to the list? Worth a try. Meaning it might be because its not allowing access the DirectInput library. Just Creat an exception + set it to a trusted application

It was the New Standalone Of DayZ that i had this trouble with, i disabled my antivirus and firewalls and it fixed the problem, strange because i never had to do this before to play it.

So i guess your right. its a firewall or AV that causes this issue :) thanks mate