Sign in to follow this  
Stryder

The most important features ARMA 2 needs to have

Actually there is a suddenly drop of fps when you zoom in and zoom out.Also the textures dont load for 3 seconds.These things cause a lot of lag even with my 8800gts and with settings on low-normal.I 've tried higher settings but its getting worse.

Now as for one thing I can live without: Real time backgrounds. I don't, as I'm sure many other people, don't like A. Waiting excessively to load the intro video. B. Waiting after exiting the editor to load the intro video. Simply make it a black backround with some white text and some good music. Bam boom bim, you got yourself a fast system right there for people who wanna get through the menu system a lot quicker. People may argue "well it loads the level", people don't have to play on Sahrani, there could be a whole host of islands people want to play on other than Sahrani, so loading not only the island but a mission/cinematic to go along with it.

True that.

Push the GUI fast without anything useless in the back, and once the GUI is up, you can preload an island in the background for futur use (the most used island, ofc, and something configurable).

Though the very core of this engine is that everything is done "in game", even the menus and such that are defined in .pbo files exactly like the rest of the game, so that may require much, much coding change.

Destructebal enviroment and real optics for vehicle llike the gpse for tanks and pods for aircrafts

A few things come to my mind that haven't been mentioned too many times already (I think).

1) Weapon animations: We've had them since OFP, and SLX does a pretty good job with animating the bolts on rifles and slides on pistols. I *really* would like to see my pistol slide kick back, and lock back when it's empty as in SLX, and I'd like my AK's bolt to blow backwards. Tiny little details like this would be really appreciated.

2) A complex morale model such as close combat which takes into consideration the emotional state and stability of soldiers. (As well as governing their reactions, such as shouting/communicating/screaming). Make the robots a bit more human seeming. I don't want them to simply size up every situation robotically; I want them to sound and seem stressed, to crack under pressure, run away, cower in fear, go berzerk, etc.

3) LAV-25 for marines. VBS has it, and Arma 2's marines need wheeled recon that can transport infantry (I have an affinity for the 25mm bushmaster cannon too). The aavp7 is too clunky to be more than a big amphibious taxi. I haven't seen this vehicle yet in any screenshots, but it's an important part of the marine force. I'd rather have an LAV than yet another helicopter for BLUFOR...

4) Missions that aren't just force recon, special forces style in the campaign. One of the best things about OFP for me were the missions where I was a grunt in a squad. Special forces missions are okay, but I'd like some big setpiece battles too...

Fix the game first.

Movement: It's clunky and still feels like 1999. Make it much more smooth and immersive.

Animations: Get rid of the "unstoppable" motion track animations. Most of the time they're annoying and slow. We need more control over the body.

Mouse Lag: You may think it's realistic, but it's annoying as hell. Plus, makes you dizzy after a few minutes.

Graphics: There's a lot of "overdraw" which slows down the game and contributes to lag. Some effects feels so old(fire, some smoke etc).

Sound: Weapon sounds. Stock ones are horrible. Sound mods are making it better but not much. I think it's something with the game engine, the sounds come out like you're listening to 1950's radio.

Bohemia is in a though competition with OFP2 now, and if OFP2 turns out better overall; they're doomed financially smile_o.gif Their only weapon is that they can release earlier, but I doubt ArmA2 will go further than just being an "expansion pack" to ArmA.

Apart from all the other features mentioned in this thread I would like to signify one important addition that lacks from OFP and ArmA: Suppressive Fire!

AI should fear of death, take cover if fired upon, should know how to calculate best cover if fired upon from several angles and so on. In another aspect- AI should know how to utilize suppresive fire and use it to their advantage. Suppresive fire accuracy should be very low.

For me it would be good AI which pretty much goes without saying.

Other than that, a realy good dynamic war/campaign like those of the old Sim games like Falcon 4 and Enemy Engaged, where there's always a War going on with the system creating missions for all of the allied / enemy squads, offence, defence, supply, interdiction etc.

Granted you'd need the most powerfull computer known to man to run it properly, but a guy can dream. inlove.gif

MUCH more improved physics engine! ffs my car blows up if I hit a tree with 20 km/h confused_o.gif

and all barrels and stuff could be fallen down etc.. obects flying around, trees falling apart by artillery fire. and for love of god, it would be awesome to fire fro mh6 with m4 biggrin_o.gif

I hope they do it. Allready the battle field has that opportunity, why not a military simulator then?? rofl.gif

I think physis will be the same as ArmA.

I think physis will be the same as ArmA.

Unfortunatly, i think you are right. And this would have been one of the main improvements arma needed...together with some better and more fluid animations.....

