Sign in to follow this  
Voidworm

ArmA 2 on PlayStation 3

That the PS3 does support user mods is great, but to say the truth if Arma2 on the 360 comes with the full editor then I can not see this game losing its thrill even without mods. As long as there's the full editor you have unlimited possibilities to create scenarios - good enough for me smile_o.gif

Grim

That the PS3 does support user mods is great, but to say the truth if Arma2 on the 360 comes with the full editor then I can not see this game losing its thrill even without mods. As long as there's the full editor you have unlimited possibilities to create scenarios - good enough for me  smile_o.gif

Grim

I agree that ArmA 2 on the 360 with a full mission editor would be good. I'm a 360 owner myself, and it's understandable that you are just defending your console of choice.

The PS3 doesn't just support mods in games, though. It also supports keyboard & mouse control, USB transfer of save files, bluetooth communication and control devices, and free cross-platform online gameplay (among other useful features). That's why I made this thread, not really to discuss 360 vs. PS3, but to discuss the possibilities of the PS3 version of ArmA 2.

I will conclude this post by reiterating what I said in earlier post:

I think that regardless of what console(s) Bohemia actually develop ArmA 2 for they should certainly include the full mission editor without any exceptions.

That the PS3 does support user mods is great, but to say the truth if Arma2 on the 360 comes with the full editor then I can not see this game losing its thrill even without mods. As long as there's the full editor you have unlimited possibilities to create scenarios - good enough for me smile_o.gif

Grim

I agree that ArmA 2 on the 360 with a full mission editor would be good. I'm a 360 owner myself, and it's understandable that you are just defending your console of choice.

The PS3 doesn't just support mods in games, though. It also supports keyboard & mouse control, USB transfer of save files, bluetooth communication and control devices, and free cross-platform online gameplay (among other useful features). That's why I made this thread, not really to discuss 360 vs. PS3, but to discuss the possibilities of the PS3 version of ArmA 2.

I will conclude this post by reiterating what I said in earlier post:

I think that regardless of what console(s) Bohemia actually develop ArmA 2 for they should certainly include the full mission editor without any exceptions.

I look forward to BIS creating a combo package with a bundled keyboard and mouse so you won't have to type out scripting commands with our controller sticks. Rock Band's certainly proved that console fanboy's don't mind being raped in the pocketbooks for peripherals that are an ordinary part of any PC.

As for the UT3 mod scene, well reports were that Sony held back the content signing tools allowing third-party content porting from PC to PS3 for the significant fact that externalizing the content importation process would remove the validation process that makes consoles a viable competitor to PC's. Opening the platform to anarchistic development intrinsically destabilizes the whole system at a fundamental design level.

If you lock in the platform and content, you can make guarantees about robustness and stability. If you unlock it, all you'll get is "dude, you content sucks on my system with other people's mods" and "hey, 'hidden' content, I'm sure nobody's going to be sued over this..."

I look forward to BIS creating a combo package with a bundled keyboard and mouse so you won't have to type out scripting commands with our controller sticks. Rock Band's certainly proved that console fanboy's don't mind being raped in the pocketbooks for peripherals that are an ordinary part of any PC.

As for the UT3 mod scene, well reports were that Sony held back the content signing tools allowing third-party content porting from PC to PS3 for the significant fact that externalizing the content importation process would remove the validation process that makes consoles a viable competitor to PC's. Opening the platform to anarchistic development intrinsically destabilizes the whole system at a fundamental design level.

If you lock in the platform and content, you can make guarantees about robustness and stability. If you unlock it, all you'll get is "dude, you content sucks on my system with other people's mods" and "hey, 'hidden' content, I'm sure nobody's going to be sued over this..."

Is that suppose to be an argument? All I'm getting from that is hearsay and diatribe.

As I've said before, this thread isn't really about "this platform or that platform". It's about the possibilities of ArmA 2 on PS3, so if you have nothing constructive or relevant to add to this topic then please do not add anything at all.

Well he actually did made a point, maybe not directly but he did.

If my console would fall victim to 'pc-bugs' like not fully optimized mods with errors and such then I prefer not to have a feature like this. Yeah I know it's still my own decision to actually download and install the mod but as soon as one is popular I would probably need it to play on most servers now wouldn't I? I guess there are enough people who don't care about a glitch or 2 as long as they get some nice looking camo or weapon or whatever in return.

But maybe this is where PC and console should stay seperate, OR teams like BIS should set up a HUGE quality control center to check and validate the user made content before distributing it online.

This is where Live-DLC is good for (now this is just for example!wink_o.gif.

With Xbox Live Downloadable Content, you only get the officially distributed content, this can be for free and it could cost a bit. The downside offcourse is that a team like BIS would probably not be big enough to actually do this on a let's say weekly basis

But at least you know that the content you get will not crash your console and give you blue screens or whatever

If my console would fall victim to 'pc-bugs' like not fully optimized mods with errors and such then I prefer not to have a feature like this. Yeah I know it's still my own decision to actually download and install the mod but as soon as one is popular I would probably need it to play on most servers now wouldn't I?

A mod with game-debilitating errors wouldn't become very popular in the first place, so it's unlikely that you would be forced to deal with a situation like that.

You forgot to quote this part I wrote directly underneath your quote

Quote[/b] ]I guess there are enough people who don't care about a glitch or 2 as long as they get some nice looking camo or weapon or whatever in return.

But I'm not trying to convince anyone of my oppinion, just sharing it to have another view on the subject. As I said, there are ways to get mods into the console version which I would prefer over free uncontrolled content

But I'm not trying to convince anyone of my oppinion, just sharing it to have another view on the subject. As I said, there are ways to get mods into the console version which I would prefer over free uncontrolled content

Do you have any ideas about ArmA 2 on PlayStation 3, specifically?

