Sign in to follow this  
Rambo-16AAB

British kit mod for arma

Have you guys found a way to connect trailers to jeeps? crazy_o.gif

That is really nice, but I would leave the jeeps. And use the time

for other stuff like the gazelle... biggrin_o.gif

And the gazelle is a tad flat and long... Or is it the picture itself? Because the dimensions are a bit off.

The gazelle uses allmost the same engine as the Allouette III and the sound of that engine is allmost 100% accurate on the South African Allouette helicopter that got released some time ago.

Guest RKSL-Rock

I'm not trying to stir trouble up here but you do realise the Gazelle has now been completely withdrawn from frontline service?  I ask because i thought you were making a "modern" mod?

Edits - for the bold qualification

Could a mid 90s-present mod rocko. Though I did see they were going import the DKM fox armoured car which has not seen use in a while. When did they get rid of the Gazelle rock? I didnt see anything about it in AFM. A low key withdrawal unlike the Jaguar. sad_o.gif

That must have been a pretty quick retirement too, I took photos of them still operational ~4 months ago, normally there is quite a drawn out phase of work-down and announcements prior to retirement (the Jaguars were an example of "rapid" withdrawal, accellerated by 6 months or so) so seems rather sudden?

Another legend confined to the history books confused_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
That must have been a pretty quick retirement too, I took photos of them still operational ~4 months ago, normally there is quite a drawn out phase of work-down and announcements prior to retirement (the Jaguars were an example of "rapid" withdrawal, accellerated by 6 months or so) so seems rather sudden?

Another legend confined to the history books  confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The Gazelle AH1 is finally being withdrawn from UK service...

With the majority of the British Army Air Corps fleet approaching 30+ years old the MoD took the decision to immediately retire the older airframes in 2003, followed by a planned gradual withdrawal from front line service and storage at RAF Shawbury…

However the invasion of Iraq in 2003 prolonged the type’s service life until recently when the UK MoD and Army called time on the Gazelle’s service in mid 2007.  The type’s front line duties are now performed by Lynx AH7s of the Army Air Corps and Royal Marines with the remaining aircraft relegated to liaison and VIP work…

Flight International July 2007

From what i've read there are still some types in service but the majority are now in long term storage at Shawbury.  The remaining aircraft that are in service are either in non combat training or liason roles and should completely leave the service at the end of this year. Unless the MoD change thier minds again.

It always seems odd to me that old "classic" designs are not simply remanufactured and updated.  The AH-6/MH-6/MD-500 defender design is a prime example.  These are all based off of a very old design going back to the 70's (or maybe 60's).  Same goes for the Bell AH-1 Cobra that has upgraded numerous times into newer more powerful versions.

At any rate, its sad to see the beautiful Gazelle helicopter withdrawn from service.  I still would like to see it finished however as it was used in Iraq.  You could always also have fictional future missions where they are brought out of mothballs (storage) and put into action.   Plus the model would be of ENORMOUS value for many other mods (or future mods) in ArmA/ArmA2 who may wish to modify the textures for their particular country with the addon maker/s permission.  

So... definitely it would not be a wasted helicopter.  The OFrP Mod's Gazelle in OFP was one of my favorite helicopter addons as it REALLY sounded realistic when it flew overhead and just looked very sleek and lethal.   Plus it was very fun to fly and packed a punch.  I also used our LoBo Egyptian variant (modified with OFrP's permission) in a mission to drop off a two-man Egyptian sniper team which was kinda cool.

So it makes a good recon chopper that extract or insert two-man teams.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Another legend confined to the history books confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The Gazelle AH1 is finally being withdrawn from UK service...

With the majority of the British Army Air Corps fleet approaching 30+ years old the MoD took the decision to immediately retire the older airframes in 2003, followed by a planned gradual withdrawal from front line service and storage at RAF Shawbury…

However the invasion of Iraq in 2003 prolonged the type’s service life until recently when the UK MoD and Army called time on the Gazelle’s service in mid 2007. The type’s front line duties are now performed by Lynx AH7s of the Army Air Corps and Royal Marines with the remaining aircraft relegated to liaison and VIP work…

Flight International July 2007

From what i've read there are still some types in service but the majority are now in long term storage at Shawbury. The remaining aircraft that are in service are either in non combat training or liason roles and should completely leave the service at the end of this year. Unless the MoD change thier minds again.

Thanks for the clarification, strange that I missed that, i try to keep up with these things, but its not always easy.

the odd shape is caused by 2 things

1:- my widescreen monitor which does odd things to screen shots

2:- my own own learning "curve" with the curvy shapes in the gazelle (pardon the pun ).

I hadnt heard about the withdrawall of the Gazelle ether, but I had heard of the withdrawall of the Lynx the end of the year ( it was on the news ).

This one im building from photos taken last summer.

