Sign in to follow this  
walker

Earthquake in UK Epicentre near Hull

Measured 4.9, which is VERY large for the UK.

I was playing some Hidden & Dangerous 2, an artillery barrage in fact. "Hmm now that IS realistic." biggrin_o.gif

The above reminds me of a friend living in the Caribbean who was flying a combat sim during a hurricane... Force Feedback to the max! biggrin_o.gif

But, seriously, woah! What's going on in here? Just last week we got a magnitude 6 EQ in Nevada, and just few days ago I saw a report of an EQ in Germany (which was mining related tho'wink_o.gif... wtf?

Yeah i'd just fallen asleep and it woke me up, sounded and felt like a herd of elephants was rolling down my roof, scared the shit outta me! crazy_o.gif

Lol, was playing Doom 3, headphones w/ vibrate built in, screen shaking all over the place anyway, didn't notice a thing.

Yeah supposedly alot of England felt it, I didn't feel a thing here in sleepy Kent....

From Cambridge and was sound asleep on the creakiest bed in England...earthquake? its not an earthquake if it doesnt wake me up! biggrin_o.gif

Yeah we were all gaming on TS when suddenly the UK guys all start yelling and swearing. LOL One said his monitors where about to jump off his desk and he was really freaked out. You could tell something big just happened. They were really rattled.

From Cambridge and was sound asleep on the creakiest bed in England...earthquake? its not an earthquake if it doesnt wake me up! biggrin_o.gif

I'm in Cambridge, my house was warping.

Lol, was playing Doom 3, headphones w/ vibrate built in, screen shaking all over the place anyway, didn't notice a thing.

Lol.

I was way too far up north to feel anything. England seems to have had quite a few stuff thrown at recently. Secret weapon deployed by the Cornish National Liberation Army perhaps?

I felt it in Wigan. Actually, I thought it was my dad being pissed and falling up the stairs on his way to bed, but it seems I was wrong.

I personally cannot believe the fuss the media is making.

Let me quote the headline on the evening standard tonite in london.

"London ROCKED"

What a load of ********* we get a little shake and we all think we have earned a medal for surviving an earthquake. Which on the world scale of things was nothign more than a burp.. What ever happened to this nation! biggrin_o.gif

Hi all

As promissed that addendum to my first post.

Like I said I had not long gone to bed when I heard the rumble which at first I thought was a train but it soon got too loud to be that, then the house started to shake and sway, I thought the house was falling down, my mind went through all the doomsday scenarios in about half a second: mine subsidence? earthquake? meteor strike? WWIII? And Back to EARTHQUAKE! I was being rolled around in bed, like some really serious amusement ride.

I manage to turn on the bedside lamp then staggered to the door your supposed to shield yourself under a door jam or desk I remembered from all those Californian quake movies. As I got there it stopped and died down to just sound.

One of my brothers was sleeping on the sofa downstairs, I shouted down to him "Are you OK? That was an Earthquake" he said yes. Outside people were on the street checking their roofs and chimneys even old ladies out in their nighties.

The whole thing for me lasted a little over 10 seconds 2 seconds of Rumbling sound like a Freight train passing close then 5 seconds of severe shaking and building swaying with two distinct peaks and 3 more seconds of lesser shaking and Rumbling sound

The effect and experience seemed to vary as to where you lived but not in direct relation to your distance from the epicentre.

In Doncaster no damage, ditto Conisbrough where my parents live, but in Wombwell lots of serious damage and the only major injury of the quake a young student with a broken pelvis. I and people in Doncaster say the sound was a rumble, people in Conisbrough and Rotherham say it sounded like a strong wind and they thought is was a tornado.

Wombwell lies on the end of the same straight line from the the epicentre at Market Rasen through Doncaster then Conisbrough too Wombwell. Ditto damage was worse in Gainsborough than in the Epicentre Market Rasen.

My guess would be the kind of Rock that buildings were on altered both sound and effect. I seem to remember that was the problem in the Mexico city quake. Places that were clay and wet soil and sandstone were different from those that were on Limestone or Gritstone.

Only the second quake I have experienced in the UK last one was about 3 or 4 years ago and was a single bump. This I would describe as a proper quake.

All in all it was very British Quake, no masses of dead and demolished blocks of apartments, lots of people getting together in the street and discussing it the next day at work with half the people sleeping right through it.

Kind regards walker

Ha, a very British quake. Quite. Slept right through it. whistle.gif

Hi all

British Geological Survey info on the Feb 2008 Market Rasen Quake in PDF form

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/news/Market_Rasen_Feb_27_2008_web.pdf

includes Seismogram data which shows the quake lasted longer than I experienced, but suspect that was down to the rock I was experencing it on and what humans can percieve.

Anyone know the key to the Text at the side of each Seismogram track?

Kind regards walker

yup, felt as though my flat mates were jumping on my bed, then i looked, and the walls were like rubber. Still a very cool experience in my opinion biggrin_o.gif

As someone who lives near hull i thought it was the wind at first, though I suspected somthing else when a two metre crack appeared in my wall.

Hi all

Bearing out the things I said about variability of intensity is this intensity map from the BGS

http://www.quakes.bgs.ac.uk/latest/200802270056_map.html

You can help them get a more accurate picture by filling out this form:

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/questionnaire/EqQuestIntroA.html

This all comes from this web page

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/recent_....008.htm

Kind regards walker

I live 5 miles from the epicenter. Pity i was in Warminster on a potential infantry officer familiarisation course at the time so didnt feel a thing.