Sign in to follow this  
Seige07

Online Arma?

first post here on the forums smile_o.gif

well i have orderd a new computer that will be able to run this game and i was very interested in getting it. (mostly for the MP) i was wondering during its peak time how many people are playing arma at a time? im not sure if i wanna buy a game that has 100 people playing it.

First of all welcome to the forums.

As for mp ,

You'll find alot of servers with 20-30 people playing it's always populated online most playing evolution,

Which is a pretty good laugh but there are alot more missions out there.

you won't regret picking it up trust me biggrin_o.gif

If you like grinding AI to get better vehicles and weapons, you will have no problem finding an Evolution game. But if it's not your idea of Armed Assault, finding a game is almost more trouble than it's worth.

If you like grinding AI to get better vehicles and weapons, you will have no problem finding an Evolution game. But if it's not your idea of Armed Assault, finding a game is almost more trouble than it's worth.

Must you be such a negative nancy, Celery, spamming every thread about multiplayer with that evo/coop/AI-whining. Why not just you know, get over it and go play some game that is actually enjoyable to you. COD4 maybe? BF2... CS, no? biggrin_o.gif

Stating the obvious to the OP, MP on a public server that doesn't have a pw or enforce Teamspeak etc and playing with some random anonymous morons is probably going to be utter shit most of the time compared to MP on a good server with nice folks you can trust to have some common fucking decency and sense. That is true to virtually any online game ever created.

Public MP isn't anything special. But if you join a group (clan, league, whatever) you can have an awesome time with great PvP and coop games.

Don't worry too much with the public games. As with most games, it's not always so good.

If you join a group, then public MP crap can be safely ignored, along with other people's opinions about public MP tounge2.gif

Don't spend too much time on those Evolution games. That map is very overplayed and doesn't represent what the game is like in other missions.

Must you be such a negative nancy, Celery, spamming every thread about multiplayer with that evo/coop/AI-whining. Why not just you know, get over it and go play some game that is actually enjoyable to you. COD4 maybe? BF2... CS, no? biggrin_o.gif

Stating the obvious to the OP, MP on a public server that doesn't have a pw or enforce Teamspeak etc and playing with some random anonymous morons is probably going to be utter shit most of the time compared to MP on a good server with nice folks you can trust to have some common fucking decency and sense. That is true to virtually any online game ever created.

Why aren't you having a good time playing instead of hanging out here giving zero contribution? Oh sorry I forgot, there aren't any good games on the servers.

OP is a new player and may not know the "obvious" things yet. And just so you know, public games being complete crap is specific to Armed Assault, many other games offer a full spectrum of game modes ready to be played around the clock.

As Maddmatt, I play only on passworded servers and to fully enjoy ArmA you must make an effort: To learn the complex gameplay and to find a place safe from griefers.

Why aren't you having a good time playing instead of hanging out here giving zero contribution? Oh sorry I forgot, there aren't any good games on the servers.

OP is a new player and may not know the "obvious" things yet.

So only people who don't like ArmA are allowed to make useless posts on the forums? biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]And just so you know, public games being complete crap is specific to Armed Assault, many other games offer a full spectrum of game modes ready to be played around the clock.

Bullshit! Maybe you mostly stick to 'mainstream' games that have a huge online population.

I've started playing Race 07 recently and things there are similar. People often act like idiots on public servers, most of them are empty or only have a few players.

You need to join a group to have good races. You can see many busy games are on locked servers.

If you completely ignore organised games and only consider public games, well that's your loss icon_rolleyes.gif

Seige07, im not sure what your time zone is. That can make a difference too. I like playing online, but finding a good server can be difficult. That is one reason i play over at ArmA: Theatre of War. Since its an ArmA community, there are people playing thru the week and at all hours. And unlike public servers, you can trust them. PM me if you want more details.

So only people who don't like ArmA are allowed to make useless posts on the forums? biggrin_o.gif

How is it useless information to a new player to say that servers are playing mostly one repetitive gametype especially when he asks about the state of online games? Last time I checked it's a solid fact, if there was a filter that hid all mission names with "evolution" or "domination" in them, the browser would look pathetically empty. And that's what may affect a prospective player's opinion toward the truth instead of false hopes of gaming nirvana.

If you think that I hate ArmA, you are sorely mistaken.

How is it useless information to a new player to say that servers are playing mostly one repetitive gametype especially when he asks about the state of online games?...

And that's exactly why they should be told about the private games, so they know that it doesn't end with crappy public servers smile_o.gif

How is it useless information to a new player to say that servers are playing mostly one repetitive gametype especially when he asks about the state of online games?...