The fox was in the DKM pack, so it was being converted. If it actuall makes it into the mod or not is a different matter. Its more appropriate to Col Falkners mod and we have a good bit of cooperation with each other. His mod covers up to the mid 80's so we might continue from that point with our mod. It depends on how much we can source or build within a reasonable time scale.

P.S. the trailer is an experiment. I have a few ideas on it and that Ladrover combi was created a the test bed for it.

The lynx? I dunno how the MoD plan to do that as we do not have a suitable design in enough numbers to replace the Army and Navy types. huh.gif

It was on BBC Scotland news about a week or so ago. A Heli repair base up here is going to close with the loss of X ammount of jobs due to the planned removal from service of Lynx & seaking , which is the two types they service at that base. ( cant remember the name ).

It was on BBC Scotland news about a week or so ago. A Heli repair base up here is going to close with the loss of X ammount of jobs due to the planned removal from service of Lynx & seaking , which is the two types they service at that base. ( cant remember the name ).

That does not mean that every Lynx in the armed forces will be retired.

Bit odd seeing as they are bringing old Navy seaking out of mothballs and sending them to the Middle East.

Yeah, I know the Navy have converted older Seakings (which have been displaced by the Merlins) into commando carrying helicopters for the RM. How recently ago I do not know. So this could be old infomation. huh.gifthumbs-up.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
true, but thats all the info I can remember from the news bulitin.

The AH7 and AH9s will remain in service until 2014 (last date i heard) until they can be replaced with the "Future Lynx".

Essentially The Lynx is getting the same treatment as the Gazelle but over a longer drawn out period.  The Current situation in Iraq and Afgahistan wasn't in the original retirement plan drawn up in 2000 so its meant the aircraft have had a lot of money poured into them to keep the younger airframes in the air.  As a result the older ones have been mothballed as a cost saving exercise.  But the Lynx is still actively used over the front lines and will continue on for some time yet.

Bit odd seeing as they are bringing old Navy seaking out of mothballs and sending them to the Middle East.

Thats due to the shortage of Medium Lift helicopters. And its only the newer airframes. Some perfectly good aircraft were stored at Yeovil and Shawbury as part of a cost saving exercise in 2002. Its only now that the MoD has found the money to get them flying again

Looking great so far!

wth is all this about 'modern, up to date' and all that bolz?

So the Gazelle is being retired from frontline service - dumb move if you ask me, but there you go - so what?

If the only way that we keep the aircraft flying is in our memory and in simulations then great - I would dearly love to have this bird in ArmA, I spent AGES flying it in FlightSim, and it'll be cool to be able to fly in ArmA, in action, instead of just doing imaginary attack runs in flightsim.

Keep it up Rambo - looking forward to flying that bird!!

WarWolf @ Feb. 13 2008,21:45)]wth is all this about 'modern, up to date' and all that bolz?

I think the argument is more about the fact that this is a modern combat simulation game, but yes, build it if you want to use it.

Unless it has the spotting ability that can view out to long distances, the Gazelle is pretty much useless. It is like the AH-6 but without the weapons.

Say what?huh.gif? The Gazelle is fully capable of carrying a huge variety of weaponry including cannons, machine guns, rocket pods, and ATGM's like the HOT missiles.

So in essence it can operate as a light gunship. During the 1982 Lebanon invasion by Israel, the IDF actually had a tough time defending against Syrian Gazelle gunships when they first turned up on the battlefield. Eventually, the IAF was able to handle them, but still they were tough to shoot down due to their ability to hide behind buildings, trees, and in valleys.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Guest RKSL-Rock
Say what?huh.gif?  The Gazelle is fully capable of carrying a huge variety of weaponry including cannons, machine guns, rocket pods, and ATGM's like the HOT missiles.

So in essence it can operate as a light gunship.  During the 1982 Lebanon invasion by Israel, the IDF actually had a tough time defending against Syrian Gazelle gunships when they first turned up on the battlefield.  Eventually, the IAF was able to handle them, but still they were tough to shoot down due to their ability to hide behind buildings, trees, and in valleys.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Yeah but the British Gazelles havent carried anything other than a Roof mounted sight since the mid 80's.  They were deemed too vulnerable on todays battlefield by the ArmA and Marines... not to mention expensive to keep flying.

They were deemed too vulnerable on todays battlefield by the ArmA and Marines... not to mention expensive to keep flying.

Someones got ArmA on the brain tounge2.gif

Say what?huh.gif? The Gazelle is fully capable of carrying a huge variety of weaponry including cannons, machine guns, rocket pods, and ATGM's like the HOT missiles.

So in essence it can operate as a light gunship. During the 1982 Lebanon invasion by Israel, the IDF actually had a tough time defending against Syrian Gazelle gunships when they first turned up on the battlefield. Eventually, the IAF was able to handle them, but still they were tough to shoot down due to their ability to hide behind buildings, trees, and in valleys.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Quote[/b] ]British kit mod for arma

I win.