Sign in to follow this  
Sheps

Prince Harry IS in Afganistan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7269743.stm

If anyone remembers ages ago when there was this big debate about if Prince Harry should be sent to Afghanistan or not, well the top brass decided against it as it would bring unwanted attention to his unit.

So wtf has changed since? Turns out he's been in Helmand for the past 10 weeks, so now all the fuckers in Helmand are going to flooding over into the place more then usual, good job guys!

Using the old tactic of the carrot and the bat, in which the Prince is definitely the carrot and not the bat, I suppose...

no... the debate was whether or not to send him to Iraq, which they didn't because every bloody paper in the world reported on, thus making it dangerous for both him and his comrades.

If they could do it in secret, and thus prevent anyone from planning any sort of attack on him, then they'd send him. Which they obviously did. It only brings unwanted attention and danger when the world knows about it. Which they didn't for ten weeks.

Good on him. He's a credit to his family.

Just seen it on CNN and think it´s a good decision from him.

Although he´s not a real politician, more of the higher class guys should follow his example - personally being involved in the wars that they declare.

Thumbs up for the bullet magnet thumbs-up.gif

Our (Netherlands) royals just get their uniforms/rank when they're born, I have great respect for him for choosing to do this.

Hope he and his mates come back safely.

The media are a complete & utter bunch of idiots. I'm reading stuff now on how it was right to expose this because he's in danger, and he's putting the men around him into extra danger etc. Well the entire idea of not exposing it was so that he could do his job as an ordinary officer, being no more or less different to any other officer in the British Army. By reporting this, the media have really outdone themselves this time, actually placing both Prince Harry, and the people around him, into more danger, then justifying themselves by blaming this very danger that they've added on the Army.

A fine case of them not letting common sense get in the way of a good story.

Fucking way to go, Western News outlets. /sarcasm.

mad_o.gif

Hats off to him, wondered why there were no booze-up pics in the paper recently. I just spammed them w*nkers drudge with afew pissy emails for further jeapordising the safety of our future King and the lads serving with him.

It reminds me of the time where royal countries leaders had guts and always went in war with their troop (and sometime dying with them) instead of declaring war and staying on their office in their capital.... At least they really engaged their responsability for their decision by their own life.

My hats off to him.

On another side, i find really awesome how some media can put people lives in such heavy danger without even thinking a single second out of the "scoop" thing.

Even someone with half an intelligence would clearly see that this guy would then be the target no1 for its potential hostage value, getting hostage for money being the national sport in this country, making every people around him in an increased danger zone.

At least they have not revealed this guy exact location or his next days deploy zones ?

lol like wtf?! Hehe awesome in some way, reminds me of the action movie independence day where the us president sits down in a F-18 to fight with his troops against the evil aliens biggrin_o.gif

Point is they shouldn't have said anything. Idiots. Good luck to him and his comrades.

The media are a complete & utter bunch of idiots. I'm reading stuff now on how it was right to expose this because he's in danger, and he's putting the men around him into extra danger etc. Well the entire idea of not exposing it was so that he could do his job as an ordinary officer, being no more or less different to any other officer in the British Army. By reporting this, the media have really outdone themselves this time, actually placing both Prince Harry, and the people around him, into more danger, then justifying themselves by blaming this very danger that they've added on the Army.

A fine case of them not letting common sense get in the way of a good story.

Fucking way to go, Western News outlets. /sarcasm.

mad_o.gif

My thoughts exactly.

Nice to see him serve though, I find it wierd to see royality serve, as they mostly avoid it.

Reminds me of Henry V, granted that might be because he's called Henry, has red hair and is currently fighting in the Army...

Once more unto the breach and all that.

Got to hate the Modern press though, they do know there's a War going on?  mad_o.gif

jeapordising the safety of our future King and the lads serving with him.

Do you know something the rest of us don't? wink_o.gif

My thoughts exactly.

Nice to see him serve though, I find it wierd to see royality serve, as they mostly avoid it.

