Sign in to follow this  
Ninjablade

Tackle?

What if you ran out of bullets? Trying to tackle your enemy as they come around a corner is very realistic. Maybe even with a knife or something. I have never seen a game where a man runs out of bullets and tries to take an enemy to the ground and then fight them.

What if you ran out of bullets? Trying to tackle your enemy as they come around a corner is very realistic. Maybe even with a knife or something. I have never seen a game where a man runs out of bullets and tries to take an enemy to the ground and then fight them.

So basically you want street fighter 2 integrated into arma? What I'm saying is.. so you've tackled him, now what? You have some kind of struggle fighting system? Most fighting games don't do a very good job of portraying fighting, nevermind shooting games!

Something like this is a really good idea if done correctly. When fighting for your life the tussle is going to be brutal, which would add a very shocking aspect to the game. It shouldn't be like a film where both people stand facing each other- tackling with vicious tearing, biting, punching is what happens when your life is on the line.

Or alternatively an option to use your weapon to strike your enemy, or to Fix bayonetts

How about just a simple knife attack? A knife could be added as loadout option or something.

How about just a simple knife attack? A knife could be added as loadout option or something.

strokegun/strokefist like in OFP would be more useful, when someone is right in your face its easier to just bash his skull in with whatever is in your hands then dropping your weapon, pulling out your knife and then stabbing him. wink_o.gif

What if you ran out of bullets?

Then you are supposed to RUN AWAY.

wink_o.gif

Really. If you run out of bullets, the last thing you want to do is approach the enemy. While that might work if your enemy was alone, in most cases he isn't. So even if you took him down his buddies would make you Swiss cheese.

The only exception would be if your first name was Chuck and last name Norris.

Something like this is a really good idea if done correctly. When fighting for your life the tussle is going to be brutal, which would add a very shocking aspect to the game. It shouldn't be like a film where both people stand facing each other- tackling with vicious tearing, biting, punching is what happens when your life is on the line.

Exactly. Whos going to slash someone with a knife standing up? Thats insane. Taking them to the ground is the way to go. Its a great idea but I doubt that it will ever be done correctly.

Yeah, in addition if you have been surprised by a few enemies and you run out of bullets on your current magazine as an enemy walks round the corner, you're not going to run and reload, you're likely to try and floor them with a tackle in case they shoot you. Getting a knife out is absurd, really.

Quote[/b] ]Its a great idea but I doubt that it will ever be done correctly.

Never say never wink_o.gif , but yes I agree that it won't be done for a long time. For now a rifle-butt to the face would be fine as more important things can be done for the game.

Still, any chance to show the brutality of warfare should be taken on in a realistic game. Just look at 'Saving Private Ryan', I know it's a film but when two opposing soldiers run out of ammo, they throw their helmets at each other then try to get out their pistols as quick as possible- desperation is what we need to see.

Quote[/b] ]Really. If you run out of bullets, the last thing you want to do is approach the enemy

what if 1 vs 1 and the enemy run out of bullets too... both run away from each other rofl.gif need something to kill him pistols.gif

I don't know what kind of action-movie missions you guys are playing where you regularly run out of ammo and then wish you could lie in wait for the enemy rather than, you know, go find more ammo, but even if your melee functionality of choice was in ArmA 2, it would still be extremely stupid to attempt any sort of engagement with a weapon whose maximum effective range is "arm's length."

I said it in the other melee thread: if you are not holding something that is able to go "bang bang," you're in a bad way and need to disengage. Forget knifing, forget bayonetting, forget struggling valiantly with the enemy as the orchestral score swells. Find some ammo, put it in your weapon, and fire it, and if you can't do that, then get out of there.

Obviously you're right and it's a total impossibility that hand-to-hand fighting would occur. Thank you for enlightening me.

Quote[/b] ]I don't know what kind of action-movie missions you guys are playing where you regularly run out of ammo

hours ones...

Obviously you're right and it's a total impossibility that hand-to-hand fighting would occur. Thank you for enlightening me.

How can I be right about that when I never made such a claim? The word "impossible" occurs nowhere in this thread, much less in my post. Stop countering things you wish I had said and focus on the argument I'm actually presenting: to avoid disengaging from combat just because there is a non-zero chance of you killing someone is colossally stupid. It's just plain the wrong mindset to have. Waiting until you're completely out of ammo to disengage is even worse, as all the scenarios presented thus far have as a factor.

Quote[/b] ]hours ones...

