Sign in to follow this  
sr4470

Afghanistan map using satellite data

No, don't get too excited - this is an idea. However on my own it will take a long time to make, so I was wondering if a more experienced map-maker would care to join me on such a project. smile_o.gif

Feel free to drop me ideas though.

Check this thread for Smiley_Nick's Afghanistan map created from some DEM

Download is there

Thanks for the link. I was hoping to do a large section of Eastern Afghanistan including the cities of Kabul, Bagraam and Jalallabad, with some smaller towns in between, and possibly part of the Pakistani border. Since I mention that, perhaps I should have a go at making some Afghan military units...

I'm an addonmaker current;y deployed to the Afgan AO, this intrests me, and there is Remy who createda lot of afgan and taliban units for another mod that should be still around. I have updated some of the units and in the proccess of making ANA, and ANP units while getting a little downtime.

If nobody's done a D-30 howitzer, I'll look into that as well...

I took lots of referance pics of some, one of the few times it was safe to go near em, usulay constantly firing on something daily, seen a battery of the take the top off a mountain a few times as well as get rid of bad guys once of twice for us. Along with the 82nds 105mms. That and some other arty peices left behind by the russains, there is a huge graveyard here full of Soviet hardwear from T64s to MB21s and about every arty peice know in the invintory.

I took lots of referance pics of some, one of the few times it was safe to go near em, usulay constantly firing on something daily, seen a battery of the take the top off a mountain a few times as well as get rid of bad guys once of twice for us. Along with the 82nds 105mms. That and some other arty peices left behind by the russains, there is a huge graveyard here full of Soviet hardwear from T64s to MB21s and about every arty peice know in the invintory.

Yeah, tell me about it, and now the west's hardware is joining them...

most of our stuff literly gets recovered and taken to Bagram to be rebuilt or parts salvaged. Have noticed the ANA replaced the old russain trucks with with M35A2s then international 7 ton trucks, and ford ranger pickups. They now got Humves, funny seeinga humvees with PKMs and DSHKs mounted on em. Been looking at a lotof old russain hardwear for possable modernizing and updating for use by police units. They also got the same equipment Ford rangers, international 7 tons, nissan pick ups, UAZ469s

Not sure how well this will work on my crap rig: 1.8Ghz Pentium 4, 1GB RAM, Radeon 7500 crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]T64s

NO T-64's , T-72's or T-80's were EVER ! deployed to Afghanistan by the Soviets. Also the proper designation for mb21 is BM-21 Grad Ural-375D/4320 and the current version used by the russian army is on a ural-4320 chassis and the grad's deployed in afghanistan were both on 4320 and 375d's chassis's.

Also just because devyatey rota (9th company / 9 rota) shows T-64's its inaccurate and those are Ukranian T-64BV's used in the film.

Indeed, the T-55 was the most common tank in the Russian arsenal at the time.

CPTNet

January 18, 2002

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN :The spoil of war

by Doug Pritchard

January 7, 2002

Afghanistan has experienced wave after wave of destruction in the past 23 years. The spoil from those wars remains as a mute testament to the suffering of the people. Along the highway just south of Kabul, the CPT delegation in Afghanistan came upon a line of four battered Soviet-made T64 tanks. The USSR brought 6,000 tanks when it invaded Afghanistan in 1978. Many were subsequently captured by the Afghan mujahideen (resistance fighters), and from them by the Taliban, and now from them by the Northern Alliance. Local observers told CPT that 1,000 of Soviet tanks remain operational, while 5,000 were destroyed and still litter the landscape. None returned to the USSR when the Soviets withdrew in 1989.

I found this so perhaps T-64's were out there.

CPT Delegation is WRONG. I mean its quite sad that they can either confuse a T-64 for a T-55 or T-62 (t-55 and t-62 did take part in afghanistan).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2970784.stm

Thats a LUNA-M/FROG-7 not a scud. It seems like identifying soviet technology accurately is impossibl especially for CPT I think they watched too many of 9th company rofl.gif .

Seeing alotof te russain armed vehicles got upgrades make a bit diffcult to identify some of them.

1188836987.bobcatt_image11-1.jpg

This one was wearing an uparmored kit in Gardez hiding most ot he easy to spot details. That and the russains kept sending military hardwear into Afghanistan after the pull out. ANA have T72M1s just do not field them often due to no threats needing armor to take care of.

Once again ANA does not have T-72's , T-80's or T-64's. You may have mistaken the T-72M1 for the T-62M as ANA has both T-62M and T-62A in addition to others.

Once again ANA does not have T-72's , T-80's or T-64's. You may have mistaken the T-72M1 for the T-62M as ANA has both T-62M and T-62A in addition to others.

I don't know, a lot of country's have been donating weapons and equipment lately to the ANA. So it may be possible.

ANA has not received any T-72M/M1's. They have T-55 and T-62 variants only.

ANA has not received any T-72M/M1's. They have T-55 and T-62 variants only.

You said that 3 times now.

This thread is about creating an afghanistan map, and not about the equipment used there.

I'm current in las vegas as my vacation winds down to a close and I have kandahar sitting on my PC begging to be completed. whistle.gif