The main improvement ArmA would need is (as they said many times before) AI. If real war was like ArmA, instead of joining the army you could as well just take a handgun and shoot yourself at home. 5 minute fights of 2 company sized units with 100% casualties on one side and 80% on the other side? Thats not very realistic Id say. Not to meant that AIs are Very easy to kill in CQB because their reactions are soooo slooow. sad_o.gif

Also, as people said before me (again wink_o.gif ), would be great, if ArmA 2 had some of those improvements that community could already make for ArmA or OFP even. Like weapon animations, better tracers - models/textures and also make not every single bullet a tracer one, only squad leaders use to have that; every 5th in MGs/SAWs etc.

From what wasnt meant yet (I think) - such a backblast would be cool. smile_o.gif For example, if you used the M136 iin a room, it would bake you alive. So would the people / plants that stood behind you in an open area.

But Id say it would be a suicide to learn AIs to handle this.

i have to agree that physics and animation could be the downfall of ARMA 2 if not improved (as codies already have new one). ARMA mostly just feels like OFP with higher res textures and better looking models. feels quite inconsistant as well, they did a good job of updating the flight model and making guns feel more realistic (e.g. proper MG recoil) but i think they need to get everything to the same level.

a new sound engine. i dont know how they did it in bf2 and 2142 but those games have the most realistic automatic fire reproduction in a modern game yet. full auto isnt just the single shot stacked onto itself. another source of inspiration would be ghost recon (the first one) but i already figured out how they did those.

-Character animations

-Physics.

-AI (a clever one)

and we have a game.

...end of transmission.

-AI

-Animations

-Physics

There really is no 3 things more important for the survival of ArmA2

AI

Immersive Campaign

Good Enviroment

Accurate (That means Vehicles/Weapons need to be correct)

Out of curiosity what is so wrong with Arma's physics system?

I remember of course a few examples such as being flipped over by a destroyed building or being catapulted into the air but thats about it.

I could run into houses without fear of getting trapped in a table or piece of furniture like in OFP, never ran through small fences, couldn't use the run+prone trick to force myself through walls.

I do remember getting half stuck in a few hallways though because my character couldn't fit or hug a wall due to the weapon, though thats animation department as raising the gun up or down such as for example done in crysis would help maneuver through tight space like that.

But otherwise whats the big deal exactly?

So far ArmA2 looks like a re-skin of OFP that requires a NASA supercomputer (for the graphics alone). And OFP was a long time ago.

ArmA 2 DESPERATELY needs AI far beyond the ability of OFP. I watched some YouTube video of ArmA2 AI "improvements". What a sick joke! The AI lines up in the middle of the road, same as OFP. Stupid! I read about AI parking vehicles beside the road.

Who cares?

The AI must be able to seek the closest cover and to shoot from it. Not occasionally, as if by chance. All of the time. It needs to be able to suppress and be suppressed. The AI needs to be able to perform CQB at a reasonable level. The AI needs to be able to garrison buildings and otherwise dig in. Infantry in bunkers/trenches/foxholes should be an inherent part of ArmA2 (native, without modding). This lying down in the open stuff was forgivable in 2001, but definitely not now.

The AI should have access to assets like UAVs, arty, air, etc and be able to call them against enemy forces, without scripting (other than the mission maker designating what is available). AI should occur at a platoon to company level.

The effects from incoming fire should be more complex than hands hit/legs hit/lose some HP. A 2 minute fire-fight should not result in 100% casualties for 1 team. Morale and close-combat should be a factor. Medevacs should be necessary and should mean something. And as for the new revive system, why not add some wizards with Pheonix Down?

OFP AI (with mods) is far more feature-rich than ArmA. Is ArmA2 supposed to be a bunny-hopping console FPS trying to steal Halo players, or is is supposed to be an FPS wargame?

I know which one I will buy, and which one I won't.

And as for the new revive system, why not add some wizards with Pheonix Down?

I am amazed that you know exactly how the 'revive' system will turn out when little to no info. has been released about it.

Better damage textures and phases. And building damage too, instead of collapsing all of a sudden. And better AI, I have feeling were going to get the same stupid AI.

3) LAV-25 for marines. VBS has it, and Arma 2's marines need wheeled recon that can transport infantry (I have an affinity for the 25mm bushmaster cannon too). The aavp7 is too clunky to be more than a big amphibious taxi. I haven't seen this vehicle yet in any screenshots, but it's an important part of the marine force. I'd rather have an LAV than yet another helicopter for BLUFOR...

Fairly sure the LAV-25 appeared on a list of vehicles in ArmA II. You might want to check out the vehicle video on Armed Assault Info. I believe I saw it somewhere in that video.

Yeah, I spotted that in the vehicle list in that video as well! Also nice to see M1A1, ZSU-23, BMP-2, BRDM-2, etc return so we get a good balance of new and old equipment...

Also glad they have the weapon specific animations as well...

Hopefully the morale/suppression model is more robust as has been indicated in previews/interviews...