Sign in to follow this  
Tigran

So can anyone tell me why everyone is playing coop

IMHO this is how different players see the gameplay in different ways:

I can't say you're wrong in your opinions, it's just that the coin always has two sides...

smile_o.gif

I think you might need an upgrade or you havent patched up your game, in my case Arma performs much better than OPF:R (wich even at a high and consistent frame rate always felt sluggish and jerky), in Arma performing a 90 or 180 degree turn i always have a consistent response. Looking around, aiming, free look, etc is much more steady and precise than OPF (mouse/view response) and this allows me to react faster and with greater precision.

I have no problems with the animations, maybe im just used to them, anyway i have smoother movement and control on a basic handgun deathmatch with Arma than i ever had in OPF.

Leaning is always usefull and being able to roll has saved my skin in situations where i find myself under fire or in desperate need of a reload, in OPF the only thing you could do was crawl and get shot at so..

smile_o.gif .

Hmmm, I guess the bigger problem for many PvP Servers / Communities is their choice to use Linux as server and as such can't use the v1.09beta :P

Still I believe v1.09beta is just as much beta as any of the ArmA versions that became before it. So I believe it's a false argument to say "I dont use it because it's beta"

@Whisper:

ACE is probably going to be a huge mod, in 100's of MB's I believe.. Reading the reluctance of using a 5mb beta patch, and 100kb mods, I believe such people should be served by a small/minimal mod that resolves all problems for them but doesn't add new content etc.

In any case, the important part is creating a supported platform which is easy usable and installable and got proper docs etc.. As that is what seems to be wished for by Server Operators / Diverse Community Admins.

For me ArmA feels perfect in every sense, I've no problems with any aspect of the movement etc... So we really should find some PVP experts who can tell us exactly what their problems are with ArmA, while using ArmA v1.09beta + Proper Mods :S

Quote[/b] ]True but still doesn't take away the fact that interpolation (??) is not used
I believe it is used, it's just buggy, hence they jump. Interpolation says "They're _HERE_", engine pos update says "No, they're not there, they're _HERE_".
Quote[/b] ]vast majority of server is not optimised for that...hence a new player playing the game...starts thinking that he lags
So it's the blame game again? I'm sorry but when I run a server, I know what I run, and I know (or otherwise find out) how to optimize this server for my needs. Maybe the server owners should buckle up some more and take matter in their own hands (as it should. They run a server, it's their responsibility! ).
Quote[/b] ]With 4-5 players online the bandwith sent is sometimes up to 2-3MB
You mean Megabit right? Not MegaByte? I don't see the problem so much, my experience is: 2-3Mb per 10-15players, in coop games with ~120 AI. In any case the bandwidth usage etc is tunable. I believe you can still play properly if you tune it low.
Quote[/b] ]This is ok...however not many mission makers (if any) take that into account.
Then they should start taking it into account. Server Admins & Mission Makers responsibility here.

Creating a mission with 800 AI and 600 Vehicles is gonna run like shit aswell. Shoot the maker, shoot the server admin who put it on his server, it's that simple.

Quote[/b] ]true current servers and bandwith suffice..but how much does it cost...a normal p4 3ghz, 1gb memory will set you back minimum 50-60 pounds per month, because unless you have a dedicated server arma cannot run...not on the above machine anyway...so again is far more expensive than running other game servers...
P4 is old, a current server should have a Core2, Xeon or Opteron cpu, and is multicore.  ArmA server simply requires 1 core (same for OFP). Vietcong1 servers require about 1/3 core. Vietcong2 servers require about 1/2 core. Looking at the size of maps, amount of AI and players, I believe using 1 full core isn't that bad.

Still, yes, it is more than other games.

I buy my own servers and then host them at a hosting company. My monthly fee is about half of yours, while my server is a quad or octet core. It's an investment, but you've got options then smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ](i would be quite interested in knowing what is the minerrortosend that you have found as optimum...and if that is different than 1.08)
Im using with v1.09beta: MinErrorToSend=0.0025;

I dont remember the difference with v1.08. Above value seems to be an okay tradeOff between bandwidth and jumping soldiers.

