Sign in to follow this  
norsu

Good aerial photos of varied terrain

This is a map service of my old home town. It has good aerial photos of a large area that has quite varied terrain, this should help when drawing satellite maps.

http://kartta.lahti.fi/

On left you should see a toolbar. Set 'Kartta' to 'Ilmakuva' and you should see the photos. You can also change between August 2005 and September 2001 photo sets using the two checkboxes.

How will you extract the data in a reasonably practical manner?

Perhaps create a macro that moves the the map at max res and saves each tile?

I mainly ment that this could be useful when fine tuning your satellite texture. For example I made a nice pine forest brush for Photoshop using these photos wink_o.gif. There are all kinds of things visible in greater quality than in most satellite maps. For example football fields, houses, grain fields etc.

Sorry, big crash of PC, Harddrive fcked.

Lost a lott of stuff, gonne be a bit of a delay on the release of more high detailed sat pics.

Later,

Allie

Zoom down on as low level as G'Earth gives you, press Ctrl+Alt+S. If it's a bigger area than one screen, take several shots and combine them in your preferred photo editing software.

As mentioned in another thread, this tool works great and was a lot easier than my usual cut and pasting of screen images:

http://www.aaaasoft.com/gmid/

I bought the program to enable me to get the close-in zoom levels and was well worth the cost in time saved. Plus the distortion issue with the edges is a non-issue. If you send me the long-lat corners of your area I might be able to help out.

I'm also using GMID in order to export my sat maps from Google Earth but I've got a problem with this software. It's very difficult to extract big ( HUDGE) images because of the ban witch always stop my downloads...

What is your config (sleep time, number of downloads...) ?

Do you fellas have another system for importing terrain to match those sat overlays?

It's quite complicated to get the terrain match the sat overlay. Basically I take a coordinate. I find the coordinates wich provide a 10 km x 10 km (or more, but the sides of the maps must be equals !wink_o.gif map using this simple website:

http://www.lexilogos.com/calcul_distances.htm  

(It calcul the distance beetwen two point using coordinates).

Then I use GMID using my new coordinates.

And finally I use this website

http://seamless.usgs.gov/

and the sames coordinates. It's not 100% efficient but it save a lot of time.

Finally I use photoshop to have a quasi perfect match.

I found a nice island, or its a few islands that i would like to do. Cant manage the prgram to download the sat pic´s.

It´s 26 12 17.71N

127 17 48.93 E at the center of the islands if someone like to go check it for me and let me know the numbers to put in GMID to download it.

I must be stupid banghead.gif

You can switch to decimal lat/long in Google Earth setup/option...

Yes, and i did, program only start to load, then a lot of massages told me cant refer to map or picure blank.

As i understood, you have to put 2 refernace points into it, the NW point and the SE point, then the program make a square of it and took a lot of pics for you?huh.gif

I used this: 26 17 40.38 N 127 20 41.87 W for NW point

and 26 05 25.32 N 127 16 32.26 E for the SW point

everything was converted before put into program.

Cant see whats wrong

I also have that problem before to discover the right way to do it.

You have to take the top left corner of your zone. Keep those coordinate in mind. Then go: http://www.lexilogos.com/calcul_distances.htm

You have to calcul the distance the other points with the same distance between them. (sorry for my ugly english...) When you have all those points in decimal just go in GMID and download it. If it dont work try to reduce the zoom... If it dont work, try and try again until you understand the method. But dont try to make it with just Google Earth...

Here are **reduced** size images (to meet forum rules) of the area you want:

At zoom 12 you have this - not detailed enough for use really:

bigmapz12.jpg

At zoom 16 you lose everything except the left island because Google does not have high res images of those areas.

zoom16.jpg

Here is an unreduced section of the zoom 16 image:

Zoom16-100percent.jpg

If you want to just do the left island group (looks quite interesting) I will attempt to grab it at zoom 18 for you. Let me know.

Thanks a lot, it would be nice if you like to do it in 18 for me.

Think it gona be a nice map. Do as much you feel and then send me a PM.

Thanks a lot