Sign in to follow this  
Entelin

How do you select a colored group?

So I select several units to be "team blue" and some others for "team red", but how do I select one or the other? I'm setting up pilfius and its working pretty well, however I just cant figure out what key sequence I can use to select a specific team...

I believe holding down the Shift key and then clicking on any member of the colour team will select the whole of that team.

Also, they should be selectable via the command menu (Space) somehow. smile_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

You have to use the shift-click or command menu (space and then scroll to the team and select).

It truly sucks that they removed the old ofp way of selecting a team through the keyboard, no idea why they did that as it was much faster and better sad_o.gif

It truly sucks that they removed the old ofp way of selecting a team through the keyboard, no idea why they did that as it was much faster and better sad_o.gif

I have to agree. After playing around with VAC/PiLfIuS a few hours I found it very hard to make a profile that worked well with a squad divided to two (or more) fire teams. Having all in one group works great but I prefer to divide a squad to two fire teams.

Lets say you assign F2, F3, F4, F5 to red team and F6,F7,F8,F9 to white team. Using SHIFT-F2 in the VAC/PiLfIuS profile to select the red team works just fine as long as he (F2) stays alive but if/when he dies you can no longer give orders to red team via VAC/PiLfIuS.

I'm still experimenting so there may be a workaround without having to use the command menu button but beeing able to map a key to select a single team directly as in OFP would make things alot easier.

/KC

As a loyal BIS fan I must say that removing this feature was ill advised at least and a glaring mistake at most. It only makes control that much more difficult. Either they thought it was "cooler" this way or it's an ugly by-product of console development (ruined again). I see no reason why it should not be in the next patch.

--Ben

If the two pieces of software aren't totally compatible then there's two ways of going about this. You can ask the game developers to try to support the control software or ask the control software developers to support the game. I think you'd have more luck asking the control software devs... although, both pieces of software are relatively obscure, so it's unlikely that either will be dying to get in on the cash-cow that is the community of the other.

it has nothing to do with one apps supporting the other, pilphius simply presses keys if you say a phrase or word, so anything in any game that can be done via the keyboard or mouse buttons or joystick buttons, can be done using voice via pilphius. The issue turns out as mentioned above, that there is no consistancy in the keys used to select a team, which is bs, and just plain stupid play control. And this mistake is hardly alone when it comes to arma, hopefully they clean up all these issues with arma2.

After playing around with VAC a bit more I found a way to select colored groups directly (i.e without having to use the command menu) but there are a few issues...

What I first did was to lower the duration time for each command in the VAC Builder to 25 mS to speed up the team selection (this works fine on my rig but YMMW).

Then I split my eight man team to the following two fireteams using the assign function in game (you only have to assign the Red Team the rest will be in White team automaticly)....

F2, F3, F4, F5 = Team Red

F6, F7, F8, F9 = Team White

The trick to select Team Red was to always send F2, F3, F4, F5 keys to select the units in that team (it have no ill effects even if one or more team member die). And to select Team White you always send the F6, F7, F8, F9 keys.

It works quite well but as mentioned above it's far from perfect...

1. With 8 man in 2 teams it requires four keys (+ actual command keys) to be sent instead of one to select a colored team.

2. The teams are "hardcoded", i.e in my case Red Team must always be F2-F5 and White Team F6-F9.

3. Since it's "hardcoded" you can't easily reassign and mix team members on the fly.

Neither could I find any way to do it via a script, anyone know if thats possible?

Being able to map a key/s for selecting each colored team would make things alot easier and most of all allow for team reassignments in game on the fly, hope you are listening BIS wink_o.gif

PS: I used VAC to test the above but I will probably work with PiLfIuS as well.

