Sign in to follow this  
Deusrexmachina

0.5 seconds.

Hi all.

It takes around half a second to fully activate the A10's GAU-8/A, isn't there a way to have this delay in-game? Sure adds in a bit more realism. smile_o.gif

Well, it is a gatling gun, and all gatling guns need to speed up their rotation before they can fire, so what's so odd about half a second delay before the electric engine has gotten the cannon to rotate fast enough to actually fire?

All weapons fire instantly, I'm not sure if there is a script or addon that introduces the delay.

Thank god we dont have other things to worry about in ArmA smile_o.gif

We can make a list with few hundred pages about such things, why do jet pilots look like Helicopter crews, why do helicopters and jets dont need to warm up the engines, why wont the AI drive tanks backwards etc etc...

Well, it is a gatling gun, and all gatling guns need to speed up their rotation before they can fire, so what's so odd about half a second delay before the electric engine has gotten the cannon to rotate fast enough to actually fire?

He wasn't questioning if its a gatling gun or not.

He mentioned it had a .5 second delay in real life and asked if it could be added ingame (which it isn't) for realism.

Oh, typical me and misreading banghead.gif

Well... uhm... Good question how one could add that in the game. Maybe let the real gun fire dummy ammunition and trigger a script with the Fired event handler, that after half a second starts spewing out shots?

We can make a list with few hundred pages about such things, why do jet pilots look like Helicopter crews, why do helicopters and jets dont need to warm up the engines, why wont the AI drive tanks backwards etc etc...

Well, if you consider the speed of the A10, it can travel up to 833 km/h. It's 231 meters per second. So in half a second you travel 115.5 meters, and hitting a target at that speed with a delay DOES make a difference, so you've to make counter-measures to deal with this half second.

with ease tounge2.gif

Oh-oh. I found another flaw, very bad flaw: Why doesn't troops shout combat-signal like "AXE!" or "VODKA!" when there are other friendlies in vicinity and fierze close-range combats blazing with enemy? Right now i shoot and frag my own blokes far too easily. This should be hotfixed immediatly. icon_rolleyes.gif

Whaaaaaatever, it's not my intentions to argue, just adding ideas, and since this is considered a "simulator"...

well yes, for Infantry Combat.

this is not a flight simulator, but anything more is just a bonus.

and i have seen AI drive tanks backwards, also they will enter building and climb up ladders to get you.

driving a tank backwards in RL is also rare since the driver cant see where he is going and must rely on his commanders orders, its really dangerous. they normally move backwards to move away from a bad location into better cover.

Ignore all the naysayers. You're dead right. BIS simply doesn't care about that kind of realism. There should be a simple community made addon that address it if anyone feels up to it.

No BIS just cant add every tiny detail, each one of the users here has his own little idea of something that needs to be added for the total realism, including all these realism things would make them develop for several more years...

Out of curiosity, where can I find more about this "trigger delay"? Couldn't General Electric come up with a better system?

Out of curiosity, where can I find more about this "trigger delay"? Couldn't General Electric come up with a better system?

In good ol' Wikipedia there's info 'bout the A10, specifically of it's weapons systems. In this forum instead there's an interesting discussion between the GAU-8/A and GSh-2-30.

Ignore all the naysayers. You're dead right. BIS simply doesn't care about that kind of realism. There should be a simple community made addon that address it if anyone feels up to it.

Second that. It's the little things that make this game great.

And now out of context:

BIS simply doesn't care

Aye. Look at the vanilla game - what'd it be without this community? :-) No offense, BI.

Aha, so there is not a 0.5 second delay (as I mistook it) but rather it takes that much before the maximum rate of fire is reached. I see. Interesting!

Aha, so there is not a 0.5 second delay (as I mistook it) but rather it takes that much before the maximum rate of fire is reached. I see. Interesting!

There's also a short clip (not from YouTube, can't recall in which site I've found it) where there's a guy shooting a minigun (the camera's on his right rear), and can clearly hear the CLICK, brief delay, then the shots fired.

There's also a short clip (not from YouTube, can't recall in which site I've found it) where there's a guy shooting a minigun (the camera's on his right rear), and can clearly hear the CLICK, brief delay, then the shots fired.

Well you can also see this in the first predator movie .. but still the mechanism is negligible compared to other serious flaws that hopefully will be adressed in 1.11

I'm better closing this thread here, before it becomes one more patch-BI-ArmA-xyz battle... smile_o.gif