Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Grainy LOD and Object Skew?

So I'm trying to wrap my head around modeling/texturing because I want to make a few simple structures like walls etc.

I've had a look at the BIS sample model walls and tried to replicate everything as much as possible, but I'm having two problems.

1) When my model draws at distance the LOD seems to get really grainy, like this:

wallbuggyns8.jpg

What could be causing this?

2) How do I make the model skew to the terrain angle?

If somebody would like to check it out, here's the model:

LINK (121kb)

Please point out any other silly newbie mistake I've made too.

Thanks.

Quote[/b] ]What could be causing this?

maybe a lod issue....

Quote[/b] ]2) How do I make the model skew to the terrain angle?
cant remember, written somewhere in the arma editing forum

one thing i notice is you need to break each face of the block into seperate elements. in o2 that means sharp edges

1) weird problem. model seems to be ok. you could try to use quads instead of trigs and you could try to use exact UV coords

2) -select all points

- goto point properties

- surface->Keep Height (maybe on surface works too)

Okay thanks for the replies, seems like I've been able to remove the grainy look, but I still can't get the model to skew after the terrain. Any other ideas?

PIC

-edit-

Also..

I have replicated all properties in each LOD to the same as a BIS wall I know skews after the terrain.

keep height didnt work? weird. huh.gif

keep height didnt work? weird. huh.gif

Nope crazy_o.gif

What was the texture problem?

Eh, well I don't have the terminology completely down, but first I discovered some old UV map in the non res LODs which I removed, but the problem persisted. So then I tried to snap most vertices of smaller surfaces on top of the bigger ones (stacking??) so that to my knowledge all normals in the UV should be straight and the problem seems to have gone away. Still, I don't know why my model isn't skewing to the terrain.

Oh, and How do I use exact UV coordinates? I'm not completely sure I understand what that even means.

-edit-

Alright, problem solved thanks to LinkerSplit. biggrin_o.gif

Seems like I needed with two vertices at ground level in the landcontact LOD to get it working.