Sign in to follow this  
xawery

Scariest/Most atmospheric game

Hidden & Dangerous 1 & 2 - WW2 sneaking around. Also, the AI sneak around too. Listening to the slight scufflings & crunches as they hunt you down smile_o.gif

Doom 3 - a gun OR a torch.

AvP Marine - dark & lonely. Beeping mechanism to tell you when to be scared biggrin_o.gif

Oooh speaking of Insane Asylums :

Fahrenheit/ The Indigo Prophecies : One of the most under rated games of all time, anyone that hasn't played it i recommend it to you.

Most scariest games i've played:

No. 2 -> AvP2 - Only as Marine

Clive Barkers Undying - The manor levels were very nice.

Doom3

Blood .. I was young and it was quite a bloody game..especially those choking hands were scary:)

Trespasser =) Ok it wasn't a bugfree game but a t-rex following you (with no weapons) into a hangar was quite adrenaline packed.

Oh yeah i forgot, The Hidden mod for HL2 is kinda scary also but level design quality varies quite a bit, but there is one big indoor manor level which really is well done!

Atmospheric games:

OFP:)

No. 1 -> Deus Ex

Thief - Love the ambients sounds and sound when you pick up gold and stuff >=)

Half-life 1

May Payne

No. 3 Mafia

Divine Divinity

yay! Fun thread.

Haha, glad to hear it, although it seems some people didn't exactly read my question, or I didn't explain it well. No matter though, it's always nice to read about good games. I have to say though, of all the games mentioned Shadowrun is the only one I haven't played yet. Keep it coming!

And yes, Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy is one hell of a good game. Terribly underrated though. Apart from the unnecessary sneak-missions the game was immensly enjoyable.

Speaking of French-developed adventure games, has anyone tried The Experiment/eXperience 112 by Lexis Numérique? It has a very unique premise; I can promise you that you've never played an adventure game like this before. Try the demo: http://www.gamershell.com/news/44496.html.

Ok since the Thief and System Shock games have already been mentioned I'll go for something else.

Try playing RIVEN if you haven't. Point and click adventure that defines the term "atmospheric" in a new way.

If RIVEN is too old for you, you could give the sequel a try.

Uru.

Not as weird as riven but good enough.

Clive Barkers Undying

OFP Mission After montignac

FEAR

I have to go with Mr Burns here, Undying was the most scariest i can remember.

Atmospherically I thought Bioshock was spot on.

Other games that get a worthy mention would definately be;

OFP

Metal Gear Solid

Silent Hill

Resident Evil

Condemned

And many more smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Try playing RIVEN if you haven't.

Isn´t that the sequel to the MYST series ?

I played Myst when I was a twen but the riddles where kind of very hard for me. Still the ambience and atmosphere was very cool and the gfx were kind of revolutionary for that kind of genre at the time.

myst1.jpg

Yes it is.

Myst -> RIVEN -> URU

Riven was my favorite. It was scary at parts too. But not the BOOH! kind of scary. It was more like "I don't know where I am or what I am doing here WHAT WAS THAT NOISE?" kind of scary.

The only commendable thing about URU was that it had some of the most beautiful 3D graphics I had seen but it lacked the immersion and storyline of RIVEN.

Riven is KING.

It is also VERY HARD!

And yes, Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy is one hell of a good game. Terribly underrated though. Apart from the unnecessary sneak-missions the game was immensly enjoyable.

Whoa, I can't believe I've forgotten about that game! One of the most original games I've play.

*goes reinstalling*

Half Life 1. Since I'm arcnophobic fighting that giant spider was very scary for me. I cleary remember myself jumping left and right like a monkey while standing in front of my PC. crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Not so easy...

Alien vs Predator

Thief series

Defintely these too.

The sound effects from the movies and the breaking lights and flares.

Also a friend of mine once told me how he had been scared playing Quake.

Really scared.

What girl, I thought.  

Then the first two devil dogs jumped out at me and I fell backwards out of my chair in fright.

I also found my first space walk in one of the X games pretty scarey and atmospheric...

I'd been flying around inside a space station trying to park up next to another spaceship (and hot-wire it).

It felt so claustrophobic. Sort of like driving a mini submarine, in a very confined space, where if you bump into anything you might depressurise and die.

A feeling which got much worse when I left my spaceship and "walked" over to the adjacent parking bay.

The scariest games i ever played were Doom3 and AvP2 (as the marine) but it was mostly because of the suspense and sounds.

I dont play all that many games anymore, BIS ruined the industry confused_o.gif .

Scariest/Most atmospheric: AvP1 (as marine)

Why? The aliens hunted you through the levels, navigating through the vents. That means you couldn't pause anywhere and relax, as you always were worried an alien was going to pop up anywhere and kill you.

Most games with scripted enemies or closed environments never give me the same feeling, as I know once I have killed all scripted enemies in an area, that I can leave the PC, go eat dinner for a few hours, come back to my still living character, flip a switch on a door and immediately be attacked by newly triggered enemies. This predictability, for me, kills the suspense.