Nothing more than; Would be cool if they'd support ArmA2 for both PS3 and X360 aswell, probably would buy all versions biggrin_o.gif

Nothing more than; Would be cool if they'd support ArmA2 for both PS3 and X360 aswell, probably would buy all versions biggrin_o.gif

Right on, that would be great, and nothing against the 360 (it's a good console, I like it) but this thread is about the PS3 version of ArmA 2.

So now that we've had a nice off-topic about the 360 and everyone's busted their 360 nut, we can return to discussing the PS3 version of ArmA 2.

I think, we should first ask Placebo, if they are planning a version of ArmA II on PLAYSTATION 3. Then we should speak about the possibilities of ArmA II on PS3. For now, we haven't any announcemnt of ArmA II on PS3, well I think it is not sure, if this version would be. But, if they will realesd this, they should do the same with addons, what Epic Games made with UT III.

I think, we should first ask Placebo, if they are planning a version of ArmA II on PLAYSTATION 3.

It would be great if Placebo could answer that question (it would be even better if he could confirm a PlayStation 3 version of ArmA 2).

...if they will realesd this, they should do the same with addons, what Epic Games made with UT III.

I obviously agree with that idea. I'm not demanding that Bohemia do addons for the PS3 version of ArmA 2, but I'd like them to at least research the idea and, if possible, let us know what they think about it.

Apparently ArmA 2 is going to be released on the PS3. Have Bohemia actually confirmed this as a fact?

Bohemia did a great job of transfering a lot of the technicalities of Flashpoint over to a console with Operation Flashpoint: Elite. I think with the PS3 version of ArmA 2 Bohemia could get away with doing an almost perfect port of the PC version due to the fact that the PS3 is based on an open network, it accepts multiple file types, and Sony is very lenient on user created mods.

I believe at the very least Bohemia could cram the full mission editor into the PS3 version, but what would really set ArmA 2 off on PS3 would be making it so it can accept PC-created mods. Unreal Tournament 3 is a great example of how PC-created mods work on PS3, and I think that ArmA 2 could take console mods and mission creation to the next level.

It would also be interesting if Bohemia would enable cross-platform play between the PC and PS3. I assume both versions will be powered by GameSpy so platform compatibility probably isn't a huge issue. I think the main argument there would be either PC purists not wanting console newbs infecting their servers, or the whole keyboard & mouse vs. controller thing - which is actually something else that Bohemia should consider. Indeed, the PS3 version could have keyboard & mouse support as well as full key customization, because again, Unreal Tournament 3 has proven that this works on PS3.

I want to be clear that these are not features that I'm begging for, I just wish to discuss possibilities for the PS3 version of ArmA 2, so let me know what you think.

I certainly hope BI makes ArmA2 for the PS3 and Xbox360 (in another thread they said that ArmA2 is confirmed for the Xbox360!wink_o.gif

smile_o.gif

I certainly hope BI makes ArmA2 for the PS3 and Xbox360 (in another thread they said that ArmA2 is confirmed for the Xbox360!wink_o.gif

smile_o.gif

Bohemia haven't been very clear on whether or not they are actually going to develop a PS3 version. I obviously hope they do for the reasons I've detailed in this thread. The PS3 has some great features that Bohemia could utilize to make ArmA 2 an exceptional PS3 game.

What i think is that BIS should put 100% effort into the PC version then consider a Port to PS3 or XBox360.

What i think is that BIS should put 100% effort into the PC version then consider a Port to PS3 or XBox360.

How about they put "100% effort" into all versions?

With the small developer team its rather diffucult to do many things once. What ever in console markets this game will not have much space on tought competition.

With the small developer team its rather diffucult to do many things once. What ever in console markets this game will not have much space on tought competition.

The size of the development team and the marketplace competition are irrelevant as long as Bohemia gives each version their best effort (which I think they will).

the problem with PS3 (consoles in general) is we are going to get a large increace in the kids which could become a problem to the part of the community which takes the game seriously in co-ops etc.

urgh High pitch voices from 12 year olds if you guys know what i mean

It might not be the case but its a worry which i have with arma2 at this time

Quote[/b] ]urgh High pitch voices from 12 year olds if you guys know what i mean

Aye, I think the majority knows what you mean, it's what I fear as well will happen if more players come to play this game. This community needs more (serious) people.

Yours,

If bi just puts in a voice ignore option box on every player in say the P key list in arma 1 for the arma 2 game then you can mute yelling 12 year olds so you dont need to listen to them smile_o.gif

I don't think 12 year old's will buy ArmA2 ... so no worries there

(perhaps OFP2 will attrack a younger audience when Codemasters says something like 'from the makers of DIRT and GRID')

the problem with PS3 (consoles in general) is we are going to get a large increace in the kids which could become a problem to the part of the community which takes the game seriously in co-ops etc.

I understand that you basically mean "consoles in general" with that statement but since you pointed out the PS3's online community semi-specifically I'm going to elaborate a bit there. Basically how it works is; around 90% of the PS3's online community doesn't use voice chat. The other 10% that does chat is mostly mature people in their late teens to thirties.

That being the case, you should not have any worries about population pollution in the PS3 version of ArmA 2.

Personally I hope it does come out for PS3, I gave up on Microsoft after 2 RROD, and the wireless wheel was recalled. L-E-M-O-N. Now my kids play Sonic the Hedgehog, and crap like that on it now.

The PS3 is sweet, incorporating the motion sensor aspects would be cool.