I'm going to assume that, by this two-word post, you mean missions that span many hours. Will you suddenly be able to accomplish a mission of great length where you could not before because you had a knife on you? Do you run dry after 90 minutes, say "oh, if only I could punch people, I'd be able to finish the last hour of this mission," and then quit? I bet not. I bet you search for ammo, don't you? Well, great! That's what you're supposed to be doing. Don't let the possibility that you could knee someone in the groin stop you from doing it.

"and then quit"

nope, and then die...

"I bet you search for ammo, don't you?"

no ammo for the specific gun i have ... (i kill people with ak, pkm...)

i prefer keep my weap, his accessories, ammo, recoil... so no, no more ammo, still want a knife pistols.gif cuz even if i die, i want try to stab the last "bastard"

i think we dont play same missions, maybe a knife is useless in yours...

What I have in mind is the inevitably small towns in ArmA2. I often, when surprised by the enemy in ArmA, run out of ammo on my current magazine with an enemy within 10 feet and wish I could run up to him and perhaps tackle him instead of being helpless. It's a real immersion killer. In ArmA, in towns the combat is often within a hundred metres, and since the buildings are largely unenterable unarmed combat could happen a lot.

In the end there are hundreds of different situations a soldier could be in, and tackling is hardly difficult to imagine. I've seen stories of hand-to-hand combat in Iraq and Afghanistan (less so in the latter).

i am sure u choose the wrong game.

1. If u approch the enemy you ll just get killed.

2. Have u ever tried to beat up someone with war gear on him? u think u can punch him to the stomach or to the head?

3. How old are u?

4. We are talking about a military simulator not mortal kombat.

5. You are talking about realism, who would have THAT courage to go approch the enemies and start punching them?

whatever everybody posts tons of things in this forums. thats the bad thing instead of helping and giving ideas u just want a new sahrani life.

Id say take your backpack with extra ammo else you better not be there.

I agree with Sabre_UK, this is a situation where something is better than nothing. I've had many situations using SLX mod in both OFP and ARMA where while hidden in a bush,shed etc. my trusty knife has gotten me out of some real bad situations while outta ammo and squaddies to back me up.

This might not be ideal realism, you would need to incorporate a full-on grappling/striking system which would be just weird in a FPS format, but it's better than absolutely no option but to die when ammo runs out.

This topic remind me one scene in Desperado. When Banderas was gunfighting with clerk in the pub.

I think its good idea to have other ways to kill enemy than only firing. Most useful is bayonet or knife, because bashing isn't eliminating enemy forever in reality. It would be nice to have some kind of unconcius state simulation (in SP time would elapse faster, screen would be blackouted or there could be some kind of dreaming etc.) but it is too much to have in one game smile_o.gif

I think that no man would use these methods in battle. Its possible to use in recon missions as the silentest way of killing (shooting even with SD weapons make too much noise).

What if you ran out of bullets?

Then you are supposed to RUN AWAY.

wink_o.gif

Really. If you run out of bullets, the last thing you want to do is approach the enemy. While that might work if your enemy was alone, in most cases he isn't. So even if you took him down his buddies would make you Swiss cheese.

The only exception would be if your first name was Chuck and last name Norris.

Or you have a bayonet attached and there is no other way out biggrin_o.gif Emptied your bolt rifle and now your there standing, you can run all you want but you wont outrun a bullet tounge2.gif

There isnt really telling what anyone would do, everyone reacts different. Still, how much uses would this get? I'd rather run away and find some corpse to loot.

- If you have no ammo left

- If you cannot run away (to find ammo or to escape)

- If you are in mortal danger

surr1.gif

It would not be a coward to surrender, actually I don't see other efficient way to spare your life.

But I don't think this kind of suggestion could be implemented in ArmA2.

i think being able to melee attack is a good idea because it could be a way of improving CQB and stealth and could also allow people to have a knife only deathmach for fun. however it would have to be difficult to get close enough; in the original OFP i didn't often get close enough but when i did it would have been handy, just as the ability to use some kind of stickybomb would have been handy when i managed to sneak up behing a tank.

You open up threads like this just for fun? This is hardly gonna happen, and i'd prefer NOT to have melee weapons at all, rather than turning this in CS knife system.

You really need to understand what are the priorities for a game developer, and making new animations and configs just to fit your Hollywood ideas about a realistic stealth system is something close to utopia.

Regarding bayonets, do you even remember the last time a real army has used something like that?