Sign in to follow this  
Hoot1988

Any modern space combat flight sims around?

I was watchig some cutscenes from a 1990s game you may all have heard of called wing commander. I tryed loading the 1999 prophecy version on my computer but the game is to dated to run. I was wondering if anyone can recommend any recent games that fit into the Space combat Flight Sim Genre?

Based on the VegaStrike engine,

The very excellent Wing Commander : Privateer Remake + Parallel Universe mod for it.

There is another similar recreation of WC:Privateer, named Gemini Gold, but despite being good too, i strongly prefer the Privateer Remake.

It was already awesome before and is not difficult to get,

Freespace 2 , the new features from the SCP and the now shader and normal map supporting media extra packs make it visually even more awesome than it was already.

Hundred of campaigns and excellent mission editor makes it one of the best of its category.

i assume its beacuse its difficult to get hold of that theres a used copy of freespace 2 on play.com for 299 pounds. lol.

Eve i looked into but i refuse to pay monthly for a game, no game is worth 96 pounds a year...

Ill look at the ones suggested, i think its a shame that not many of these kinds of games are in production these days. We Had our own server in my uni halls of Freelancer, that was awsum. It be good to see role playing games where you can be a trader, soldier or explorer in this category of game play.

It all depends on how much more you want besides the flight and fight part.

The X series is the best I've found so far, I'm still playing the hell outa X3.   It has first person pilot fighting, with fighters and capital ships.  But it's also a huge sim economy/ trade/ build/ pillage...if you wanna be a pirate smile_o.gif

Massive ship pack mods available for it right now for free.

Heres a wiki of X3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X%C2%B3:_Reunion

Speaking of free, there is a big Babylon 5 game for free, I played it, but damn! The real physics of flying and shooting take some getting used to.

This link should set you up if you want it.

http://ifh.firstones.com/

Freelancer in MP is mildly fun. The SP is better. The MP is..mneh. You play it for a couple of days, you get into it, then you reach the top really fast and then you're out of it.

i assume its beacuse its difficult to get hold of that theres a used copy of freespace 2 on play.com for 299 pounds. lol.

Eve i looked into but i refuse to pay monthly for a game, no game is worth 96 pounds a year...

Ill look at the ones suggested, i think its a shame that not many of these kinds of games are in production these days. We Had our own server in my uni halls of Freelancer, that was awsum. It be good to see role playing games where you can be a trader, soldier or explorer in this category of game play.

Freespace 2 has been open sourced, meaning you can legally download it off the internet for free.

FS2 is pretty old, but it has been heavily modded and looks much better than it used to.

You should be able to find a link here, just make sure to install the SCP modification so that you can get the new graphics updates.

There are two interesting russian space games, one is Tarr Chronicles, which seems to have an english release, and Tomorrow War, which is awaiting a conversion to english...

But yeah, IMHO there still hasn't come anything out that would best Freespace 2

With Freespace2 anyways, you can never be wrong :

-nearly perfect gameplay

-multiplayer

-nice sense of scale

-very interesting story

-superb music, voice acting and sound effects

-mission editor available

-complete port of FS1 + Silent Threat campaigns available for FS2

-tons of very well done community made campaigns

-never ending developement and feature addition with the SCP

-fun

If you are looking for a realistic simulation of space travel, see the excellent freeware Orbiter , it should deliver all you hoped.

Freespace 2 has been open sourced, meaning you can legally download it off the internet for free.

That is not what open source means at all. Warezing the whole game from the internet is quite probably still illegal.

Actually concerning Freespace 2, there is a loophole in the EULA, after Voliton released the whole source code of Freespace 2 for free, and the end of the Interplay company (owner of Voliton) :

Quote[/b] ]FreeSpace 2 actually has a clause in the license agreement stating that it is legal to give a copy of FS2 to a friend, and for noncommercial use.

Quote from the EULA:

* "[...] You may make copies of the Software for your personal noncommercial use and to give to friends and acquaintances on a no cost noncommercial basis [...]"

So be nice to anyone who has it, and then maybe they'll burn it for you.

If you are really stuck, ask a forum member to burn a copy and mail it to you? You will then be their minion, but hey, FS2 is worth subservience.

Of course, this is like walking on a thin rope, and notice that there is nothing like this for Freespace 1.

From the FS2 EULA:

Quote[/b] ]You may make copies of the Software

for your personal noncommercial home entertainment use and to give to

friends and acquaintances on a no cost noncommercial basis.

xmas_o.gif

With some nifty tricks (legal) though, you can play eve-online and pay on a 90-day basis for 26€ every 90 days.

It's just like the old elite-games just much better biggrin_o.gif

For those who haven't tried it, theres a 14-day trial for free, just go to http://www.eve-online.com

Universal Combat curiously has a "free roam" mode that is also available for multiplayer, where you can also pull cargo-hauling assignments, amongst other non-combat ones... I gotta try that out!

Universal Combat Freeware is only Single Player plus it's like all Dereck's games ...

weird, often buggy and overcomplex

i can't even try imagine what would happen if he really got rights to make Freespace 3

With some nifty tricks (legal) though, you can play eve-online and pay on a 90-day basis for 26€ every 90 days.

It's just like the old elite-games just much better biggrin_o.gif

For those who haven't tried it, theres a 14-day trial for free, just go to http://www.eve-online.com

Read and heard many good things about EVE, but I will never pay for playing online. But, 14-day trial for free... I can do that.  tounge2.gif  wink_o.gif