Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

The Airborne Invasion of North Sahrani

It's been a long time coming, but I finally wrote a new after-action review of an ArmA experience for my site. This one deals with a night paradrop into North Sahrani by a group of ~50 ShackTac members, sans NVGs and radios, against an overwhelming force of SLA. Many interesting gameplay mechanics were in play - the most interesting to me was the use of only "Direct Speaking" VON and signal flares for coordination. No "radio" communication methods - ie Teamspeak - were used.

I think the end result was brilliant, and the story of what happened should be an interesting read for many.

You can find the article, complete with screens and video, here:

http://dslyecxi.com/articles/arma_airborne.html

Great stuff, I'll read your AAR in the afternoon.

We have a lot of debriefings from our MP squadnights but unluckly most of them are in our native language (Slovenian).

Very nice Dslyecxi, an enjoyable read. Would love to try out something like that; it looked like a cracker of a mission.

Very Very Nice indeed. I like the realism. It would be like sending a jeep up the road to send a message from 1st platoon to second platoon.

That Map Option looks awesome that when he starts to run you loose it.

I just hope with the new patch that the bug for some people that VON crashes there game with the direct sound things is fixed as that looks awesome.

Sounds good, the map feature is particulary interesting, is it available out there? smile_o.gif .

It was intended as a proof-of-concept for the ACE mod. We're still deciding how exactly to best implement similar functionality in ACE.

Are you going to run this again? Your write up is great and I'd really like to be involved with something like that (if you wouldn't mind).

Remember, folks, there were about fifty players taking part in this mission, so even the people mentioned by name account for only a small fraction of everything that was going on at once across North Sahrani.

For instance, I never saw Dslyecxi nor was I a part of anything mentioned in the account, but I was there, along with many many others. If you took the personal accounts of everyone who participated and sewed them together into one narrative, you'd have quite a hefty read on your hands.

The coolest thing is seeing how all the stories intersect.

Around the time of the "Contact Front" section, a 3-man group of us were were engaging mixed infantry and light vehicles from a house.

Another members AAR mentions hearing an explosion from the fuel dump objective. That was the same 3-man group.

Very well written, had me on my seat.  I wonder how the other squads fared in the end. smile_o.gif

I look forward to reading more in the future, should you get the time to write them up.

Wow. Brilliant story. As Bracken said, you had me on the edge of my seat.

The mission idea is great too.

Great mission idea and AAR!! Would be great to join in! To bad that you uses crosshair, is it ok to use a mod that disables it for me?

Great mission idea and AAR!! Would be great to join in! To bad that you uses crosshair, is it ok to use a mod that disables it for me?

It's not a public server, you don't have to worry about it. wink_o.gif

Shack tac AAR is always a interesting read.

Can i ask why you cover up the chat window in your videos?

Can i ask why you cover up the chat window in your videos?

There was an administrative discussion happening in the start of one of the videos, so I blacked it out to prevent distraction.