Huh? The British Royal Family has an exemplary service record:

HM The Queen was a driver/mechanic in WW2.

Prince Philip was in the Royal Navy in WW2 earning a Greek War Cross of Valour and was MiD.

Prince Charles was a fast jet and rotary wing pilot serving in both the RAF and the RN.

Prince William is currently in the RAF and was a Cornet in the Household Cavalry.

Prince Andrew was a rotary wing pilot in the RN and flew as chaff in the Falklands war. He was a career Officer, serving for 22 years.

Prince Edward had a short lived career as one of the chosen few but failed his training.

The Duke of Kent was a career Officer in the Army, serving 21 years.

Prince Michael of Kent served 20 years in the Army and is curently President of SSAFA.

George VI served in the RN in WW1 and the RAF at its inception.

George V served 14 years in the RN.

Almost all the Royals have honourary appointments across the Commonwealth that they take very seriously and a good slice of the senior positions in Armed Forces charities are held by Royals.

I'd take any of the first family over the cowards in the Houses of Parliament any day.

And a pox in both New Idea and Drudge.

Drudge does whatever drudge does. Given the amount of info all the British media immediately dumped in response, it's clear part of the bargain was that they got lots of coverage, just it was understood by a gentleman's agreement to keep it under wraps until the unit rotated back. Far enough, despite politics some folks still have decency.

Whoever leaked it though should be air-dropped into the middle of Afghanistan with a sign around around his neck saying "I am an infidel pig" and left with 3 days rations of water and hard tack.

At the end of the day, this country is run by the government, the Royal Family are just people who, for some strange reason, get rich off of the taxes of the British people.

I mean, at the end of the day, if he dies our country won't drop dead, i mean i could understand if the entire labour party joined the Infantry.

And i totally agree with the guys commenting back on the ye olde days when KINGS and other royals would go to battle, but heres the difference, when our royals went to war, they did so only ever in a time of desperate need, well our kings anyway, our kings would only ever go to war if our lands were ever in danger, i mean sure princes would go all around the world and what not, but today its different, our guys are out there nearly everyday for months at a time.

Plus this war is a joke, I'm all for supporting your men out there, but he was selfish and idiotic in his decision to go out there, as hes putting our men in danger fighting in a war thats unjustifiable, i could understand if the Germans were invading again, but he went over there to shoot at villagers with AK47's who are doing no more then protecting there land, whats the bloody point? Thats the main reason i never joined the army even though it was my plan since i was 13, hell no am i going to risk my life for crap pay, dodgey equipment fighting a BS war when there are much more justifiable locations to "liberate" (Zimbabwe for one)

Sheps I cannot begin to tell you how wrong you are about the British Army, our mission in Afganistan, the kit, etc. You say about supporting our men, but....anyway...

...just consider this. Was he or his men any more or less at risk during the period nobody knew he was there, than any other British Army unit? Unlikely. Thanks to the media that's changed and it seems likely he's going to be withdrawn as a result. Both the Army and Harry himself seem to recognise the harsh fact that he will become a target. The thing is though, even if thats the case, if the enemy get up close enough to recognise him, then he's already in the shit regardless of being targetted or not.

All currently and ex forces people i've seen voice an opinion have spoken highly of his decision to go out there, and seem to have nothing but respect that in this day and age, he's willing to go out and do it. I think it means alot to the blokes on the ground that someone like him, who could do anything he liked, is willing to go out and do a job like this. Like myself many share the opinion that his presense per se is not putting the people around him at risk. But the media reporting his location and raising the profile, etc, is.

Edit: And judging by your estimate of what the War in ganners is all about, you seem to be very insultated from the reality the British Army is facing over there. Farmers don't have RPGs, Mortars or 50 cal. Infact, if you haven't done so already, I direct your attention here:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=71890

An afterthought, but quite an important one:

Ultimately the Queen commands the Army. Thats where our chain of command goes and all swear allegience to the Crown when we join. That the Queen will allow her own grandson to go and and do the job is a fantastic gesture if nothing else. I mean, you don't see any of our politicians sons going out there, do you? So it's nice to see that those who ultimately send us to war (and war cannot be declared w/o the Queens say so, if i recall correctly) willing to place thier own flesh and blood in harms way, and not just the "common folk" as it were. It means alot.