If you leave the PC while playing AvP for a few moments, you will inevitably be hunted down and killed. That's what makes the game frightening for me. smile_o.gif

this is very hard to say as i played most of games released (if no all) till like 2005-6

but i think one of most atmospheric and scary games were

Terminator : The Future Shock (one of first (or first) FPS games with mouse controlled free look)

the apocalyptic 'feeling' scary empty cities, hiding 'steel' beasts ... great music and sounds ...

Descent 1,2 (maybe 3) ... the real 3D maze feeling and sometimes very clever AI flanking you or chasing via tunels ...

Half - Life and Oposing Forces , for some reason (played on highest difficulty) the AI quality, level design, sounds, short ingame cut-scenes ... it was real masterpiece (earth part)

honorable mentions for atmosphere shivering

System Shock serie, Alone In the Dark serie, STALKER, Thief serie, Dungeon Master serie, AvP, MaxP, Doom3,Riddick and dozens others ...

tons of such games are still great smile_o.gif

and today they are replayable at best possible resolution with uber AA/AF smile_o.gif

Oh man, I still remember when i played System shock and was afraid of every shadow :P

But hell, AvP was the most "oh sh*t! i wont go to that room ! never!" game ! Those stinky aliens....gaaaaah crazy_o.gif

Adventures:

Fahrenheit - damn, the most dramatic interactive movie so far. Incredibly tense of storyline.

Pathologic - the best storytelling game. Absolutely no monsters, but atmosphere around really scares. True gothic for me.

Call of Ctulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth - OMG, the first normal game in Lovecraft universe. Very frightening, very atmospheric.

FPS:

OFP - bushes, forests, russian patrols, rain all around. Moving line of front... Anything more to add?

STALKER - although It's realisation shitty for me atmosphere in some places still one of the best I ever saw. Dark laboratory beneath industrial facilities, anomalies, snork, jumping out of dark, mind control experiments...something more?

Max Payne - really the best noire story. Avenger travelling through blizzard and night. To kill. "They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger. And

then it was all over." I'll never forget these words.

RPG:

Fallout 1\2 - sometimes it's scary, but mostly it's very mysterious. The Glow, enigmatic Necropolis with this noise soundtrack, secretive Mariposa military base. Ruins of huge cities and only one phrase of old jazz song, flying in the radioctive air:"Maybe...".

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. The best modern setting for me, brilliantly exported from famous World of Darkness tabletop RPG. Spin-round story, unique characters, their dirty secrets, their habits. Completely diffirent world of Los Angeles at night. Ah, and soundtrack...Lacuna Coil, Tiamat, Darling Violetta - great mix of gothic rock\doom metal tracks.

TES3: Morrowind. The best fantasy game. I never saw so exotic, but really incredibly considered atmosphere.

Very nice games those Scariest/Most atmospheric games like:

Resident Evil 2 - when i was searching for a key in dark room and boom zombies , almost got heart attack biggrin_o.gif

Quake/Doom - heh i remember those scaring levels or rooms , i really got the sound off to not scare biggrin_o.gif

The best atmosphere got my favourite MGS series and those old too wink_o.gif

1. Silent Hill 2 ftw (atmospheric/scarry), SH3 was nice too, but 2nd was the best

2. OFP - After Montignac (scarry in a rl way/atmospheric)

3. Mafia (atmospheric)

4. Max Payne (atmospheric)

5. AvP 2 (scarry)

6. Fahrenheit (really amospheric and quite scarry)

7. SWAT4 - Fairfax Residence mission nice vid - spoiler

8. Blair Witch Project 1: Rustin Parr (the only one I've played, and was quite scarry)

9. Morrowind (atmospheric)

10. Stalker (atmospheric)

11. Gothic 1 (worth playing, quite atmospheric)

12. Freespace (the first one was quite atmospheric)

13. Diablo 1 (well, back then...)

14. Evolva (quite atmospheric)

15. Hitman (every part had a couple of really atmospheric missions)

GR and R6 series are high on my list too.

Awwwww, lots of great games being mentioned that I've never played... honestly, despite technically loving Max Paynes and Fahrenheit, I've never played either. Only few missions for any Half-Life and Hitman, also.

Yet... I'd say OFP, AvP, GR, Hitman and Fallout are quite high on my list. Far Cry isn't that bad in times, either.

Just found AvP 1 on my HD - and tried the MP Coop mode by myself. Erm... looking for half-suicidal fellow Colonial Marines, got shredded to pieces in about 30 secs. sad_o.gif

Yeah, AvP2 is one of those games that are really scary and atmospheric, have nice plot, and stuff, bu also roxx in MP.

edit:

Don't forget the neverhood.

I've played The Suffering on PC, quite atmospheric, but not that good.

AVP2, and STALKER, Silent Hill, Alone in the Dark. have more games, but laxy to list. Also would include FEAR, not that scary, but still pretty good but not that good as AVP2 :P

The most atmospheric games Ive played would be Deus Ex or Oblivion, the scariest being FEAR. Im sure there are more scarier games than FEAR, I just havent played them biggrin_o.gif