Sign in to follow this  
Auss

Pic of Sydney

Hmm, I seem to remember someone volunteered to build that... wink_o.gif

I did a bit of reading on it before they did, thinking maybe I'd tackle it after the bridge, and it actually wouldn't be an overly difficult job. While the roofline looks very complex & 3D, it's actually just a bunch of spherical sections, all of the same radius (mostly done to make it cheaper to build).

Aussie What's the cell dimension on your map? Are you getting the bug where you can't select objects in V3, or did you go with larger cells to stay within the cell limit where this bug isn't present?

While the roofline looks very complex & 3D, it's actually just a bunch of spherical sections, all of the same radius (mostly done to make it cheaper to build).

Arh! .... looking again I can see that now ..... neat!

And as for building that too Bern ..... at least you dont have to test drive vehicles over it biggrin_o.gif

Should like to see this released so I can flatten Sydney in the name of Brisbane. smile_o.gif

I hear ya brother!

I may sometime get around to building the Story Bridge, if'n I can get the Sydney Harbour one working properly...

(*hehehehe ... good old east coast bashing .... and Perth continues to remain a very pleasant secret .... mmmuch better this way*)

Hey Aussie and co.

i was looking at the OGN thread, and i was curious about a few things:

are you planning to make any country-style buildings, like farmhouses, hay-bale sheds, grain silos etc. to go in your map?

also, are all the new buildings (and roads) your making going to be placeable in the map editor? eg, would a mission maker have the ability to extend suburbs, etc. if they wanted to?

cheers guys

Its been a while since I updated this thread, so I thought I'd show some WIP of Australia.

arma%201.jpg

arma2.jpg

arma%203.jpg

arma%202008-09-09%2013-02-57-66.jpg

arma%202008-09-09%2013-07-22-73.jpg

arma%202008-09-09%2013-08-08-66.jpg

Are you working alone on this?

notworthy.gif It is trully amazing mate!

What I really like about your map is the VARIETY of the envirnoment... Incredible! You have cities, jungles, beaches, forest, fields, dams etc... thumbs-up.gif

Its been a long process, as anyone thats made an island can appreciate the difficulty of it, especially something of this size.

At the moment the lads are working on completing the major cities in each state, unfortunetly RL has meant that some of the work on Key areas like satelite and mask wont be ready for another 6-8 weeks. I've sorted all the problem areas, binarizing and custom clutter etc plus all 15 airports feature autolanding and are AI friendly.

All roads are finished (although I still find areas that need dirt roads added..lol)

Sydney Opera house has been built but needs texturing and lods added.

Theres large areas of Jungles along with a huge swamp lands, and at the other end of the scale 20K plus of deserts in the west. Lastly theres some "secret" areas that you'll have to find amounst dense forests (i've added a pic of one of them)

holy crap!

I have to admit, when I first read your original post, I thought there was no way you could finish this but it looks like you're proving me wrong smile_o.gif

Some info on the island:

Terrain grid size: 2048

Terrain Cell size: 20 Meters

Texture Layer size: 40x40 Meters

I experimented for many weeks until I found the above combination gave me stabilty and very good FPS at increased View Distance. The pics in the last post were taken with approx 6000 VD

Orignally I used 4096 by 10 Meter cells but encountered the dreaded V3 Object bug.

Object count: 276,000

6 Major Airports and 9 smaller grassy/desert airstrips

Over 500Km roads

Lots of new addons and custom sounds but I dont want to give too much away smile_o.gif

Oh and were always looking for Island makers to lend a hand building cities. If you have experience in V3 and would like to help please PM me the more the merrier!!

Quote[/b] ]Why do you have a Minaret in Sydney??? There aren't minarets anywhere in Australia

It wont be there in the finished version. I was toying with the idea of making a big Mosque in Sydney but hadn't deleted it when that pic was taken. But you never know I may just stick it back in..lol

WOW notworthy.gif

Looking damn excellent ! It's really a beautiful 'island' you did there... Keep up ! With that level of detail and this kind of scenery, this is going to be a must have !

6 airports = fun in Warfare wink_o.gif

Malick

I liked the mentioned settings, they will be nice for weaker systems.

The map looks better and more realistic.

Great work and good luck. smile_o.gif

Again well done to the Aus OGN members that have put there gaming aside for this project thumbs-up.gif