Sign in to follow this  
the.d

"server.cfg" for listen servers

My problem is possibly quite simple:

Is there any way to define parameters such as

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">"listenserver.cfg"

MaxCustomFileSize=204800000;

MinErrorToSend=0.01;

vonCodecQuality=10

VonID=1;

NetStats=0;

DeathMessages=1;

for a listen server?

Apparently, it won't work as clients using a custom face still get kicked.

As I'm exclusively playing with people I know, a dedicated server doesn't make much sense, as performance-wise there is no difference on my system and we would lose the ability to edit missions "on-the-fly".

I tried editing ArmA.cfg and made up a server.cfg to be used with ArmA.exe - nothing worked so far. Can anybody help me out here?

Sorry, if that has been discussed before, I didn't find anything about it.

Anyway, thank you for reading this. smile_o.gif

PS: I managed to include the parameters

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

VonID=1;

NetStats=0;

DeathMessages=1;

by writing them into the two difficulty settings of my .ArmAprofile file. This is pretty nice, as in Veteran Mode you are now not even allowed to peek in your stats (I) in order to find out if that guy you just shot is really dead. If anybody is interested in this and needs more info, feel free to message me.

That's because some of the parameters belong in arma.cfg and not in a server.cfg.

The biki is unaccessible for me atm, but when it's back up, try searching for: Dedicated or Server

You will find the examples and help needed

Thank you for your reply!

However, it seems as though server.cfg and arma.cfg only affect a dedicated server. The changes to server.cfg (and arma.cfg respectably, in case no server.cfg is specified?) there are noticeable, as is not the case with my listenserver.

I set MaxCustomFileSize to 33554432 (that's 4MB, if I'm not mistaken) and still people are getting kicked for having a custom face file. This does only happen on a listenserver, the same setting are perfectly functional on a dedicated one.

"listen server"?

Anyway. The customFile size, maxguaranteed, minerrorToSend etc etc all belong in your my documents\arma\arma.cfg not in a server.cfg. You sure you tested it while the details were set in that arma\arma.cfg and not in server.cfg?

By "listen server" I mean a non-dedicated server - a "temporary" game created by the host who is also able to join in at the same time (ping=0)

There's also a preset name tag for those ("username" on "computer name", in my case "The.D on Ds PC", for instance).

So far I haven't found a way to affect any "listen server variables", neither server name, nor "MaxCustomFileSize", nor "minerrorToSend " or anything else.

Thanks a lot for your info on arma.cfg, though. It's good to know this is the definite config in charge for the variables above. smile_o.gif Much appreciated! I'll test it and try if I can work out a solution.

hmm, so your starting the client version and then hitting "new" on the MP screen

assuing you have a man enough PC there should be no reason why u can't start a local dedi-server with either the server.exe or the -server switch, and then boot up your regular game

you could always try adding some switches onto your regualr start which might work

-config=server.cfg (forces the game to read the file specified allows the use of different .cfg files0

-cfg=arma.cfg (again, allows uses the specified file)

-profiles=profiles (reads the profile stored in the root arma directory, not c:/my documents/users/ blah/blah/blah)

not guarunteeing any of these but might be worth a go

Esco

Cheers, Esco!

Tried the dedicated server before - works fine, since -config= is used with the ArmA_server.exe and apparently refuses to work with ArmA.exe. I have several reasons (let's summarize them in the term "vanity" here) why I want to run a listen server, though.

However, thanks to sickboy and you, I finally took a closer look at the Biki (yeah, I'm an idiot for not having done so before) and found out about the proper usage of -cfg= and -profile=.

Now, as weird as it sounds, when I combine these two parameters it works - and only then! To not only specify a /Users folder within ArmA's installation directory (I love it! It's like OFP now, no more separate Windows folder BS! thumbs-up.gif) but also tell ArmA.exe to use an alternative "basic.cfg" (which is called ArmA.cfg by default) makes it run! Difficulty settings, scoreboard, VON quality and network settings are using predefined values now! On a listen server!

Players are still getting kicked for using a custom face.jpg but that has got to be another issue. I'll try some stuff to get that working - might be Vista-induced anyway (don't beat me for it, I'm a 4GB RAM DX10 whore and yes, I regret it).

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply to this. You really helped me out here! smile_o.gif

i use vista for gaming as well, 3GB and DX10 768Mb card, hence i stopped at 3GB

the issues with custom faces is probably due to permissions, which vista is much harder on, you could try running the game " as administrator", right click the icon and select from the menu instead of double left clicking.

this gives the arma.exe more permissions, BF2 has similar issues with vista and PB, since when not running as admin vista locks the exe out of some other folders.

might be worth a go anyway

Aye, first thing I did when I got Vista was to disable the UAC ("User Account Control", euphemism) to gain proper access and not feel like an idiot all the time ("Are you sure you want to ... breathe? Yes/No/Maybe")

Thanks for the reply, though: It still could be a writing permissions issue after all; I had the same idea: My dedicated server, however, accepts custom face.jpg's without a problem, even on Vista. I did not get to start a listen server on a Windows XP machine, yet. I'll tinker with permissions and task manager application priorities in the meantime. goodnight.gif

It's not a big issue anyway, would just be nice little feature.

Good choice with 3GB RAM, by the way. I have to reboot every time I want to play ArmA (msconfig). Hope they fix it with the next patch. :-)

Regards!