Sign in to follow this  
TrunkzJr

Up close combat

This game is about realism. Well I notice that when i'm in a fire fight, and I end up running out of bullets even taking them off friends bodies, it's pretty much The End. Once I run out, i have no choice but to just walk out and just have myself shot. I would at least like to be able to run at one of them before I die, rather then just feel hopelessness.

I'm sure in Iraq and other places in the world, everyone carries at least a knife, or have hand to hand combat training, something to use besides bullets... I know it would be rare to end up running out all the time in fire fights, but really it should be apart of the realism. Instead of them putting a gun on the back with that animation, just reach towards your waist or leg and pull out a knife type of animation.

If they can add a watch or a compass, I don't see why they can't add a knife at least, even if it never gets used just like a watch or a compass...

I never approach enemies in Arma close enough that a knife could prove its self useful but I too, wouldn't mind being able to do it if the situation arises.

I would prefer a cutthroat animation though, rather than one that slashes and thrusts whenever you press the button.

When you approach an unaware enemy from behind, an option appears on your menu like [backstab] provided that you have a knife in your gear. Pressing it grabs the enemy, knifes him hard and gently puts him down on the ground.

It would be really nice for Black Ops kind of missions.

never gets used just like a watch or a compass...

Hey hey hey! I use those both all the time. Well, watch mainly at the beginning of a mission to be sure what time it is (so I know if darkness/daylight will be approaching soon), but I couldn't survive without a compass. Or I could use the sun or the stars to find directions... not. whistle.gifwink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]This game is about realism. Well I notice that when i'm in a fire fight, and I end up running out of bullets even taking them off friends bodies, it's pretty much The End. Once I run out, i have no choice but to just walk out and just have myself shot. I would at least like to be able to run at one of them before I die, rather then just feel hopelessness.

The only unrealistic part of this is your reaction to running dry. Usually, when out of ammunition, one disengages from combat. It's a much more realistic course of action than calling it "the end" and walking out to get shot, as you put it.

Generally, when you can't make the weapon in your hands go bang-bang anymore, you're combat ineffective. ArmA already simulates this nicely.

Or hey, who knows, maybe you just need to carry more magazines and fewer hand grenades, satchels, and AT rockets.

Or hey, who knows, maybe you just need to carry more magazines and fewer hand grenades, satchels, and AT rockets.

ur such a n00b! how do u expect to pwn Evo without your bow that fires explosive-tipped arrows, huh? l4m3. u shud be throwing ur body at the nme when u r dry.

Edit: Seriously, though, TrunkzJr, do you like the way knives/bayonets work in other games (such as Red Orchestra or CS)? IMHO, hand-to-hand always feels really clunky in FPSs; if you run out of ammo, it's rare that you *have* to fight. Shouldn't you be thinking about tactical withdrawal long before you get to your last mag?

ur such a n00b! how do u expect to pwn Evo without your bow that fires explosive-tipped arrows, huh? l4m3. u shud be throwing ur body at the nme when u r dry.

Edit: Seriously, though, TrunkzJr, do you like the way knives/bayonets work in other games (such as Red Orchestra or CS)? IMHO, hand-to-hand always feels really clunky in FPSs; if you run out of ammo, it's rare that you *have* to fight. Shouldn't you be thinking about tactical withdrawal long before you get to your last mag?

in real combat a knive... but for the spec op/civilian scene of arma, knives could be great...

If we're talking about realism, I sincerely doubt that any engagements in modern combat (post-Korean war), even SpecOps engagements, have resulted in the use of a knife.

I could be wrong, but I just don't think it happens.

Edit: Welp, after discussing it with my colleagues, it seems I'm wrong, but not by much. They seem to be cramplastically rare. In any case, time spent on this feature would be better spent elsewhere.

Look behind you Lor!

I would work really well in stealth missions, so don't forget about them.

I wonder how the knives would work... In Oblivion and Condemned they just have the "overlayed" animated and you must have the target in the center of the screen, even though the knife slashes almost 180 degrees. (Hopefully that makes sense)

In Arma, though, the guns work realistically, where the bullet actually comes from the barrel and not just down the center of the screen.

Quote[/b] ]but not by much
for sure, cant take out ur knive everydays... its just in case of ... no more ammo, or sleeping ennemies, or an anim for video/mission makers,
Quote[/b] ]In any case, time spent on this feature would be better spent elsewhere

could say that for everything

In ArmA u cannot approch an enemy more than 10m cause the AI is like this and they ll "hear" u.

CyDoN but you can be in position before and wait - it's all about good preparation and timing. Unless AI switches to x-ray eyes. biggrin_o.gif

Imho melee combat is no main objective in OFP/ArmA world only "nice to have" feature.

Sorry when you say move out and get away, I am usually in a house and their all outside the house just waiting for me to walk out lol thus I cannot get away, but some of them were at the side of the door, i could knife one it I charged. I know you can't get too close to enemy in ArmA but maybe in ArmAII you could.

I know in some FPS games it feels chunky, but in some it's actually nice (Not CoD4 cause it sucks you into the person, and BF2 its a butter knife fight).

"it's all about good preparation and timing" yep like placing satchel under a shilka at night, but if u come by behind, no run, only walk, can be done, once every 3/4 attemps (i know you dont get that IRL...)

knives/fists/kicks could also add a new dimension to 'escaping prisoner' type missions...

You're missing the point: as marginal as a rudimentary close-combat system would be for the main campaign and the large majority of mods created for ArmA 2, and as clunky and unrealistic it might feel by default, the real potential lies in mods.

Lasersabres, 18th-century bayonets, and medieval sword fighting are only some of the opportunities. What of bears, wolves and zombies with really sharp teeth? Or what of modding in a close combat "weapon" that works like "pick up", or "use", or "knock unconscious"?

Basically, the ability for the ENGINE to model any kind of close combat would be an incredible boon for the modding community, and certainly increase the lifetime and lessen the frustration of those brave teams out there that try to bring something unique and special into existence.

So : a really good idea!

Regards,

Wolfrug

You're missing the point: as marginal as a rudimentary close-combat system would be for the main campaign and the large majority of mods created for ArmA 2, and as clunky and unrealistic it might feel by default, the real potential lies in mods.

Lasersabres, 18th-century bayonets, and medieval sword fighting are only some of the opportunities. What of bears, wolves and zombies with really sharp teeth? Or what of modding in a close combat "weapon" that works like "pick up", or "use", or "knock unconscious"?

Basically, the ability for the ENGINE to model any kind of close combat would be an incredible boon for the modding community, and certainly increase the lifetime and lessen the frustration of those brave teams out there that try to bring something unique and special into existence.

So : a really good idea!

Regards,

Wolfrug

I agree 200%

an hand to hand combat system implemented on the engine (even if not used on the retail campaigns or retail missions), would break a huge wall several mods have gone against, as so far they are trying to use scripted workarounds against this severe limitation for their mod concepts.

Why people want to strict this game to cover only hand held weapons and thatfore limit of possibilities to operate in combat. Of course game should be made this feature on sight of realism that you have almost zero changes with knive when you are chased but you should have the advantage to surprise of guards from behind.