Hmm, something just crossed my mind, I wonder if it's the media doing a payback with the publication of this story? I mean, I don't recall right now atm any brit journalist being mishandled by the army or something, I mean, the biggest burden right now is falling upon those also responsible for the prince's protection...

And Sheps, your argument of him fighting a senseless war I could rebuke just as well, because you said you'd understand it if it were Germany - well taking into account your justification, Germany has never invaded England, so even if it were Germany and it would be like in the past, it would be England meddling in affairs that don't concern it's homeland borders, so stuff it... It's not like England hasn't been attacked by muslim terrorists, you know? England has to do it's share to fight off terrorists like practically every nation is doing, people from the UK also died in 9/11 if you wouldn't know, if I were from the UK I'd say they also would deserve their revenge - or that their death would at least be followed up by an effort to make sure that it would never happen again - but you saying that "if it Germans"... I must say as half-german I feel offended and in the obligation to remind you that we're the European Union now, if you haven't noticed...

Germany Invaded Jersey.

And how productive is it to be in that country? A lot of the Muhadjadeen were farmers or general workers before the invasion, its not just the professional soldiers of the Taliban anymore, everyday they get stronger by recruiting from the villages.

And if a militiaman is ever close enough to see prince Harry, he'd already be dead, check alot of the footage coming out of Afghanistan, most the combat is fought at a distance double football fields.

England was attacked by Englishmen, with no affiliation to any other country but Britain, you can't fight a religion, and i believe those blokes blew themselves up because we invaded Iraq and Afghanistan, so it was a reprise if anything.

Talking about the Germans had nothing to do with Germans, it was about a country that had invaded multiple countries and repeatedly bombs our cities to dust.

Either way, when we leave the Middle East, it will be all for no reason because I'm damn sure the Taliban has grown double since we attacked their countries and I'm pretty sure we aren't going to want to stick around for the centuries it would take to wipe out every Middle Eastern Muhadjadeen intent on protecting their countries from invaders.

And if a militiaman is ever close enough to see prince Harry, he'd already be dead, check alot of the footage coming out of Afghanistan, most the combat is fought at a distance double football fields.

Wow, you just made my point again for me. Thanks....

All the photos I've seen of him seem to be him modelling. Which kind of disgusts me a bit. Like the one where hes resting with his combat uniform off and hes looking off into the distance. Other then that, hes a brave man to do that I salute him.

Not really, because either way it was going to get out where he was...

Not to mention there are tonnes of Taliban informants.

Plus this war is a joke, I'm all for supporting your men out there, but he was selfish and idiotic in his decision to go out there, as hes putting our men in danger fighting in a war thats unjustifiable

Either way, when we leave the Middle East, it will be all for no reason

He's an officer in The British Army, doing the job he chose to. Selfish and idiotic? I don't think so.

And tell the families and oppos of the lads and lasses that have died it was all for no reason, please.

As for the 7/7 bombers, they obviously had a closer affiliation with a couple of countries other than Britain, or they'd have no reason to carry out a "reprisal", as you put it.

I've just seen in the news like 10 min ago that he's going back home because the media just told everybody in the world he's in Helmand.

Aye, it's been posted on the MoD website that he has to come back early.

http://www.mod.uk/Defence....ome.htm

Understandable, the media have gone and placed every Brit serving in Helmand at an increased risk after shitting on Harry's PERSEC.

Hope they're happy, the poor lad must be pretty pissed off.

Was good to know that he had the opportunity to serve the same as every other bloke in our forces, and it's a shame he's unable to carry on doing that.

I don't think the Army or Royals are really "surprised" by this media discovery. Maybe it's only a marketing trick maybe his Afghanistan service had to end now or in next month? We don't know what's behind but we shouldn't be that excited like some reporter. wink_o.gif