/KC

The command problem is mainly due to the engine being a xbox port. I guess this was the best way to implement the command system for someone using a xbox controller. I don't expect it to be fixed for ArmA. Let's hope that BIS makes the ArmA2 engine spefically for the PC. I can't think of a single game that has benefited from being een console port. But there is first for everything so i'm hoping for the best. thumbs-up.gif

The command problem is mainly due to the engine being a xbox port. I guess this was the best way to implement the command system for someone using a xbox controller. I don't expect it to be fixed for ArmA. Let's hope that BIS makes the ArmA2 engine spefically for the PC. I can't think of a single game that has benefited from being een console port. But there is first for everything so i'm hoping for the best. thumbs-up.gif

Agreed, I must have posted the exact same thing several times.

To re-iterate:

Consoles are bad because they dumb down PC games. Console FPS gaming is a compromise in user interface and that is NEVER good: not even for the game on the console.

--Ben

How was the OFP way of it?

Was it different from selecting one colored-team-member together with shift?

___

My observations led me to the knowledge ( rofl.gif ) that you actually can't select the group "WHITE". Soldiers designated to white are non-grouped.

Maybe clear for everyone here, but this was a detail that sometimes made me sick because I didn't know it.

hate to burst your bubble guys but arma2 will be even more dedicated to consoles

Quote[/b] ]All we want is to make it a more accessible and streamlined game than the current ARMA is. For that we do not need and do not want to remove anything that made Operation Flashpoint and ARMA so immersive and our focus on realism in the sense of open simulated game world will remain unchanged.

http://www.bistudio.com/developers-blog/arma-2-expectations_en.html

the part after the bold text is just bs. youd have to remove and alter the things that made ofp and arma so immersive to make arma2 even more accessible and streamlined. wasnt arma a step back from realism compared to ofp? just imagine how arma2 will be.

im not hatin on bi because i will probably still play arma2.. because the mods will fix what they did wrong again.

Just not letting the thread to be buried in oblivion... This really interests me.

How was the OFP way of it?

Was it different from selecting one colored-team-member together with shift?

Just not letting the thread to be buried in oblivion... This really interests me.

I tried to remember what keys it was in OFP but have to dissapoint you... guess I'm getting old.... I don't have OFP installed on this new rig so I can't check/verify.

Hopefully someone else remember what keys it was.

/KC

IIRC there was a submenu dedicated to the teams. You could

select a team just by hitting the menu selection for "Red

Team", "Green Team" etc. I used to play it using "Shoot"

(a program similar to "Pilfius"). Once it was properly set up,

I could easily give an order to a particular team just by

shouting (for example) "Red Team ...flank right!"

undeceived for OFP: F-key (selecting unit) - 9 - 9 - 1..5 color

ArmA: F-key (selecting unit) - 9 - 1...5 color

smile_o.gif

For those concerned:

In 1.11 the Team menu was changed and now it is possible to assign teams using 9 X and to select teams using 9 9 X. I hope you will like it. (I think this change slipped the beta change log.)

Hi all

Thanks Suma good to see it back!

I am an old keyboard shortcut fanatic. The space bar stuff was just too clumsy.

I started learning keyboard shortcuts with CPM in the very early eighties.

For those of you too young to know; CPM is where, [Ctrl] [c], [Ctrl] [v], [Ctrl] [x], [Ctrl] , [Ctrl] [z], [Ctrl] [p], [Ctrl] [f], [Ctrl] , [Ctrl] , [Ctrl] etc. all come from. They are now fundamental to windows and indeed every OS and application there is.

Kind Regards walker

For those concerned:

In 1.11 the Team menu was changed and now it is possible to assign teams using 9 X and to select teams using 9 9 X. I hope you will like it. (I think this change slipped the beta change log.)

Thank you! Finally I can start using teams!!

its good to see the coloured team back, yet the base problem of commanding your troops still didnt solve, i wouldnt take the rant here through as i didnt expect the change to be in ARMA1

Awesome news Suma. Greatly appreciated!

/KC

That's good to here Suma. I'm a big user of fireteams and was a bit bummed by the command system in Arma.

thumbs-up.gifnotworthy.gif

it bugs me when you make a team with like 2 and 9 and they make their own formation far apart from each other, so i always end up making elements of like 2,4,6,8, and 3,5,7,9 to get some kind of close nit group,

any suggestions on how to make them not be in a formation except from giving individual paths?