Still, I don't see how this is relevant to the question why everyone is playing Coop, and what happened to PvP/Leagues, as the setting only really applies to AI afaik smile_o.gif

I've been lurking on this topic for a while and finally had an additional point worth making smile_o.gif

Theatre of War is a PvP tournament and we have a good playerbase. But although we use a windows based server we cannot use 1.09 as there seems to be abug which crashes the server when you get more than 50 players. I believe BIS are aware, have isolated and fixed the bug, but until the final patch or a new build is released, we have to stick to using 1.08 with its limitations.

We use quite a few mods and scritps to make tailor the fighting to what our players desire, which obviously matches a few of the requests from the PvP guys posting here. We don't like to rush into using beta versions but it was clear the 1.09 did alot of good for the multiplayer experience so we wanted to move to it quickly and it's a shame we can't

For me personally co-op brings out the best in ArmA.

Teamwork is really great when you get together with people you know. I dont play it public at all.

Adverserial modes however i did play in pubs, and by god i hated it. All servers i saw were pretty much all deathmatch, with maps consisting of buildings slapped together to create artificial chokepoints and looking like total shite.

Players abusing the leaning system and noob-calling. My god!

If i didnt know any better i would swear i was playing some kiddy CS crap or something!

fact is that cs along with other fps games have really alota players and that's the difference here. ofp had also a healthy playerpot over years due being compatible for all kind of gameplays. now it seems that nothink really fits except coop with minor or for some others major problems like the bridges and the "so called" stupid ai's, where i can't agree as i haven't saw anythink better out there except scripted stuff.

BIS made ArmA what the coop community wished for. its big with over 100 ai's, graphics are fine and you can shoot bullets. but what actually happend is the massive lost of trusted members in every sector, specialy allmost the whole PvP community and i see still ppl bashing the arcade, cs nooby fast paced simulator versus real human enemies gamestyle without getting the point. who would get hurted if arma would have appealed to a bigger market. more players, more money, more servers, more games, more ArmA3 or simply better for all.

i for myself would be even more happy if they would stop working on 1.09b and invest all their empl. resources on ArmA2 and learn from their PvP faults. the old idee of free movement needs to be redefined in the basic controls...

Still, I don't see how this is relevant to the question why everyone is playing Coop, and what happened to PvP/Leagues, as the setting only really applies to AI afaik smile_o.gif

point i'm trying to make...is that in my opinion netcode and setting up of servers is not making any favours to the online game...hence less servers, less people, less PvP player base....

Out of all the servers it's COOP unless it's RPG. Someone host a fricking PVP server. Christ, aren't you people sick of playin CO-OP Evolution? Tsk.

Out of all the servers it's COOP unless it's RPG. Someone host a fricking PVP server. Christ, aren't you people sick of playin CO-OP Evolution? Tsk.

Maybe read up on what's going on in the thread instead of just headless posting thumbs-up.gif

Maybe read up on what's going on in the thread instead of just headless posting  thumbs-up.gif

Well the FPC CTF server is still going strong at the moment and it gets a good full server most times ppl are playing on it.

There's a good selection of maps on it from the MCY,SBS. and various other clans and from the GC site as well so there should be CTF style map for most ppl to play allso (FPC) Charlie Chicken has made at least 15 maps and has started putting armor in them to mix up the game play so all are

welcome.gif to play on it if your a PvP or COOP player.

ArmA/OFP type games have certainly the best potential to get authentic CTI MP match in big terrain with some +50 players the game engine however isnt that great due unoptimised to multicore CPUs and lack of gameplay options.

