Sign in to follow this  
Halochief89

USA vs SLA conflict real life

What would happen? If the United States actually went into combat with a organization like the SLA. With their weapons they actually have and not limited to what the game has I mean F-22s to M1A2s. I don't know if the SLA would have other aircraft and other tanks but still what would happen? Would the SLA be driven down within weeks, days, years?

Within a day. The whole island is so small that it probably wouldn't take more than 3 hours. It's just 5km from Corazol to Banango. 8-12km to the rest of the north from Corazol. It wouldn't be a war, it wouldn't even be a military exercise. It'd be something for the airforce.

Even with the gear they have ingame now the US would wipe the floor with them.

but after the "war" was over and US would occupy sahrani, the conflict woudl turn into an querilla war, where US most likely would take a beating pistols.gifpistols.gif

And who would be attacking them? The gay skinhead fraternity?

the US would not take as many casualties as they do in this game. it's ridiculous, infantry die by the dozens. icon_rolleyes.gif

And who would be attacking them? The gay skinhead fraternity?

Local resistance, terror attacks etc

Provided that the former commie regime had some support in the people of course.

As for the main "war", i would give it four hours tounge2.gif

but after the "war" was over and US would occupy sahrani, the conflict woudl turn into an querilla war, where US most likely would take a beating pistols.gifpistols.gif

Basically everyone knows every one as population is small (one mole would most likely reveal whole HUGE 10-20 man resistance organization). No big cities but mostly small 100-200 population villages. Too small space, few mountains and forests (not much hideouts in wilderness). US and RACS can safely operate from Southern Sahrani, with choppers, boats, UAVs, electronical recon, patrols etc... There would be need for only few SpecOp or RACS quard's units operating 24/7 in mountains and forests of Northern Sahrani. You see, they can remote-occupy whole northern Sahrani wink_o.gif

10 man Resistance would be screwed and short lived if they show anykind activity other than throw US vehicles with rotten eggs. No place to hide, no place to run and ocean is around you. So i go for MehMan.

well it seems that the US cant even control Iraq very well, they took it, but can they hold it ?

F-22's are not so good at detecting road side bombs for example.

So i think this example applies to Sharani.

Its not really very realistic that a country so tiny can have such independent politics either, so this discussion falls a bit on its knees.

Are there any interesting facts about Sahrani or the SLA in Queens Gambit?

Judging by what equipment is available to the SLA, they're most like a conventional army. Their equipment is pretty much equal to that of the US. So comparing SLA to insurgents in iraq or afghanistan is maybe a bit silly.

We don't really know much about the strength of the SLA though. How many tanks, how many planes, and how many soldiers or even what population they have, etc.

A tiny country like israel with just a few million people, can have a huge, super-hightech military, so perhaps one could imagine them a bit like that.

But my initial thoughts were, that this Sahrani war, was to be a replica of the falklands war, which was between two conventional armies (Argentina and UK) - A fight over an island between two imperialistic nations. So both armies could be very powerful and the fight could go on for a while if they deemed it worthwhile.

ArmA is SUPPOSED to be "MODERN" Conflick, BULLSh**!

in MODERN CONFLICT, US would have all kinds of satelite support, every units own MCDONALD hamburger bar, thermic googles, infrared cameras, BETTER EQUIPMENT! mad_o.gif

as now I HATE that everyone has A FREAKING INTRCEPTOR OTV vest"" WHY BIS WHY?huh.gifhuh.gif

and back to topic, so this isnt compareable actually. nobody knows, the question is also kinda stupid, wich would win? well lets see! biggrin_o.gif ( lol )

SLA is side with OLD shitty russian trash, and. well... um US is the same with old US stuff, no modern stuff at all,

oh well I forgot! they have inside fire system for machine guns in stryker and m1a1!..

...oh, so does the sla, oooold russian tanks have that too? I didnt know that wow_o.gif

buuuuut my answer to the question is that US would kick their asses! wink_o.gif

USS Nimitz class ships carry 90 aircraft. Even if we decided that Sahrani was vastly larger than in the game, the size of Cuba, and SLA was half the size of Cuban military, then just one Nimitz class carrier would outpower the entire SLA airforce. Add to that all the rest of the firepower of a carrier force, including its cruise missiles, and it's obvious that SLA airforce stands no chance.

