Sign in to follow this  
arktan

First person view is not realistic

good to know that yay.gif

It wouldn't make much sense for me to make this addon in that case since i have to make the whole config-thing. So i guess i'll just lean back, enjoy life and wait until you release another version of your great mods. biggrin_o.gif

to the other guys: Thanks for the input, mates. I guess it's better if we wait a little longer... whistle.gif

P.S. rg7621, are you playing an Ibanez sevenstring? biggrin_o.gif

good to know that yay.gif

It wouldn't make much sense for me to make this addon in that case since i have to make the whole config-thing. So i guess i'll just lean back, enjoy life and wait until you release another version of your great mods. biggrin_o.gif

to the other guys: Thanks for the input, mates. I guess it's better if we wait a little longer... whistle.gif

P.S. rg7621, are you playing an Ibanez sevenstring? biggrin_o.gif

Hell yes, I am. biggrin_o.gif Those are the only guitars I own. Old rg series 6 sting (1st guitar I owned). Then an rg7 string 7621 and a baritone rg7 string 7421xl (27" scale neck), hence where my nick comes from. Me likey 7 strings. tounge2.gif

Do you happen to have one as well or just know of them?

---

I could technically release a beta version of this fix, but in general, I think the less releases the better with all the pbo signing and whatnot. Plus, it's not like anyone else besides you really wanted or was even aware of this, heh. Beta testers rather then a public released beta, hmm...

well i have an Ibby 7321 (that's my favorite but first i had to change the pickups [x2n7 baby!!!]) and i also have a RG2228 8-string which is pretty kick ass but i still haven't figured out how to use the whole spectre of 8 strings... i also have an Ibanez K7 and an Ibanez S7320 but i really don't play them much since i don't like the sound of mahagony....

are you registered at the sevenstring.org forums maybe? If not, do it dude, it's a pretty cool forum or at least take a look at it...

tralala i'm offtopic.... whatever, guitars first!

I could technically release a beta version of this fix, but in general, I think the less releases the better with all the pbo signing and whatnot. Plus, it's not like anyone else besides you really wanted or was even aware of this, heh. Beta testers rather then a public released beta, hmm...

I figure the only versions that needs signing is the first non-betas smile_o.gif

Is it possible to flip the thinking on what models get the fix? i.e. all units get the fix, but pilots receive the original setting. Just the price of being a pilot smile_o.gif

I figure the only versions that needs signing is the first non-betas smile_o.gif

Is it possible to flip the thinking on what models get the fix? i.e. all units get the fix, but pilots receive the original setting. Just the price of being a pilot smile_o.gif

Firstly, bow down to Arktan and his 8-string notworthy.gifrofl.gif

Secondly, IF I understand you correctly (You want all models to have this change, including the pilot class?), I can't justify messing with the view of the pilot class since it is lined up correctly right now untouched. I am certain I would get tons of complaints about that if I messed with it. It just makes more sense to leave that class alone to have the correct view when flying.

Firstly, bow down to Arktan and his 8-string notworthy.gifrofl.gif

Secondly, IF I understand you correctly (You want all models to have this change, including the pilot class?), I can't justify messing with the view of the pilot class since it is lined up correctly right now untouched. I am certain I would get tons of complaints about that if I messed with it. It just makes more sense to leave that class alone to have the correct view when flying.

No, you've somehow misunderstood what I was saying biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

Everyone BUT the pilots get the fix. No great deal for the pilots to have the original setting, and soldiers shouldn't be in the cockpit anyway smile_o.gif

If all vehicles have the HUD problem then maybe you could also add "crew" personnel to the omit list.

--Ben

i experimented with BIS free soldiers and i got this

This is the standard-over-the-left-eye view of ARMA

[pic]

this is what you get when you move the camera to the right eye

[pic]

see a difference? Is the edited better? if yes i would maybe consider to make a replacement addon...

Yes... Do want!

The camera position has bothered me since day 1 of playing ArmA.

Interesting find. I wonder what the story behind this is?

i don't get what you mean...

could shed some light on me? biggrin_o.gif

Probably not right but if I had to make a guess I would say to appeal to a few more of the streamlined people.

We know that streamliners and even some simmers don't like things cluttering up their screen, most HUD pieces you see are always in corners or edges of the screen.

So BIS moved the camera position so that the gun would not clutter up the center but instead off to the corner where it would block less and be less distracting, personally I don't like it, I prefer the OFP style which would be the right eye.

Yeah, I've known of BIS' little tweak since the first MLODs came out courtesy of Synide.

I agree with xnodunitx in that it was a part of their "arcadey" approach to attract more gamers and look a bit more FPS-y more than RS3ish, which, IMHO (and being a realism nutter) is disappointing to me. I loved the old screens of ArmA where the gun was really quite prominent.

My current ACU dudes have the point in the center of the head to replicate equal left eye/right eye input, but I think I will shift it over the right eye because that view seems a lot more realistic IMHO, for the next update.

EDIT - Wrong eye. icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I've known of BIS' little tweak since the first MLODs came out courtesy of Synide.

I agree with xnodunitx in that it was a part of their "arcadey" approach to attract more gamers and look a bit more FPS-y more than RS3ish, which, IMHO (and being a realism nutter) is disappointing to me. I loved the old screens of ArmA where the gun was really quite prominent.

My current ACU dudes have the point in the center of the head to replicate equal left eye/right eye input, but I think I will shift it over the right eye because that view seems a lot more realistic IMHO, for the next update.

EDIT - Wrong eye.  icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif   I'll be surely expecting them!  inlove.gif

ADDON-makers unite! It would be cool if more people were thinking like that (off course if the community wants such a view)

No, you've somehow misunderstood what I was saying biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

Everyone BUT the pilots get the fix. No great deal for the pilots to have the original setting, and soldiers shouldn't be in the cockpit anyway smile_o.gif

Sorry, it was a little misunderstanding on both ends.

