Sign in to follow this  
Darkstorn

Sako trg-42

Hi, basically this is my first WIP/Addon post here ever, although i've been lurking the place for several years, and i do have even more years in terms of experience, i just never went into putting my stuff into OFP/ARMA before but i thought what the hell, let's go for it.

Now, i have zero experience in modding for either game, but then again i don't put my own stuff into other games but instead i ask others to do it. So, why not again? Maybe RobertHammer would be up for the job, since he already converted my Sako RK95(more accurately, M92/S) into Arma. Without permission i might add but i don't mind too much, he did credit and it looks far better in ARMA than it did in Half-Life 2.

So, the model is done, there are already a few textures released for this, but this is my personal project which is still pretty early. Maybe less than 50% is done even though it looks like it has more than that; As of now it's still basically basic texturing with lighting added, and almost zero grunge and dirt etc.

And yes, there's two versions. I'm texturing the folding stock variant, but i might do the other one as well later.

Here's a shot of both models:

trg8nv3.jpg

The folding stock variant is about 8300 triangles, and the regular one is 6500-ish. I did count the muzzle break and front sight for the folding stock model although both parts are 'extra'.

And here's the still-heavy-WIP texture:

trgcp8.jpg

Great stuff. Hope we see more soon smile_o.gif

That is simply great so far.

Check Here For quite a few largish pictures of one.

When it comes to calibres any chance of seeing .300 Win Mag?

Well, as far as i know, the only differences are the text on the barrel, and the .300 Win Mag barrel is also slightly smaller.

So maybe, although it's fairly unnoticeable. smile_o.gif

And thanks for that link, although i already have it as my main source of refs. smile_o.gif

/E: Of course the magazine and bullets would have to be fixed as well, but again, you never see them ingame anyways. smile_o.gif

Wow...this looks fantastic! I can't wait to see the finished product.

inlove.gif If you ever want to join a mod, let me know.

Abs

Great work!

I hope you will have the same quality of work in all aspects of this addon.

that is definitly a badass looking gun. The textures are extremly good looking so far and the model is just fine.

However painting the complete lighting onto the texture might be looking a bit weird ingame due to the pretty advanced lighting system which comes with the game engine. A simple, baked AO map is already enough for the shadows in the most cases.

the polycount shouldnt really be a problem, if you do proper lods.

However painting the complete lighting onto the texture might be looking a bit weird ingame due to the pretty advanced lighting system which comes with the game engine. A simple, baked AO map is already enough for the shadows in the most cases.

I would add some lighting to textures because sun or moonlight (only light sources that use normal maps etc.) doesn't always shine to your model. For example when player is in shadow of a building, his weapon without any painted lighting effects will look very plain.

I would add some lighting to textures because sun or moonlight (only light sources that use normal maps etc.) doesn't always shine to your model. For example when player is in shadow of a building, his weapon without any painted lighting effects will look very plain.

as i already said. A simpe AmbientOcclusion map together with some basic highlighting should be enough for that. But i think painting the complete lighting onto the texture is just looking weird ingame in the most cases.

Well, i don't use AO, i always paint the lighting myself.

Unfortunately Arma isn't the only game i'm doing it for, which means i have to do the lighting anyways, and i really don't like how AO looks like.

Very nice work. I just saw this on the cdg forums and I must say, if it looks that good in CS:S, it'll look awesome in ArmA with correct use of sharp edges and a decent shadow lod. If you need any help, give me a shout via PM and/or email/MSN and I'll try to help you out.

Quote[/b] ] I just saw this on the cdg forums and I must say, if it looks that good in CS:S, it'll look awesome in ArmA with correct use of sharp edges and a decent shadow lod

I agree with Jackal , i say very nice work too smile_o.gif

Good luck with your models and work wink_o.gif

Too bad for ArmA players then. This scope will look unnatural - there will be shadows and lightning from engine and from texture overlapping, first ones will move and behave naturally, second ones will look fake. If you're working on separate layers you could put all the shadows in AS map and leave the color without them.

I must say it's an amazing model. Really astonishing work. notworthy.gif And I hope to see it soon ingame.

Polycount is not an issue as long as the game runs at all.

And if you really need to go down on polygons use the highpoly model to render a normal map for lowpoly model.

But few thousand polies is still correct.

AS map is a map containing prerendered shadow that is displayed when faces are turned away from light. It gives a very nice 3-D impression (because the shadows are darkest in cavities) and really is worth the additional texture.

And then there are material tweaks - you can make the engine-casted shadow less dark so that the shading is more visible and dominates over the normal volumetric shadow and you can also make the AS map slightly visible even if lighted (if yu really want to, would actually make more sense to put the same AO as a layer in standard texture).

Mark, you should know that's a wussy cartridge. biggrin_o.gif

Great job - will love to get to use this once I get my ArmA in a playable condition. What kind of optics are you going to fit on it? (the basic FDF mod scope in OFP is kinda... annoying in some cases)

Any other Finnish/less used stuff following? AMP DSR-1 would be 'nice'... hahaa great work dude, love to get one of our best products represented in rather suberb quality!

Great job - will love to get to use this once I get my ArmA in a playable condition. What kind of optics are you going to fit on it? (the basic FDF mod scope in OFP is kinda... annoying in some cases)

I haven't even thought about that really yet. I think i'll go with something quite standard(being a pretty standard scope in the first place).

Quote[/b] ]

Any other Finnish/less used stuff following? AMP DSR-1 would be 'nice'... hahaa great work dude, love to get one of our best products represented in rather suberb quality!

Well, i was in fact planning on doing the Valmet M76 next.

Yeah rk62/m76 would be nice.

BTW. about that TRG-42. Does it destroy bmp:s with one shot? The tungsten penetrator API ammunition (fdf service) does penetrate 500mm RHA (!wink_o.gif It can ignite diesel above -30 C temperature. rofl.gif

Besides muzzle blast is huge with this monster. Do you plan to do a silenced version of it?

No, i didn't forget this thread, i'm just damn lazy. :P

Anyway, as you can see there's lots of progress, but i've yet to make a new scope for it(i have started on the model for it though).

Also, ignore the non-realistic frame colour, i just thought this particular one looked the best in Source. I'll do both the more realistic green one i showed earlier and also black.

Anyway, soon i can also start the solid stock. smile_o.gif

trgoc9.jpg

trgxb7.jpg

That's Awesome!

Can't wait to see it in game..