Sign in to follow this  
hoz

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.11

I have to add one more post here.

I usually test a patch by using one of my own missions that is placed in dense woods surrounded by high mountains. I finally did that yesterday to check performance of new patch with this mission.

To sum it up: I was blown out of my socks !

The performance within the woods is ultrasmooth, no more lagging at all, no high FPS loss.

The best part of the story is that I have UPPED all my ingame settings to:

terrain detail high

texture high

Object detail high

shader high

shadows low

AF off

AA low

and upped the viewdistance from 900 to 2000

It´s incredible for me that it runs that smooth now in that area.

I still get texture loading bugs sooner or later when operating in villages and towns though, but the "outdoor" performance in dense woods is a blast now.

My system:

Athlon XP 3000+ @ 2,4 Ghz

2 Gig GEIL DDR RAM

Leadtech 7600 GT AGP

running FDF sounds and Armaeffects mod

and using the maxmem extension in shortcut

I´m really impressed. thumbs-up.gif

Just thought I'd share a few screenshots of taskmanager comparing 1.09 and 1.11.

I run a dedicated server that is for a few players only on the same machine I run arma. 1.09 seems to be a bit smoother, but I'm not complaining since I only have 2 GB of ram and I realize this is not enough to run both the client + server smoothly.

Anyways, on the top is 1.09 running, and on the bottom is 1.11

Quite interesting, 1.09 shows way more memory being used by the processes, but the Commit Charge is much lower for 1.09. I guess this is just due to the new way in which arma is allocating memory?

109ht4.png

111ye0.png

For me, as a "regular" player, who doesn't understand any of this technical stuff, 1.11 has not brought anything.

I get less fps than in 1.09b so guess im going back to use it. Virtual memory usage may be smaller but at what cost.. pistols.gif

Hi all

AI are more tenacious and a fair bit brighter. Been playing evo a bit and towns are harder to take. Seems to be about 3 times as long as in the past.

I used to beat ArmA AI at 30 to 1. I am doing some research to find out how much brighter they are now.

Kind regards walker

As I have reported HERE,

it seems that it's impossible to join an MP game hosted by simple computers (that is non-dedicated server).

Anybody else has this problem with 1.11 ?

confused_o.gif

Nobody's got this problem ?

It's quite easy to test it : just create an MP game (non queen gambit) on your computer, and ask someone to join your game (he should have 1.11 too).

You'll get "Connexion failed".

Forgot to mention : I don't have queen gambit.

i dont get it, i am running ARMA with ECS, Arma Effect, FDF sound, and tons of other stuff, yet the game runs like cream for me even in large battle, assuming i have only 3/4 of your "gaming power" my system always handle ARMA fairly well, this patch is by far the smoothest one confused_o.gif

Can any BIS staff comment on why some poeple are having difficulties connecting to some servers?

I can host a server on my machine but have noone in my clan connect to it.

I will not play (actually CANNOT) with this new patch unless either some workaround is shown or a hotfix from BIS.

HELP ! The performance increases are wonderful but I only play MP and therefore I cannot get the full benefit of the patch!

[TAO] Kremator

Can any BIS staff comment on why some poeple are having difficulties connecting to some servers?

I can host a server on my machine but have noone in my clan connect to it.

I will not play (actually CANNOT) with this new patch unless either some workaround is shown or a hotfix from BIS.

HELP ! The performance increases are wonderful but I only play MP and therefore I cannot get the full benefit of the patch!

[TAO] Kremator

Here's the reason: It's a beta patch.

Yes, I have the same problem and reported it earlier in this thread (see page 10). Guess we have to wait for an answer/workaround from BIS, be patient, it's a beta patch and easter holidays after all...