I said "...but the UNCHANGED Pilot class should be used for flying jets (Anything with a hud, so jets and ka50).... So, every unit uses the same setting except for the pilot which will remain unchanged."

Then I got confused when you asked "Is it possible to flip the thinking on what models get the fix?", because I already intended on leaving the pilot class alone, which is what you also want... "i.e. all units get the fix, but pilots receive the original setting. Just the price of being a pilot smile_o.gif".

-------------------------

Just to be extra clear - Every unit will receive the view change except for the PILOT class which will remain UNCHANGED (what you see now in ArmA).

If all vehicles have the HUD problem then maybe you could also add "crew" personnel to the omit list.

--Ben

The only "major" issues are the Air vehicles, so only the jets and Ka-50. I don't quite see a need to leave the crewman class unchanged right now. The only issue with the crewman that I see is with the m113 driver, but that can be fixed by the vehicle model itself.

Probably not right but if I had to make a guess I would say to appeal to a few more of the streamlined people.

We know that streamliners and even some simmers don't like things cluttering up their screen, most HUD pieces you see are always in corners or edges of the screen.

So BIS moved the camera position so that the gun would not clutter up the center but instead off to the corner where it would block less and be less distracting, personally I don't like it, I prefer the OFP style which would be the right eye.

I would have to disagree. I could be completely wrong, but I still think it has to do with pilot positions in jets. I don't see anyway to move your player model position in the cockpit. The body and legs are positioned perfectly along with the hand on the stick. There is no room to move the body, so my guess is that they had to adjust the pilot memory point higher and to the left for everything to match up. Since I know nothing about modeling, I could be completely off, but it makes sense to me that you would adjust that small thing rather then re-due all the cockpit models and/or player position/animations. confused_o.gif

I'm extremely happy you posted and want to further adjust your badass "ACU dudes". Check your pm smile_o.gif

========================

After doing a quick run through with all the vehicles, two issues came to my attention.

1) *EDIT* It turns out that the m113 is fine. It's my fault for having some other mods enabled when I tested this. Not to say it's related to SLX_vehicles, but when I disabled that mod the unit sat correctly in the m113. Again, it may not be related only or at all to that mod. It was just a quick observation when I disabled it. However, problem #2 below is still an issue that needs to be resolved.

2) The gunner of the 5T truck cannot look down the sight of the gun like the gunner of the hmmwv can. Even in default ArmA that's the case (your eye is slightly higher then the horizontal ironsight alignment, so you see the tracers going slightly up). This one mounted weapon was not set up correctly. I have to look into this, but I possibly have to create a memory point in the vehicle model or the gun itself. Right now, with the view change you either have to use the crosshair to aim or aim with the tracers, since you view is down and to the right. This should be fixable. (If anyone wants to shed some light on this, please do. I'll start looking into it later.)

icon_rolleyes.gif this sounds like you're almost done....

hehe pistols.gifyay.gif

Very glad to hear, I love your ACU units..replaced them with the latest as soon as I could, its fun in Evo servers sometimes..usually most people are SF while here I am sitting as the only medic and have more armor then them.

It actually is possible to move your player model and thus view around in a helicopter or plane entirerly with the use of the cursor...it wasn't intentional but I remember this when we were testing the apache longbow with TEDAC, I'm not sure what happened but I could even look down and watch my character sort of scooting left and right on his butt.

You're arguement makes some sense but you did say the pilotview can be NOT tweaked, still it is possible but they had shown videos and an image or two of being in aircraft early on with the camera set in the right eye...still at this point it won't matter I suppose, whats done is done and I'm glad it will be reversed. smile_o.gif

The soldier's "master eye" (same as camera eye in game-terms) should always be the same side as the shoulder from which he fires his weapon.

When this is the case, a soldier is able to both look down the sights/through the scope AND scan for targets with both eyes open.

If his master eye is his left eye, he has to close it in order to look down the iron sights, which deprives him of the ability to scan for targets while looking down the iron sights.

If a person's master eye IS his left eye, he should learn to fire his weapon from his left shoulder. This might feel uncomfortable, but he would already be handicapped firing from the right shoulder, anyway.

I could be wrong, but I believe that most people have a master eye which matches their handedness. I am one of the "lucky" exceptions.

CONCLUSION: The camera should DEFINITELY be from the soldier's right eye, given that the soldiers seem to be firing from the right shoulder.

This might be one of the reasons ArmA doesn't "feel" like OFP to me, though I'm not sure where the camera is in OFP:R.

whodunit, sounds like you're realizing that NO ONE (the article below corrected me, saying that RARE people do) has a view with equal inputs from both right and left eyes, resulting in an view that appears to be from between both eyes. Everyone is either left or right, with the subordinate view providing depth perception and additional field of view + peripheral vision.

Here's an article for reading up on this matter...

The Eyes Have It

My statement had nothing to do with people and their vision, it was merely about classes on grunt vs pilot, IE having their vision located in different spots by class like those who mentioned it.

And how did you get a W and H out of an N, or was that an attempt at insulting me.

Wow...this was an intersting thread! I never knew but this is one of the reasons weapon handling in ArmA has been so weird...Nice find arktan! smile_o.gif

There are some issues with binarizing and normal maps. The normals are not showing for some reason after I binarize. There is also still the issue with the 5tTruck gunner view. Those are the only two issues remaining.

It's good to see you around rg7621. It's great to know you got this issue in your hands. I agree with your fewer releases thought, it definitely worked well with TrueView thus far. The only problem becomes the "trolling for updates/release date" posts that tend to accompany that approach. wink_o.gif

I look forward to your newest work post-patch 1.12 Final.