Sign in to follow this  
SaBrE_UK

ArmA 2 Press Coverage

I agree.

ArmA's animations are as realistic as they can possibly be because they are made using motion caption.

It's the transition between them most of the people have problems with.

Agreed with you!

I agree as well, and not just because my wife worked on the ArmA animations wink_o.gif

The transitions and just general length and snappiness of anims is bad, for example, once the anim starts, you can't break out of it, it has to finish, like that one fatal step forward, when all you want to do was a quick nudge, etc. The characters need to stop when you put your finger off the key, not a step or two later. It has to happen right then, otherwise you're not playing the game, just giving directions to your character in hope that he won't mess up.

I agree.

ArmA's animations are as realistic as they can possibly be because they are made using motion caption.

Agreed with you!

I agree as well, and not just because my wife worked on the ArmA animations wink_o.gif

Looked at the animations again closely last night and they are really good, just think that what ever situation you are in they are the same speed. in real life you would do things at a different rate, example reloading gun underfire would be done quicker cos of adrenaline etc than reloading before engagement

I really hope they'll find a publisher who can release the game worldwide AND get BI some PR this time.

The PR for ArmA was unenthusiastic. Hardly any videos or english interviews, with ONE exception by PC Format (UK). Sure the William Porter blog was a interresting idea, but it failed because of lack of structure, planning and coordination, just like the rest of the PR for ArmA.

I have no idea what is going on behind the curtains, but if IDEA Games are in charge of finding a publisher they should pick up the pace before it's too late to get ArmA 2 some good PR-work. No PR means no extra sales, and that again could mean the end of BI (unless VBS(2) are keeping them alive).

Until they get a publisher I think they should do some PRing of their own. There are loads of cheap and effective ways of doing that, publish screenshots,

ASK for interviews (Yes, I said ask! ) and/or send out presskits to several well-known gaming websites like Gamespot, Gamershell, Gamespy, etc.

If they don't stand up and do something they won't be recognized by either gamers or potential publishers.

This is the only thing that worries me at the moment. ArmA 2 is in my to-do-list either way.

I agree. As with any product you need to SELL it, putting forward as much information as possible about its strenghts. I dont personally think the average gamer has any idea about the potential of armed assault or the scale of it. I think they see it as a low bubget battlefield or something similar to that wow_o.gif. this is because of the lack of publicity and information.

I agree.

Agreed with you!

Looked at the animations again closely last night and they are really good, just think that what ever situation you are in they are the same speed. in real life you would do things at a different rate, example reloading gun underfire would be done quicker cos of adrenaline etc than reloading before engagement

They are, just as I said.

My favorite is going from prone to fast sprint. Looks really nice.

Best you can do is to slow down the game using the SetAccTime command and then just try out some moves.

You'll notice that all the animations are smooth, nice and realistic, but when it comes to transition you can notice slight jerkiness and stuff.

I agree.

Exactly: Start to pull out rocket launcher, get shot and killed, after death, begin putting away rocket launcher, then fall over. Priceless.Oh and TANKS... Jesus... Since when do SABOTS make a little chunk of dirt on the ground no bigger than my fist? There really needs to be a swarm of dust and dirt flying up from the impact side. What about getting hit by SABOTS? Nothing, just a decrease in armor, no AT round explosion, nothing... What about the sound a round hits when it makes contact with a tanks outer armor? Thats horrible too in Arma1. These things I hope are addressed in Arma2. Oh and of course, kill detection needs a lift. You hit a T72 with a AT round, the tank takes 3-5 seconds to explode, and you receive no kills.. Same goes with air vehicles.

I agree.

Exactly: Start to pull out rocket launcher, get shot and killed, after death, begin putting away rocket launcher, then fall over. Priceless.Oh and TANKS... Jesus... Since when do SABOTS make a little chunk of dirt on the ground no bigger than my fist? There really needs to be a swarm of dust and dirt flying up from the impact side. What about getting hit by SABOTS? Nothing, just a decrease in armor, no AT round explosion, nothing... What about the sound a round hits when it makes contact with a tanks outer armor? Thats horrible too in Arma1. These things I hope are addressed in Arma2. Oh and of course, kill detection needs a lift. You hit a T72 with a AT round, the tank takes 3-5 seconds to explode, and you receive no kills.. Same goes with air vehicles.