And that's exactly why they should be told about the private games, so they know that it doesn't end with crappy public servers smile_o.gif

But telling about the majority of servers that play one single map is useless? Brilliant.

OP is a new player and may not know the "obvious" things yet. And just so you know, public games being complete crap is specific to Armed Assault, many other games offer a full spectrum of game modes ready to be played around the clock.

I think I made a good contribution by offering a different view of ArmA MP. Your opinnion was seemingly only based on the public servers, so I thought it was fair to mention that it is the worst way to play ArmA multiplayer based on my observations.

The delightful chaps on the closed servers may not play every waking hour, but when they do they don't mess around. Even at its worst they are having a good time. Sound awesome? It is. At least compared to subjecting yourself to the angsty teens and other stupid, vile, vulgar, annoying people that dominate most of the public servers.

The reason I'm not playing ArmA right now for instance, is that the fine gentlemen I like to play with are doing different things today, as am I thumbs-up.gif

But telling about the majority of servers that play one single map is useless? Brilliant.

Oh yes you're so helpful icon_rolleyes.gif

Telling someone that the MP is crap and not mentioning the organised/private games is useless, yes.

This is not helpful, or true, as I already pointed out:

Quote[/b] ]public games being complete crap is specific to Armed Assault

Well I'm going to let this thread die now, since it is getting the same pointless crap as many others.

goodnight.gif

I'm going to ask this question here instead of making a new topic. I played Arma alot when it first came out. After awhile I couldn't find good games anymore. I've been playing COD4 lately, and it's a cool game. On the other hand I miss Arma but every time I go on to play there are just a few rpg games running. I liked when everyone was playing Berzerk CTI games because that's all I played on OFP. Does anybody know when the ideal time is to play when the most people are online? I'm aware that most Arma players are European and that I need to be on when they are. I don't know anything abouy joining clans, but if someone could help me that's in a co-op or pvp clan I'd appreciate it. Thank You

it may be about a week or two intil i get it cause im waiting for my new computer to arive, but i am going to get it for sure and ill check that out sometime. i have that page bookmarked so i can check it out later.

thanks.

it may be about a week or two intil i get it cause im waiting for my new computer to arive, but i am going to get it for sure and ill check that out sometime. i have that page bookmarked so i can check it out later.

thanks.

No worries mate, if you want to play ArmA online the way it was meant to then that's the place smile_o.gif

Hi Seige07

The majority of people in ArmA play C&H PvPs like Berzerk, public coops like Evolution, PvP coops similar to ones played at Zeus, and realistic coop Like at Zeus, Shacktactical KellysHeroes, 16RAB, CIA etc. Twitch play is depreciated. Proper team play is preferred and the use of Teamspeak or some such is almost mandatory on most clan servers.

There are plenty of games of Berzerk and Evolution both get played on well admin-ed public server in vanilla ArmA usually so you do not need to worry about sorting out your addons for this. I avoid the the servers that are not admined.

Plenty of PVP Coop and Coop servers around mostly locked to keep the riff raff out but you can join their clans and find them listed in the forum, most are easy to join they vary from loose control to full on command structures like Shacktactical.

Anything from 20 to 60 players in a battle, several mods around so lots of neat stuff to play with, but make sure you keep everything in the correct MOD folders and have shortcuts that start ArmA with the correct addons

Cellery makes Hexenkessle and other CTF and DM maps so he gets upset the servers that run this style do not fill up. I think you can guess why. To most of us it seems silly to have gigantic maps then play in a shoe box but if you want a mad half hour Hexenkessle he can tell you about his server.

Berzerk on an admin-ed server is a good place to start.

Evolution is fairly easy to get into but try to get onto a game that has only been running a short time; games that have been running for a while have knocked down lots of trees, bushes and buildings synching up lots of damage data takes time and means you have to download it all first.

A clan is a must to play good PvP coop or Coop. Several run public servers to bring in new members.

PvP coop is where you play realistic scenarios with players on both sides. No point scoring or daffy flags to capture, it is about controlling objectives or protecting a VIP or running a road patrol or controlling and running a checkpoint. Lots of modern asymmetric warfare. Sometimes players might be controlling AI on one or both sides. A command structure is usually in place, often planning is involved, teams go as far as rehearsing battles early in the week before the real battle over the weekend. Most follow SOPs. Several have full command manuals you need to read.

Coop is like the above but often with a small team against overwhelming AI or very tight objectives.

As you can see there are lots of games styles and thousands of scenarios compared to other games, so you will not just be stuck with CTF's and DMs but if you want them Cellery's maps are there.

Kind Regards walker