Sign in to follow this  
Auss

Pic of Sydney

Why do you have a Minaret in Sydney??? There aren't minarets anywhere in Australia

Not entirely true, whether we like it or not Australians are a a multi-cultural bunch. And they do still build minarets on thier mosques here. Though most mosques are found on the fringes of our cities as they generaly belong to our more recent imigrants.

a mosque is a part of any modern multicultural state wink_o.gif

All that war and bad stuff in the middle east tends to make lots of people flee to other countries that are safer to raise their children in and where they can work and stuff without the constant pressures they face in their old homeland.

srry for OT.

I am Australian and i have never seen a Minaret, i see many different religious things such as some mosque's but never Tall Middle Eastern style Minarets such as the one near the Sydney Harbour Bridge

mosque's but never Tall Middle Eastern style Minarets such as the one near the Sydney Harbour Bridge

I think there is at least one tall one on the out skirts of Melbourne. But I conceed it doesn't look much like the QG one. But then again so-what? If we were to set out to create a perfect example of Australia we would be here till next century with all the addons we'd need to create.

(I know coz I'm one the few who are).And if we stuck  too rigidly to using only those addons that fit perfectly, the map would be so dull and repetitive as to give a more false view of the Australian landscape.

At the end of day I think its better that it should be present on the map. It atleast says someting about the larger Australian community, its elgalatarian views, and openess to people from all cultures.

And although this map is big, the real deal is a LOT bigger so we need to adopt a sort of 'big Australian theme park mentality' and simplify things a bit.

That said. I doubt you'll be disapointed

You have to remember we are using only the ArmA & QG addons....plus a few of our own to make it as close as we can to Australia without leaving a Huge Download......

You will find that the details you see in the Pictures are as close as we can to Australia.....also you have to remember that we have to keep the FPS down as much as possible to make it playable online

You will find playing this map that vehicles is your best friend....so if you get stranded out in the desert....you got a long walk ahead of you tounge2.gif

holy crap!

I have to admit, when I first read your original post, I thought there was no way you could finish this but it looks like you're proving me wrong smile_o.gif

Same here, this is very impressive smile_o.gif

this island seems very promising! can't wait to make 'em missions on this, things like support trucks and air really have to make a difference in such a big landscape. inlove.gif

btw are there any long rivers crossing parts of the country?

Are you making seaports that could be used later on for cargo ships or cariers parked at. tounge2.gif

oh yeah also will there be any modern skyscraper buildings?

Quote[/b] ]btw are there any long rivers crossing parts of the country?

Yes. Longest river is approx 8-10Kms long (some pics below)

Quote[/b] ]Are you making seaports that could be used later on for cargo ships or cariers parked at.

Yes. I've added some of Gnats ships to show the large ports that are in Sydney. All the major capitals have large ports.

Quote[/b] ]oh yeah also will there be any modern skyscraper buildings?

Yes. We have some new massive sky scrapers that are currently being textured and I'll put some pics up once there on the island.

Quote[/b] ]oh and good luck on modelling the Oprah House

Already completed the shape of the Sydney Opera House, it needs texturing.

ArmA%202008-09-15%2016-09-52-23.jpg

arma%202008-09-15%2016-22-34-76.jpg

arma%202008-09-15%2016-24-06-27.jpg

arma%202008-09-15%2016-27-21-62.jpg

All the major Runways have been built by different members of the team so theres heaps of variety in Size and Shape.

I'll stop posting pics now prob get told off by Placebo..lol

Still along way to go and alot of trees and shaping to do.

Oh lastly huge thanks to Gnat for allowing me the use of his ships to check the Dock and port sizes.. Thanks mate!!

Just out of curiosity. Did you try to force AI in boats to use those rivers? Do they stuck up or can they drive up or down the river?

BTW pics look great.

Quote[/b] ]Just out of curiosity. Did you try to force AI in boats to use those rivers? Do they stuck up or can they drive up or down the river?

Good question, just tried the AI in boats, they navigate up the river albeit slowly until they reached a big bend in the river then they stopped, I have put a cutting there and eroded the banks so they will pass around the sweeping bend and continue up the river, from the looks of it I'll need to widen and deepen the river in some places, thanks for that I hadnt thought to check

Wow! I'll also have to admit that when this thread opened, I thought "pfffft....good luck". But gee whiz it's looking flash now! You're a very hard-working soul, which tells me you're probably not really an 'Aussie' tounge2.gif

You're a very hard-working soul, which tells me you're probably not really an 'Aussie' tounge2.gif

LOL .... we project a good image dont we ..... but its all show, days sittin at the pub, at the beach having BBQs ....

Australians up there with hardest workers .....

I myself need a break ..... have accured 6 months annual leave! Need to take some time off so I can finish some ships for Australian ArmA Navy wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]You're a very hard-working soul,

LOL I can feel a billboard coming on..

I cannot claim all the credit, I have a team of "dole bludgers" working on this project too..lol

Sorry to high-jack your thread Aussie, but I couldn't let an opportunity to post this go begging...

Any chance of you branching out into vehicle addons?

Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to this map! Keep at it! notworthy.gif

lol

I can hear it now...

Aussie: Hey Pafetik this guy had a great sugestion.......

Pafetik: Hmmmm OK (coz he's a sucker)

Seriously. I've already started collecting orthos of Australian vehicles and hope to one day have time to do one or maybe three. But my current lack of experience, time, and putting the island first means that they may be a long way off, if ever.

But it's a good motivator to hear people want them, so who knows?

wow... imagine warfare in there... it would be colossal. now we can have proper air support... and days to finish it. good job

notworthy.gif

I checked some parts of the OGN forums and dudes the island looks more sweet! Im wondering how have you made the dam with different elevations?

Very nice. Some looks spot on and some maybe a little too tropical. But regardless, bloody good work and I'm looking forward to playing with this smile_o.gif I'm also sure our clan will adopt it as well as all aussie clans should smile_o.gif

Awesome bushmaster too