Sign in to follow this  
EddiePrice

Custom face

Hey guys,

I've been searching these forums for a while for a solution to my problem. I seem to not be able to see my custom face when I host multiplayer or join a server without a custom face file limit.

The face shows up in SP but I just get "whitey" in MP, even when I'm the host.

Any ideas? Does the game not allow over a certain size or something?

Thanks!

Make sure that your face picture is under 50 kb, then theres no problems

So there is a limit? 50kb? Seems a little low when at full res my face is 900kb.

I believe it's 100kb and make sure it's JPEG and at a low resolution.

I don´t think there´s a limit for that, but some servers doesn´t allow it to be more than 50-80kb. But hey what do I really know  biggrin_o.gif

*edit*

confirmed, 100kb is the limit

The problem is, if everyone uses, for example, a 1mb customface on a 32 player server, then someone connecting means 63mb of data for the server to send/recive, just to get the faces of all the other players and give them yours*....everytime someone connects! Add custom sounds, data because you join in progress, the mission itself and suddenly you need a dedicated 100mbit connection just to be able to provide a smooth 32 player experience on a single server.

*(They need your face: 31mb to send, 1mb to recive for the server, you need their faces too: another 31mb)

If there's a filesize limit on a server (for example 40kb) and your files (face.jpg or custom sounds) are too big (40.1kb ++) you are not able to connect. You'll get autokicked by the server.

MfG Medicus

Yeah thanks guys. I knew about the server limits, but I was wondering why there's a limit when I host is all.

Cheers.