Sabots do not explode. They wouldn't leave much trace when hitting the ground. Or when hitting tanks. SABOT rounds are much like arrows. HEAT rounds explode on the other hand.

I agree.

Sabots do not explode. They wouldn't leave much trace when hitting the ground. Or when hitting tanks. SABOT rounds are much like arrows. HEAT rounds explode on the other hand.

Sabot Rounds do a gigantic Spark-cloud at impact!

APFSDS-impact.jpg

Best Regards, Christian

I think the game needs to feel more fluent, i just played COD4 and it feels brilliant it just Flows without any jaggedness or stiffness. I dont quite know how to describe it, its like putting on a pait of jeans, one with Fabric softener and one pair without, it just feels better to use

I think the game needs to feel more fluent, i just played COD4 and it feels brilliant it just Flows without any jaggedness or stiffness. I dont quite know how to describe it, its like putting on a pait of jeans, one with Fabric softener and one pair without, it just feels better to use

I think it's much easier too make heavily scripted scenes feel

"tighter" then open-ended ones as the designer can test them over and over scripting action/reaction to enhance dramatic effect.

"tighter" then open-ended ones as the designer can test them over and over scripting action/reaction to enhance dramatic effect.

I know but its a mix of things. Red orchestra, BF2, HAlf life 2, Insurgency mod. They are open ended moreso when playing online, and they feel brilliant aswell, so non-scripted action can feel just as good as scripted in my opinion

I know but its a mix of things. Red orchestra, BF2, HAlf life 2, Insurgency mod. They are open ended moreso when playing online, and they feel brilliant aswell, so non-scripted action can feel just as good as scripted in my opinion

Could you be more specific?

I think it's kind of easy to say "if only Arma had the best elements of all of the most popular and big-budgeted shooters ever made" as if that is an easy thing to do.

All of those games you mentioned have shining points, but it would be just as easy to go in the RO forums and say" why can't we have AI like OFP" or HF2 " Why cant we commandeer every vehicle or go wherever we want like Arma".

Arma is a faulted animal on one level, amazing on another, but it's franchise(hopefully) is one of a kind.

Im not sure, are these screens new?

5670-5.jpg5670-2.jpg

Here

In the german magazine "PC ACTION" 6/2008 should be a video of ArmA 2, here a teaser:

Can't remember seeing the left picture, but I've seen the right one before (old).

I've seen the first 3 pictures (on the website link), but the one on the right with the two helicopters is new to me. Good find.

interesting the website that the pictures are on says that the release date for ArmA 2 is 16/10/2008.

speaking of release date when is this magazine/video is supposed to be released ( I mean which day).

good find.

The german publisher of ArmA2 "Peter Games / Morphicon" will present the game at the Games Convention in Leipzig. Q

Big Edit: much more high resolution screens i find:

here!!

wow_o.gif  wow_o.gif  thumbs-up.gif some screeens are nice, but some of them looks  to much like ArmA to me sad_o.gif

Ho,ho,ho...nice boar...is it going to be ArmA Boar Hunter? biggrin_o.gif

[/joke] Nice photos and yes, very similar to ArmA smile_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Looks fantastic, visually smile_o.gif

Wow.This is a super new addition.A boar.My dream is coming true.Now i can hunt boars in the forests of Chernarus.

Those marines need MTVs... and it seems that UGL clipping is still order of the day. But ah well. Boars are fun too, I spose. smile_o.gif

Very strange, I play CoD4 and honestly, I sometimes have the exact same feeling as in ArmA sad_o.gif

"Stop fec***g running and turn!!"

It's far less obvious than ArmA, but there is definitely some animation issues on my CoD4 which feel the same : character stuck in an animation for longer than you asked for. Definitely doesn't look natural to me.

Perhaps I've a problem with all games implementing transitions in anims. I don't like that, they are too long and block your movements

Very strange, I play CoD4 and honestly, I sometimes have the exact same feeling as in ArmA sad_o.gif

"Stop fec***g running and turn!!"

It's far less obvious than ArmA, but there is definitely some animation issues on my CoD4 which feel the same : character stuck in an animation for longer than you asked for. Definitely doesn't look natural to me.

Perhaps I've a problem with all games implementing transitions in anims. I don't like that, they are too long and block your movements

i think its your pc not cod4.

the new pigs in arma2 are a reason to buy the game yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

cant wait to shoot them!

What do you think, from which plane or helo is that cockpit?

Osprey maybe?