Sign in to follow this  
vipermanden

To much damage

Does anybody know if there are a fix for soldier damage? I mean if I fall from an edge (only 2 meters max) I get so hurt that I`ll must crawl, is that for real? in real life we have all jump from that height, and we are still running and smiling. I also seen it when AI Blawk Hawks deploy troops, half the men are hurt real bad or killed from the height of 1-2 meters.

I kind of agree on this, sometimes the AI just goes fubar and drops soldiers a bit to high resulting in a lot of crawling people...

But then again, these soldies are wearing lots of heavy equipment so it's logical they get more damage from falling down. But considering the AI it might be worth making it easier to fall from a only a little bit higher.

This would be a good experiment. Load yourself up with 30 kg of armour and gear and jump off a 2 meter embankment onto uneven ground with your hands full. You probably wouldn't break *both* of your legs. ^_^

I agree with disaster regarding the AI. They do seem to have some risky behaviour!

Yesterday night when playing the campaign with the new patch I entered Dolores and crossed the first bridge with a squad of AI following me.

I was very happy to see them follow me like little ducks on their way to safe water.

When we crossed the second bridge I had one of these moments again: "Oh noooo, 2 is down !"

This time it was definately not a result of too much harm for the cause as 2 managed to run through the bridge somehow and created an impressive road pizza down below.

I guess loosing one AI per bridge is acceptable though tounge2.gifxmas_o.gif

But still loosing squad members like that is not acceptable (sure from 3 meters) but not 1-2.

Heh, my philosophy is that it's still too soon to expect ACTUAL human intelligence from computer AI. That said, I think the AI in ArmA is pretty dang close all in all. Since 1.11, the AI DRIVERS (not infantry, still) seem about twice as humanlike in their abilities. Riding along as a passenger no longer feels like a ride at Disney World, now it's more like actually being in a car with someone. The fact that they can drive over bridges is, well, awesome. The fact that they couldn't before was pretty sucky, I guess. ;p

Heh, my philosophy is that it's still too soon to expect ACTUAL human intelligence from computer AI. That said, I think the AI in ArmA is pretty dang close all in all. Since 1.11, the AI DRIVERS (not infantry, still) seem about twice as humanlike in their abilities. Riding along as a passenger no longer feels like a ride at Disney World, now it's more like actually being in a car with someone. The fact that they can drive over bridges is, well, awesome. The fact that they couldn't before was pretty sucky, I guess. ;p

They run around through towns and maneuver in a much more realistic manner too. If only they responded better to being gunned down at long range by a tank's machinegun or some such. currently, they just stand there.

Yeah, that's a very fundamental flaw in the AI. They just don't understand the basic concept of cover at all. When you get shot by a foe that your weapons can't reach or who can otherwise out-gun your sorry asses ten to one, you get into cover, not just lay down or stand in the open like it doesn't really bother you all that much.

True, but I have noticed that occasionally one or two men will run for cover (like a rock, fuel pump, etc), but I'm using myriad addons so it's probably one of them that's causing that behaviour smile_o.gif

At the same time, mission creators always have the option to have the units run for (sort-of-)cover, flank, flee, etc when they sight enemies, via triggers and simple scripts.

Quote[/b] ]At the same time, mission creators always have the option to have the units run for (sort-of-)cover, flank, flee, etc when they sight enemies, via triggers and simple scripts.

Not really. Detecting and assigning a cover postion via a script is not that easy, flanking is also not that easy and fleeing also has to be coded manually, always keeping in mind that you have to override the AI FSM file temporarely or permanently to make this work.

Part of the problem is that we do not have access to the embedded functions available via Radio menu.

Some are simply missing:

- scan horizon

- Move to cover

- etc.

Hi, when you're loaded with the combat equipment and you've to

jump off from a chopper at 3m from the ground you've to roll for

prevent to break an ankle, a knee or worst... an open lower leg

fracture; it's true that we haven't such animation (jump and roll)

in the ArmA, but the weight and height combination has been very

badly "recreated" in the BIS games from the OFP times and sadly i

doubt that it will or could change in future patches or games. Let's C ya

Quote[/b] ]At the same time, mission creators always have the option to have the units run for (sort-of-)cover, flank, flee, etc when they sight enemies, via triggers and simple scripts.

Not really. Detecting and assigning a cover postion via a script is not that easy, flanking is also not that easy and fleeing also has to be coded manually, always keeping in mind that you have to override the AI FSM file temporarely or permanently to make this work.

Part of the problem is that we do not have access to the embedded functions available via Radio menu.

Some are simply missing:

- scan horizon

- Move to cover

- etc.

Okay, so perhaps I exaggerated slightly... they aren't exactly "simple" scripts wink_o.gif

(but you can still use waypoints+triggers , or dynamically create waypoints and combat behaviours that are vastly superior to just standing there and getting shot in the head, or lying down to wait for the sniper to zero his scope smile_o.gif)