Sign in to follow this  
Voidworm

ArmA 2 on PlayStation 3

Apart from the issue performace, apart from the issue of controls, The biggest reason is that full HD (1080) is ..well crap.

On a 50" screen 1080 res is really really crap (sorry just can't think of any better way of saying it).

Thats the biggest load of bull ive ever heard.

I have a 50" Plasma connected to my PS3 and when I can get games to run on 1080p, it looks great.

Maybe your tv sucks.

Thats the biggest load of bull ive ever heard.

I have a 50" Plasma connected to my PS3 and when I can get games to run on 1080p, it looks great.

Maybe your tv sucks.

You missed the point entirly..

Ever compared a game @ 1080 to a LCD 30" @ 2600x 1600 ?

PC Monitors offer Much greater pixels per square inch. a 50" screen should be around 4500+ in res.

Again, A2 has engagments at medium to long range, 1080 on a 50" just will not be able to render enough details.

1080 is stilly kinda crappy as the PC community has exceeded 1080 a long time ago. If you think 1080 looks good, then I think you would be blow away if movies were released for 30" @ native.

1080 is great compared to SD .. no questions, compared to PC screens >30" .. its crappy.

OFP:Elite was released for the Xbox 1 and we played it on a SDTV and even then we didn't have any problems with shooting enemies at the horizon.

Grim

I don't think anyone can deny that higher resolutions will always be better, but 1080p is at the very least sufficient. Certainly not crap.

PC Monitors offer Much greater pixels per square inch.

Sure, and people sit much closer to them than they generally do TVs as well, which evens things out in the long run, For example, a 50" 1080p TV at 6.5' the same fidelity as a 23" 1080p monitor at 3'.

You missed the point entirly..

Ever compared a game @ 1080 to a LCD 30" @ 2600x 1600 ?

Yes.

We have the Apple LED Cinema 30" display (WQXGA) at school and I have the SyncMaster 2443BW (WUXGA) at home.

I'd rather have my WUXGA monitor since you don't have to pixelhunt your way through game.

Can't say I have tried ArmA 2 or even Operation Flashpoint, but in games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein and The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind it just sucks.

Besides, I hate working at the workstation at school because the monitor is just too big.

Perhaps it works on larger distances (the 10 ft experience) but as a computer/workstation monitor it just sucks.

Good for IGN... isn't there already a thread for this? :padlock: :j:

Edit: Ya I know this is spam, but I just wanted to use that lock smiley...

Edited by Big Dawg KS

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if BIS was working on porting the game to PS3. There's a huge potential market as there's no way to crack the games at the moment. It's also good for future releases if BIS gets familiar with the PS3. BIS has surprised us before so I wouldn't be suprised if we were surprised once again...

May be a good sign :)

I just tried the Arma 2 demo, and while I got the impression that the old OFP feeling (which I desperately missed in the first ArmA game) was finally back, I just don't have the machine to properly run it.

Nowadays my only comp is a modern business notebook - 4GB, dual core and and a mediocre directx 10 mobile gpu (NVidia 9300M GS - perfect for work, good enough even to play 2-3 year old games at 1680x1050, but impossible for anything like ArmA. For the moment this means I won't be playing ArmA until I buy my next notebook in a few years, which by then will be able to run that 'old ArmA 2 game' with ease, but probably not its successor. Pouring money into the bin by steadily keeping up with technology on a pc is something I've given up long ago. On the other hand, I have a PS3 and I'd immediately get ArmA 2 for the console!

Missing a keyboard and mouse in a game like ArmA is not a problem in my eyes - you can easily connect them via USB or Bluetooth to the PS3 (no special ghardware required - standard pc components will do the job just fine). And BIS proved with OFP Elite they can do decent controls even for a standard game controller.

So I really hope that IGN site isn't some false lead!

Can anyone from BIS confirm the release of ARMA II PS3 for this winter?

Little bump here. Is the idea of releasing ARMA II for PS3 still alive?

I'm already planning on getting the PS3 now that it is cheaper!

I worked with a small developer on an xbox live game for a few months, it took a year to become mature enough for release but it turned out the 360 coudln't keep all the nice graphics they wanted and still maintain the framerate with the heavy AI computations in this game.

Ended up quickly porting over to PS3 because of the added power under the hood. Since I don't have a PS3 yet, I've yet to play it in the final stage!

Seeing as that was a relatively simple xbox live game, it only made sense to me that they (BIS) would go for the PS3, no clue why they were trying to get this game into an Xbox360 in the first place...so I hope this rumor is true, where in the hell did you even hear this or are you just stirring mischief?

I love my xbox360 but I can't see how it has the power to play ARMA2 decently, so hear's hoping for a PS3 release!

I don't want to spoil your expectation, but I don't think you're going to see a PS3 version of "ArmA 2". The game seems to be too complex. Just think about how long it took to convert "OPF" to a gaming console. :sorry:

I'm already planning on getting the PS3 now that it is cheaper!

I worked with a small developer on an xbox live game for a few months, it took a year to become mature enough for release but it turned out the 360 coudln't keep all the nice graphics they wanted and still maintain the framerate with the heavy AI computations in this game.

Ended up quickly porting over to PS3 because of the added power under the hood. Since I don't have a PS3 yet, I've yet to play it in the final stage!

Seeing as that was a relatively simple xbox live game, it only made sense to me that they (BIS) would go for the PS3, no clue why they were trying to get this game into an Xbox360 in the first place...so I hope this rumor is true, where in the hell did you even hear this or are you just stirring mischief?

I love my xbox360 but I can't see how it has the power to play ARMA2 decently, so hear's hoping for a PS3 release!

go look back on some presentation video's, they were done on an xbox 360 as it has more CPU's in which to process information on.

go look back on some presentation video's, they were done on an xbox 360 as it has more CPU's in which to process information on.

Thanks, what presentations videos do you speak of (link?)...I have no idea where to go with that statement.

I can only speak from personal experience that the PS3 ended being much better for AI and mathematically intensive computations....depending on how the game was implemented would affect whether it would run better on the 360 or the PS3 I would guess...

I don't see why the hell BIS can't just say one way or the other if they are working on some kind of console version or not to clear things up for everyone.

Thanks, what presentations videos do you speak of (link?)...I have no idea where to go with that statement.

I can only speak from personal experience that the PS3 ended being much better for AI and mathematically intensive computations....depending on how the game was implemented would affect whether it would run better on the 360 or the PS3 I would guess...

I don't see why the hell BIS can't just say one way or the other if they are working on some kind of console version or not to clear things up for everyone.

Hey I hope it comes to both systems but they all ready have a somewhat working version for the XBOX 360 this is a fact. Now the real question is are they going to go forward with the game and can they make it work almost 100% bug free with a good FPS rate because of MS rules on games. PS3 was never talk about by bohemia go look at the old videos.

go look back on some presentation video's, they were done on an xbox 360
What is this, I don't even?