SLA would of course have SAM systems, and eliminating the radar and missile sites would be the first priority, among with cutting communications.

As soon as air domination was reached and SLA mechanized detachments bombed into utter disorganization, US airmobile units would seize operationally decisive positions (North Sahrani is mountainous and so the control of mountain passes is imperative) and then overthrow the northern government.

Unlike in the game campaign I don't think that there'd be much tank battles at all, because it's just not worth the trouble: in the north tanks are of no use, and there's no use in fighting in the south because the quickest road to victory is to strike in the heart of the enemy.

It's unlikely that there'd be any aftermath of the kind of in Iraq or Afghanistan, as even if we still regard to the island as the size of Cuba, it'd be too small for insurgents to keep hiding. Sure, back in the 1950's Castro's guerrillas could stay in the mountains, but Batista didn't have helicopters, FLIR technology, surveillance drones & satellites etc. With modern technology strangling such rebel movement would be effortless.

oh well I forgot! they have inside fire system for machine guns in stryker and m1a1!..

...oh,  so does the sla, oooold russian tanks have that too? I didnt know that   wow_o.gif

Hey, it's nothing new. Even Germans had those in WW2.

Well If SLA was a real army U.S. would mop the floor with them. But once the U.S. took over the north and turn the war into an occupation pockets of the SLA guerrilla units will mess them up.

well it seems that the US cant even control Iraq very well, they took it, but can they hold it ?

F-22's are not so good at detecting road side bombs for example.

Sure... if North Sahrani would be size of Iraq.

North Sahrani might have about 5000-10000 citizens. There are going to be 5-10 insurgents in whole country rofl.gif

Hey man! It can be enough to win occupation in OFP's resistance campaign but not in real life. xmas_o.gif Well i'm lying, in resistance they had several hundreds of men + James + US and bigger country (Nogova as whole).

@liljb15: Look at the map and look it's size. There is no space for querilla troops to operate.

One quite funny thing is (which has been discussed earlier too)... Where did SLA train it's tankers and those BIG (atleast batallion or two) mechaniced units? There's not much open space in there, just mountain valleys and fields. Was SLA armored unit named something like 'Mountain Armored Brigade' by anychange? rofl.gif

One quite funny thing is (which has been discussed earlier too)... Where did SLA train it's tankers and those BIG (atleast batallion or two) mechaniced units?

Judging from their performance in the field they must have

used Op. Flashpoint as a training simulator. nener.gif

oh well I forgot! they have inside fire system for machine guns in stryker

Strykers do have a remotely controlled weapons system...

I think that because Sahrani is a small island nation the U.S. could easily wipe out enemy forces, since they couldn't run over the border again once America pulled out.

Another questions is how vehicles like Abrams, T-72 could be delivered to the OFP/ArmA islands? No big harbor (navy ships are still absent) no big hub/runway....

Well could be many little combats for some weeks US SF vs. SLA SF, ambush, lot of guerilla tactics etc. Guess the citizens will form up an new United Freedom Fighter Force and kick those geardo's out of the islands. biggrin_o.gif

One quite funny thing is (which has been discussed earlier too)... Where did SLA train it's tankers and those BIG (atleast batallion or two) mechaniced units? There's not much open space in there, just mountain valleys and fields. Was SLA armored unit named something like 'Mountain Armored Brigade' by anychange? rofl.gif

I always figured they would train them at the North-Eastern most base. The one that you have to attack with the 2 other abrams in the single player mission and in the campaign. There is a good amount of flat space there. The base is big so you know it can fit trainers and recruits. Its also out of the way of the South.

Thats just what I thought though. Im sure there are holes in it.

The gay skinhead fraternity?

I take offense to that because I am one of them.

Its not really very realistic that a country so tiny can have such independent politics either, so this discussion falls a bit on its knees.

Luxembourg?

(is very small)

Well If SLA was a real army U.S. would mop the floor with them. But once the U.S. took over the north and turn the war into an occupation pockets of the SLA guerrilla units will mess them up.

Have you taken into account that the US has no supporting fleet? They are just a bunch of soldiers (who can't decide if they are US Marines or US Army) with some tanks and a load of light vehicles.

Whatever... it is a game.