Maybe read up on what's going on in the thread instead of just headless posting thumbs-up.gif

A bunch of people rambling about where everyone went and why we play co-op? No thanks a simple answer would of fixed that. goodnight.gif

You're all just scared I'll woop you in ARMA, it's ok to admit you guys suck. pistols.gif

Quote[/b] ]

You're all just scared I'll woop you in ARMA, it's ok to admit you guys suck.  pistols.gif

This is why I play Co-Op it tends to keep the rif-raf out.

banghead.gif

Wow big topic still rolling.I have some comments.

Quote[/b] ]

Why is everyone playing coop

I can think of few reasons...

Not as large of player base due to lower sales or whatever reasons (newness of Bis games wears off, OFP players didn't switch,game is basically same as OFP but with less content,advertising,not in-store for game-lurkers to grab and buy)

Absence of linux servers takes a hit apparantly

The beta reasons stated posts before hurts

I originally bought OFP for SP, and I did play much CTF and PVP type missions.Which is why I am sorta lil bored with that.

I am a vehicle type person and saw all the vehicles in OFP and had-to-have and that maybe brought alot of other players in awe to try the game also

I play coop (evo is new to me as I didn't play it in OFP at all)

I like the gameplay as it is similiar to the run and gun shooters and instead of playing those other games.

I play Evo sometimes

Kar's RTS server has died and I liked that too.

I suppose as a long time OFP player, I look for something different

I like how the AI is pretty good and it is challenging.

You get upset at a human player that is good (the acusations of cheating start)

I like the anims in Arma, pulling out your AT weapon takes seconds and is near realistic as opposed to BF2 when I run outta ammo with one weapon you pull out the other is quicker than reloading (suppose its somewhat realistic as your pistol is usually loaded and handy)

Not stopping when you stop pressing forward is annoying too (makes you creep too far and get shot)

With Armas hunting ground type gamestyle could you imagine a human player with steady shot sitting outta sight in a mountain sniping out everyone ? (realistic)

Just wouldn't be fun

I play coop as I just wanna have fun for a bit (sometimes hours) and I don't always want the organized preparation that needs coordinated effort to achieve a goal, as you usually only have one chance (one life) which is another type of Bis gameplay that I like too ,just don't always have the time or patience

Coop often forces me to cooperate and finish the mission altho sometimes I'd like to just play for a bit and leave

Which leaves me hard-to-believe that their isn't more PVP missions happening as I would like to join some for a bit and then leave.Just their isn't alot of missions going on for me to join

I also think that Bis didn't make the sales needed to support this game for much longer, thats why it is up to us to improve.

They need to concentrate on Arma2 and dazzle us and the public a lil better next time (more content,ranking option etc...)

I still play BF2 (mainly only cause of the ranking and I am almost there) and recently see alot of new people again.

we keep saying..lettme guess you just got the game for christmas ?

So expect some new players next christmas for gun fodder, lets prepare

Quote[/b] ]

You're all just scared I'll woop you in ARMA, it's ok to admit you guys suck. pistols.gif

This is why I play Co-Op it tends to keep the rif-raf out.

banghead.gif

Thats all good.

Just seperates the boys from the men. nener.gif

Just seperates the boys from the men. nener.gif

hey boy, you got that one right! smile_o.gif

For me ArmA was created for Coops, and CTIs. Only one Small map witch I like in ArmA is "Hexenkessel" this mission is so funny 15v15, in OFP on Hexenkessel You can walk on roofs of buildings biggrin_o.gif.

For me ArmA was created for Coops, and CTIs. Only one Small map witch I like in ArmA is "Hexenkessel" this mission is so funny 15v15, in OFP on Hexenkessel You can walk on roofs of buildings biggrin_o.gif.

lol

at least one who likes that mission!

Even me who converted this mission from OFP into ArmA doesnt like it!

rofl.gif

nah its just funny like some people write here..."Just seperates the boys from the men."...rofl...all clear here... whistle.gif

its sad that this thread went into some strange talking again after some serious workaround ideas.

looking forward to see some ideas which were mentioned here getting real!

icon_rolleyes.gif