Sign in to follow this  
laggy

Am I overheating my GPU?

Hi all.

Quick question. I have this system:

Intel core duo (2*3ghz)

3 gb ram

Nvidia 8800 GTX (768MB)

Should I be able to run ArmA with everything on highest settings and a viewdistance of 3000 m, without problems?

I have never experienced any lag (even when deliberatly pushing the limits), but my GPU crashes a little bit to often. I have the latest drivers from Nvidia and 1.09 beta patch. Also QG.

Laggy

Well, I don't have a remote thermal sensor at your GTX so until you post your temperatures idle and under load (preferably before the crash - use nTune or other software for logging these) no one can answer you. I would also suggest to underclock the graphics card to lower the general temperature and see if the crashes persist.

I have the same specs, 3.2 D, 8800gtx but 2 gigs of ram and I can play with all settings on maximum (resolution 1600, 16/9) with a view distance around 1600-2000m and it may get a bit laggy when there is a lot going on.

Usually, during big operations, I prefer to have all settings on normal cause it smooths things out ever when all hell breaks loose, and still looks decent.

So back to your question.

Our only difference is the ram. I remember reading something about ram problems and Arma. It seems when you have a lot of ram something reports something wrong back to your graphics card and your pc thinks it has less memory? Something like that.

And there is a certain parameter you have to config yourself. Something like maxmem? Damn I can't remember the exact thing... sorry.

Try to lower the view distance to see if it makes things better.

Also, just as a precaution, because it happened to me when I bought my 8800gtx. Make sure you have connected both internal power connections to your card. When I got mine I connected only one cable (hey I didn't know it needs two) and the card worked but lagged like hell.

That's all I can think of now...

hi laggy.

you should be able to run arma with everything on max. I can run arma on max and i have a core2quad 2.4Ghz, 8800GTS 640MB.

I think it's the drivers that you may be using. After a FRESH INSTALL of WindowsXP Pro and associated drivers, I decided to upgrade my old, non-problematic drivers to 169.21's, and whalla, I had artifacting all over the place in arma. The same kind of artifacting that appears like your card is overheating. Given my history with ARMA I knew to reinstall the old drivers. I'm using 162.15's and the artifacting has gone away.

If you're running XP, that might help you. If you're running Vista, maybe someone else can help ya out. smile_o.gif

Good luck

Hi again.

I am running vista and things got more stable with 1.09 beta. The thing is that my GPU "stops answering" not because I'm pushing its limits (all on max settings, 20 groups in Corazol including 4 helicopters, 3000 viewdistance works great) but rather when it "feels" like doing it, even with just a couple of units in the desert part of Sahrani.

Thanks.

Laggy

Do you have a proper case? With high end GPU's it's very important to have a case that properly channels the air over the GPU's to help cool them or thermal issues will occur.