/KC

Solved since 1.11beta (for me using Vista 32 ultimate):

-> 4GB Ram bug (FYI: I use latest Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series Driver 2.15.0006 which address a 4GB bug too)

-> Crashes and heavy performance drops after 15-30mins play

-> Running out of Vid memory (ATI HD3850-512MB-Cat8.3)

-> Texture loading times improved

PLEASE solve:

-> Since patch version 1.08, ifeel mouse effects seem to be not working or disabled (I use the last Logitech Mouseware 9.80 XP driver)

-> Adjustable force feedback strength (iFEEL mouse and FFB Wheels/Joysticks)

-> A guide line could be OFP for the strength of iFEEL effects, which are significantly stronger than in ArmA.

P.S.: iFEEL mice work absolutely flawless in Windows XP (32bit) & Vista (32bit). Although not supported, games with built in iFEEL effects still work even under Vista.

NOTHING BEATS a Logitech iFEEL ("forcefeedback") Mouseman  inlove.gif

Yes, I have the same problem and reported it earlier in this thread (see page 10). Guess we have to wait for an answer/workaround from BIS, be patient, it's a beta patch and easter holidays after all...

/KC

mm ok huh.gif

Thank you BIS for this patch.

I have been playing PvP evolution for over 3 hours last night and all seemed nice and smooth.

AI squad followed me easy in houses and cities and the enemy ai seemed a bit more smart.

- One thing i noticed about the new brigde crossing.

When the brigde is broken, the ai will still try to walk over.

Result, ai falls to their death smile_o.gif

I suppose ai is forced much stronger to cross the brigde, and that is very nice off course.

Maybe they should stop doing that when the bridge is down.

- Fire mode of the rifles still swithches back to single shot after disembarking a verhicle or after using the binoculars.

No big bad things.

I am happy so far wink_o.gif

I have just check the issue and I think I am able to reproduce it (your video helped a lot, so that I knew what exactly to look for). What I see is with high enough display resolution the smallest step we are able to do with mouse with default settings is larger than one pixel.

This increment is constant in screenspace for all zoom levels, there if you jump two pixels in one zoom level, you jump two in all zooms (this actually means you move your weapon smoother when zoomed, as pixel represents a narrower angle then)

Default behavior for Windows applications to accommodate for both slow and fast mouse movement is to use acceleration (very detailed description is available at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/input/pointer-bal.mspx). We currently do not use any.

The options you currently have:

1) If you decrease x sensitivity, you decrease this step as well, however you need to move your mouse more then when turning.

2) When you zoom, you increase the movement precision. The cursor still jumps the same offset on the screen, but this corresponds to a smaller real weapon movement

I will check if we can introduce some pointer ballistics to allow for a smoother movements without hindering the overall aiming speed.

A simple solution (that I haven't thought through from a developer's point of view) is that when you hold your breath, perhaps it could also reduce sensitivity so that tiny, smooth movements such as aiming slightly left or right that are possible?

Aside from that, the patch has made things a lot better, I think.

Patch works for me ok, but ther is two things that really piss me off :

1. Mk19 and AGS recoil making vehicles to perform rocket jumps

2. Loosing weapons and dying in water after long swim.

Is that really a bug, or intentional?

It's been in the game for a long time...

I had always assumed that you get to a point where you've been in the water so long that you are far too tired to carry your equipment AND tread water, so you drop your equipment to survive.

Quote[/b] ]I have just check the issue and I think I am able to reproduce it (your video helped a lot, so that I knew what exactly to look for). What I see is with high enough display resolution the smallest step we are able to do with mouse with default settings is larger than one pixel.

This increment is constant in screenspace for all zoom levels, there if you jump two pixels in one zoom level, you jump two in all zooms (this actually means you move your weapon smoother when zoomed, as pixel represents a narrower angle then)

Default behavior for Windows applications to accommodate for both slow and fast mouse movement is to use acceleration (very detailed description is available at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/input/pointer-bal.mspx). We currently do not use any.

The options you currently have:

1) If you decrease x sensitivity, you decrease this step as well, however you need to move your mouse more then when turning.

2) When you zoom, you increase the movement precision. The cursor still jumps the same offset on the screen, but this corresponds to a smaller real weapon movement

I will check if we can introduce some pointer ballistics to allow for a smoother movements without hindering the overall aiming speed.

Thanks for your reply, Ondrej.

I've read a bit about Pointer Ballistics, sounds promising. I hope it works out.  smile_o.gif

I had always assumed that you get to a point where you've been in the water so long that you are far too tired to carry your equipment AND tread water, so you drop your equipment to survive.

Yes but this intention is killing amphibious operations. Whole swiming system is used only when you must be in water (eg. ejection from a plane ). It easier and much more realistically to kill soldier or remove weapons using scripts than using scripts to prevent such "nice" intention .

Yes but this intention is killing amphibious operations. Whole swiming system is used only when you must be in water (eg. ejection from a plane ). It easier and much more realistically to kill soldier or remove weapons using scripts than using scripts to prevent such "nice" intention .

or maybe have a script to remove the feature would be nice

Hello. Thanks for the new patch, the VON seems to be working flawlessly now biggrin_o.gif.

However i have a problem with the new flight model. I use the keyboard and mouse, and i noticed it when i realised it was a hell of alot harder in 1.11 to accurately engage singluar targets like tanks with the A10's cannon.

It appears to me that in 1.11, the mouse control (Turn left and Turn right) not only banks the plane using the airelons (the flaps on the wings) but also utilises the rudder(the flaps at the back)? While i was able to engage targets accurately out to more than a kilometer in 1.09, i cannot in 1.11 due to erratic mouse movement.

I am not a pilot and have no clue how planes handle in real life, but as far as i understand the controls for each should be seperate since they basicly do different jobs. I checked my controls and they were unchanged from 1.09.

Anyone who used fixed wing aircraft to strafe tanks and so on will notice the difference immediately, and i would appreciate if more people commented on the subject.

To reproduce:

-try to fly an a10 and kill some stationary tanks with the cannon in 1.09 from longe ranges (1km ish)

-And then try the same in 1.11.

-the result should be that it will be alot harder to aim in 1.11.

i've had a CTD (the first one with arma) with version 1.11 after about 20 minutes playing in SP mode. i put the error in case it has useful info:

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 00573E2D

graphics: D3D9, Device: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX, Driver:nv4_disp.dll 6.14.11.6218

resolution: 1152x864x32

Version 1.11.5244

Fault address: 00573E2D 01:00172E2D C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\beta\arma.exe

file: asalto%20a%20Iguana%20link%20II

world: Sara

Prev. code bytes: DC 91 00 EB 08 F3 0F 10 05 C4 DC 91 00 8B 45 08

Fault code bytes: F3 0F 10 90 FC 00 00 00 F3 0F 59 15 08 93 9B 00

Registers:

EAX:00000000 EBX:00000000

ECX:000E41FA EDX:000E2334

ESI:07340018 EDI:14D2F000

CS:EIP:001B:00573E2D

SS:ESP:0023:0125F93C EBP:0125F958

DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000

Flags:00010206

regarding this error, i've had serious corrupt problems in the S.O. so don't take it in count , i've had to reinstall everything

Arma 1.11 meteor :

Armatankfly.jpg

whistle.gif

Ingame screenshot from a mission I am working on. No staging, no tricks. I actually heard the mine go boom and heard a strange engine noise going over my head, turned around and hit the printscreen button quite excessive to capture the pic wow_o.gif

Seems like the guys at BIS missed the infamous Skoda Golf Mishuns biggrin_o.gif

Or they just reminded the simple philosophy: Squash one bug, revive three older ones...

Skoda Golf is classic thumbs-up.gif

M1´s killing troops by falling out of the sky is not so classic but still fun to watch.

heh the flying tanks and vehicle bug has been around for a while I have seen hopping M1's flying BMPS/T72/Shilkas/Tractors/Cars/Buses/Bikes just get a tank in the editor and start ramming stuff and watch some weird mayhem